5 Sporting Movies

Reidy1987

1.Raging Bull

2.This sporting life

3.Chariots of Fire

4. Field of Dreams

5. Rollerball - original ( stretching it a bit I know)

Honorable mention to WSC

Like sport itself the best sporting films deal with much more than the game.

(sounds pretentious- :unsure: )

Best laugh- Escape to victory

Perhaps we could go for the top 5 accents used by Bobby Duvall in that film? Scottish certainly wasn't one of them :lol:

Bobby Duvall? You must be one of those smug actors who annoyingly shortens other actors first names to make sure everyone knows they are friends!! Bob DeNiro and Bill Shatner are other commonly used ones!!

Touching the Void

When We Were Kings

This Sporting Life

Chariots of Fire

The Natural

Have to disagree with you on your final choice there, my erstwhile Helensburgh residing chum. The Natural is a fine novel written by the late Bernard Malamud. The ending in the book is very sad and completely un-feelgood.

Hollywood, being the utter b*****ds that they are, twisted it round and gave it a totally different ending. The usual bollocks of "they all lived happily ever after" as Robert Redford is throwing the baseball in his back yard with his son, with the missus looking. Pile of dingos kidneys if you ask me.

Read the book. It's worthwhile. Aoart from that totally agree with Chariots of Fire and When We Were Kings.

Bobby Duvall? You must be one of those smug actors who annoyingly shortens other actors first names to make sure everyone knows they are friends!! Bob DeNiro and Bill Shatner are other commonly used ones!!

I'll have you know Bobby Duvall is one of my good friends and I'm allowed to use that term. So there :PB)

I'll have you know Bobby Duvall is one of my good friends and I'm allowed to use that term. So there :P  B)

I've always been a firm advocate of employing the 'So there!' tactic when skating on thin intellectual ice! Brilliant move, Stu...

Espesh when ye stick on a :P at the end of it!

Ye cannae argue wi that! :lol::lol:

Edited by chingford

"When we were kings" is a much better boxing movie because...it features real boxing! :rolleyes:

BTW, did you know Mr. McB that Muhammed Ali (or Cassius Clay as he was then) fought in an exhibition match at Paisley Ice Rink?

Oh come on, you must know that, you were old enough to have gone to see it :P

I was there, I was only a boy but I was there :)

"When we were kings" is a much better boxing movie because...it features real boxing! :rolleyes:

BTW, did you know Mr. McB that Muhammed Ali (or Cassius Clay as he was then) fought in an exhibition match at Paisley Ice Rink?

Oh come on, you must know that, you were old enough to have gone to see it :P

Nope - news to me- Cassius Marcellus Clay III of course :lol:

Suppose I went for Raging bull because of the attempt to depict boxing-

When did the event occur?

And does anyone else remember the BBC series ( early 70's ?) by Harry Carpenter on the Heavyweight champions from the start to that time- quality television.

The greatest sportsman ever and this is one of my all time favourite photographs

sp-024.jpg

One of the few joys of being d'un certain age is watching that fight live- think that dad McB (god rest his soul) woke me up to see it on the beeb during the middle of the night.