Saints travels through the years.

5 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Perhaps this tournament as I also watched both days from the centenary stand:

IMG_1887.thumb.jpeg.e4d076d3f6bbe8adefb37544a8ad4467.jpeg

IMG_1888.thumb.jpeg.4f73759aca5dbbda6163ac5e3fc446d6.jpeg

Was at both games too also, watched the Rangers v Southampton {Davy Coopers first game for them kinda} before the Saints v West brom classic what a game it was.  Didn't wait for the final I think Rangers won it...

No the games i was talking about were later maybe as late as the early 80s and the Copland end at that tournament was still terracing i remember

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That West Brom game remains to this day one of the best football matches I have ever witnessed. It was incredible.

I’d imagine that was probably my first visit to Ibrox too. 

It was a cracker West Brom were a revelation in England at the time with world class players the most exciting team to watch and Saints went toe to toe with them I actually thought we were the better team in the game...

Stan Park also said we should have beat them 9-4  :rolleyes: 

16 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Was at both games too also, watched the Rangers v Southampton {Davy Coopers first game for them kinda} before the Saints v West brom classic what a game it was.  Didn't wait for the final I think Rangers won it...

West Brom won. Laurie Cunningham scored 2 goals with no reply.

Wullie Johnston lifted the trophy.

IMG_1992.jpeg.be176089a6fea18a1626d7cc47178003.jpeg

Saints lost 2-1 to the southern fake Saints of Southampton (St Mary’s). 

I believe big Jim Clunie was still in the dugout for Southampton as assistant manager/coach or whatever the fcuk his title was.
Jim liked to swear a fcuking lot especially on live radio phone ins! 😂 

In 1976, Clunie was a coach at Southamptonwhen the club won the FA Cup by beating Manchester United 1-0 in the 1976 FA Cup Final.

IMG_1994.thumb.jpeg.f3c0e77a31e0369253a69dd91240b3aa.jpegIMG_1995.thumb.jpeg.44d42696c4e604821967dc9df687327e.jpegIMG_1993.thumb.jpeg.6dd167e6f3b210fc804251660951e9a8.jpeg

Edited by Albanian Buddy

Just watched the Europa Cup final, seen a youngster in the crowd totally overwhelmed when Seville won on penalties.

Is there a better feeling than watching your team win with a son/daughter/family member with you?

The League Cup win in 2013 for us was exactly that with my son, the feeling was beyond expression, something to treasure.

Unfortunately, I was with my daughter when we were robbed against Rangers in the 2010 final, heartbreaking but still an unforgetful memory. 

Apologies to shull for bursting his bubble. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 11:12 PM, faraway saint said:

Just watched the Europa Cup final, seen a youngster in the crowd totally overwhelmed when Seville won on penalties.

Is there a better feeling than watching your team win with a son/daughter/family member with you?

The League Cup win in 2013 for us was exactly that with my son, the feeling was beyond expression, something to treasure.

Unfortunately, I was with my daughter when we were robbed against Rangers in the 2010 final, heartbreaking but still an unforgetful memory. 

Apologies to shull for bursting his bubble. :lol:

The finals were still on free-to-air on those days so the story is just about believeable