Tear-jerkers

Bill Lees

Right - I'm well aware that most of you lot out there consider yourselves to be right hard b@stards. But I was at Love Street on April the 29th, 2000, and I know that I wasn't alone in standing there on the terraces after full time and weeping buckets on that most emotional of occasions. The question is, having admitted (as you all surely will) to being unable to resist the watter-works kicking in on at least that one occasion, how many others are there ? I'm talking fillums here, and why ? Because I've just been watching a fillum on DVD called "About Schmidt", which features a simply magnificent performance by Jack Nicholson, and an ending which I defy anybody not to be a hopeless, bubbling, gibbering wreck on witnessing. I was, and so was Mrs. L. As far as greeting at fillums goes, Big Jack in "About Schmidt" has just leapt straight to number one for me. Here's a wee stab at filling in the other top four :

1. "About Schmidt" Oor Jack - 'nuff said.

2. "Cinema Paradiso" - I'm filling up just thinking about it.

3. "Cyrano De Bergerac" - the one with Depardieu, natch.

4. "Manon des Sources" - Yves Montand and Daniel Autueil equally tragic.

5. "It's A Wonderful Life" - gets ya every time.

Any further suggestions ?

P.S. - "Ghost" - the wifie next to me in the cinema was inconsolable and blowing snot like there was no tomorrow at the end - and it was contagious - I just couldnae help but join in. Meanwhile, Mrs. L. was scoffing contemptuously at us both......... :(

Guest buddie holly

Totally agree with "Cuckoo's Nest" and "Cyrano" both classic movies.The ones which get my lachrymal glands going are "Betty Blue",kills me every time,"Germinal"with Depardeu and "Immortal Beloved" with Gary Oldman as Beethoven.Right tears and snotters stuff with a swally in me. :(

Sorry, Bill, but I'm an old c**t and About Schmidt was about an old c**t who gave old c**ts like me a bad name. I thought the film was quite boring and he was a boring, self-indulgent old fart.

Now... Paths of Glory, Oh What a Lovely War and a wee old film called Geordie (mibbe I mentioned it on the old GB?) featuring Bill Travers as a wee Jock laddie who grows up to go and throw the hammer at the Olympics. All high in the moist eyes stakes!

And, of course, there's always SPARTACUS!

Bambi was a waste of a potentially succulent stew.

Nazis and nuns- sid you're daydreaming again :lol:

Bet these make your eyes water and scare the s***e out of you at the same time:

1. WATERship Down

2. Car WASH

3. Scrubbers :lol::lol::lol:

4. WATERworld

5. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - (It won a BATHta) :P

You lot are getting me worried. Field of Dreams? One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? BRASSED OFF????? You're at it, former VW Angel, aren't you?

And I have to admit that Betty Blue certainly got some kind of bodily fluid going but it never came from anywhere above the waistline.

It's pieces of music like Forbidden Colours by David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto or Wallflower by Peter Gabriel you should be consdiering. The only thing I've ever watched that gave me any emotion was Football First from Sunday 30th April 2000. And that should be the same for you lot as well. Consider yourselves suitably chastised. Ya weirdos. :blink:

The only thing I've ever watched that gave me any emotion was Football First from Sunday 30th April 2000. And that should be the same for you lot as well. Consider yourselves suitably chastised. Ya weirdos. :blink:

We didny need tae watch it on Fitba First. We were there. Were you? Ya wierdo. :blink:

Music was mentioned so allow me to list some truly depressing and tear-jerking songs:

1. Deinonychus - "Pluto's Ovoid Orbit / Salus Deceived"

2. My Dying Bride - "For My Fallen Angel"

3. Anathema - "One Last Goodbye"

4. In The Woods... - "Weeping Willow"

5. Anathema - "Are You There"

Music was mentioned so allow me to list some truly depressing and tear-jerking songs:

1. Deinonychus - "Pluto's Ovoid Orbit / Salus Deceived"

2. My Dying Bride - "For My Fallen Angel"

3. Anathema - "One Last Goodbye"

4. In The Woods... - "Weeping Willow"

5. Anathema - "Are You There"

what the f**k is that all about ???? :blink::huh::unsure:

Deinonychus - "Pluto's Ovoid Orbit / Salus Deceived"

I wondered that, too, Stromtrooper.

Dienonychus lyrics include:

So empty inside, like a life that ends

A sun that goes down, never shines again

Heart ripped out, stone cold hole left

Sleeping forever, the only choice i have

No more dreams, all faith is lost forever

more...

The pain in my soul? seems so endless

Waiting for everlasting salvation

All is gone...

Cheery wee combo doubtless inspired by George Formby's ukelele style :(

I was so depressed after checking that out, I was scared to Google anathema...

:(:(:(

Talk to SOMEONE, Thorizaar! Please! :rolleyes:

Edited by chingford

Cheery wee combo doubtless inspired by George Formby's ukelele style :(

I was so depressed after checking that out, I was scared to Google anathema...

:(:(:(

Talk to SOMEONE, Thorizaar! Please! :rolleyes:

Don't worry about me, I'm fine! Depressing music can be remarkably uplifting can it not?

Don't be scared of Anathema. Their last few albums have been exceptionally mellow in the vein of Radiohead.

Aye... well...

I did go check out ANATHEMA

and downloaded a couple of tracks from their new album, for a listen.

Burd's got a good voice in the mellow number but the thrashy one...?

Mibbe I'm no the right age for what they call:

Gloom Metal! :rolleyes:

Those tracks are not very representive of the album. The "burd" only sings on one song and the "thrashy" track is the only fast one on it. Buy the album! A class band that are largely ignored because they are not very well known or because of their musical origins.