5 Sporting Movies

Reidy1987

Wrong and wrong again.

It was way before he became World champ, as I said, it was an exhibition fight, possibly just after he'd turned Pro after winning the gold at the Rome Olympics in the light-heavyweight division.

Also it was at the ICE RINK, you know, where Somerfield is now?

The greatest sportsman ever and this is one of my all time favourite photographs

sp-024.jpg

I was right twice actually. The fight was in 1965 - I never said it wasn't at the ice rink. I also did not say it was a world title fight.

I repeat for the analy retentive that there was in fact a world title fight held at Love Street. I know when and I know who - Tom clearly knows f"k all about anything. :lol::lol::lol:

I was right twice actually. The fight was in 1965 - I never said it wasn't at the ice rink. I also did not say it was a world title fight.

I repeat for the analy retentive that there was in fact a world title fight held at Love Street. I know when and I know who - Tom clearly knows f"k all about anything. :lol::lol::lol:

It was Benny Lynch wasn't it. Dunno the date. :unsure:

They were showing a documentary on ESPN (I think) about Ali when I was in Cusco. They showed the whole of "the Rumble in the Jungle" and it was bloody unbelieveable. The mental strength he had to fight that way, to let a much younger man who happened to be the world champion, just go ahead and punch himself to knackeration ten just come out and belt him a few onto the floor was just incredible.

When I was a wee boy I used to think Ali was a bit of an arrogant tosser, what with saying "I am the greatest". Turns out the bugger wa correct.

Oh, and does anyone remember an interview he had with Parkinson? Only seen a wee clip from it but it was quite volatile.

I think the one Greig is talking about was Ali's 2nd or 3rd appearance, he was promoting some book on the teachings of "the honourable" Elijah Muhammed.

Parky said something Ali took offence to and he started waving the book about, calling white men "devils" and "evil" and got very irate.

Parky was just sitting there shiting himself...as would any of the rest of us :rolleyes:

Indeed- Felt that that was the first Signs o' the big chaps's mind going down the toilet :(

Thought that the worst was - roughly the same time -Pat O'brien and Cagney on the show- O'Brien carried the wee man whose mind was away :(

Parky spoke about that one and I saw a clip where Ali was going on, in an irate fashion, that he was much smarter than Parky.

After the show was over, Parky was in the dressing room feeling despondent when his old man came in. Remember, Parky is a Yorkshireman through & through as was his faither. His old man had said it wasn't a good interiew. Parky agreed. Then his old man said "Why didnst tha thump 'im?".

Ah good old Yorkshire folk!