5 Grossly Overrated "legendary" Bands/artists

Thorizaar

1. Eric Clapton for urging people to vote for Enoch Powell. As a musician who spent a great deal of his career plagirising black musicians this was taking ingratitude to the limits.

2. Queen for playing Sun City and getting on the UN Blacklist when they surely couldn't have needed the money. What price the Rainbow Alliance Freddie?

I know it's outdated but I say let's Rock Against Racism.

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 2 weeks later...
1. Eric Clapton for urging people to vote for Enoch Powell. As a musician who spent a great deal of his career plagirising black musicians this was taking ingratitude to the limits.

Ah, now, read an interview with Clapton recently that spoke about that and his point of view was put forward. he said that having recorded in places like the Bahamas he saw adverts about moving to the UK, that th elocals should do so because it was a life of Reilly waiting for them; they'd make something of themselves and the streets were paved with gold. However, when they got here they found it was dull, grey, monotonous and the only jobs they would get, if any, were low-paid menial ones.

Clapton felt that it was wrong to lure people over here under those false pretences and agreed with Enoch Powell when he stated that Britain was "mad, literally mad" to allow this to continue to happen.

Clapton also stated that he openly plagiarised the blues and used that in his defence against racism accusations.

So now ye know.

Anyway. My top five are:-

1. John Lennon - just cos he's deid doesn't make him legendary

2. The Doors - some of their stuff was pretty good but most of the time they were a pub band that got lucky.

3. The Clash - did one or two decent-ish songs but ny and large just jumped onto what ever band wagon happened to be trendy in order be seen as "musical visionaries"

4. Radiohead - first two albums were great. OK Computer wasn't too bad. The rest is just pretentious utter garbage that isn't, in fact, "ground-breaking" but is tedious to the nth degree.

5. The Smiths - oh, all that miserablism was ironic, was it? Still didn't stop being s***e, did it?

1) Blur

2) The Beatles

3) Take That

4) Elvis

5) The Wolfetones :angry:

Some strange "legendery" performers you have listed there; however having seen your CD collection I can't say I'm surprised...the legendary Take That for fuxake... :rolleyes:

Shame on those of you who dare to criticise The Beatles or Prince. Lennon/McCartney & the wee purple man are probably the most creative and innovative song writers in the history of popular music.

As for over-rated pop legends I would suggest :

1. Tight Fit

2. Lena Martell

3. Toto Cuelo

4. Jimmy Osmond

5. Neil Reid

If you're < 30 years old you probably won't remember any of the music gods.

You're not wrong there, matey...........

Have you got the new Rush EP yet................?

Indeed I have and a fine piece of work it is too. Mainly because there's no Clash songs. :lol:

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

HHiBSS,

Visit Clapton for the alternative POV, and remember it's taken EC thirty years to come up with that excuse.

Well, that's a review which is someone's point of view and, to an extent, point of views aren't fully objective. The writer of this article appears, to me at least, to have a "bee in their bonnet" in general about "Clappers" going by the tone of the writing.

I can't say one way or the other; I've never fully heard Powell's speech and I wasn't at the gig in question that Clapton spoke saying what he said. So things can be taken out of context and seen as truth when, in fact, it's not as simple as this.

As for having thirty odd years to think up an excuse well, perhaps he has always maintained what he first thought thirty odd years ago.

It's quite telling that the writer of this article uses the quote "get the foreigners out" but doesn't give the rest of the statement. The press put things out of context on a regular basis. Sven Goran Eriksson was asked, with regards to Rooney in Euro 2004, if he could ever remember seeing a player at such a young age making such an impact on a tournament since Pele. He answered that he hadn't but that people shouldn't get carried away. The press took the "Well, no..." answer to quote him as saying that "Rooney is the new Pele".

So forgive me for seeing the article as being a reporter twisting things around to fit their own argument.

Clapton himself said he made his career out of playing black man's music therefore rendering racist accusations ludicrous. So perhaps, when seeing things in full context, the truth is a little less shady than some would have us believe.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

A few others who deserve a mention,in no particular order:

1.Ozzy Osbourne

Aye,OK, he's a zany japester who pishes on sacred monuments and bites the head off doves for the comedy value,etc,etc,.....but the c*nt hasn't had a decent song since about 1972. He should have been taken out and shot for that duet he did with his daughter.

2.Whitney Houston

"AyeeeeeeeeeeAyeeeeeeeeewilllllllllllalways........"

Ach,just f*cking shut it Whitney. Gies peace.

Put a sock in it,love.

Sweeping generalisation: 1960s music.

You hear old timers slagging off more modern music, by claiming,'At least they played their own instruments in the '60s'.

Oh aye,did they?

There was a very interesting article in Mojo magazine that shattered this myth,and gave a list of 'classic' 60s standards where the band in question didn't even feature on the track. What used to happen was that,in the recording studio,one by one,the band would find themselves being replaced by session musicians because the groups couldn't cut it themselves,and the hired hands could do the job quicker and better.You'd have the spectacle of a hip 60s beat combo,sitting there,looking through the glass at 'their' songs being recorded by a bunch of session men.

Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin and Big Jim Sullivan,who used to play guitar for Tom Jones,are two of the more notable session men who were stunt doubles for loads of 60s outfits.

4. Def Leppard

There aren't many British bands who became as big in the States as this mob were.

F*ck knows why,I cringe when I watch them.

At least Spinal Tap were only kidding.

5.Janis Joplin

Pot ugly screeching weirdo.

Shame on all of you who underestimate Janis Joplin and REM :D

1. The Doors

2. Elton John

3. Jefferson Airplane

4. Fleetwood Mac

5. Belle & Sebastian :D

Edit: Surprised nobody else has voted Fleetwood Mac yet. Does nobody else realise how pish their music is? Maybe they just had no competition... ;)

Edited by nach0king

Shame on all of you who underestimate Janis Joplin and REM :D

1. The Doors

2. Elton John

3. Jefferson Airplane

4. Fleetwood Mac

5. Belle & Sebastian :D

Edit: Surprised nobody else has voted Fleetwood Mac yet. Does nobody else realise how pish their music is? Maybe they just had no competition... ;)

....I didn't realise Jefferson Airplane and Belle and Sebastian were legendary? :blink:

HHiBSS,

Check out Rock Against Racism / Anti Nazi League Websites. Is everyone else really wrong, have they (and me) got a grudge against Old Slowhand.

I remember how it was reported at the time. I believe my aim is true.

PS. I also remember Elvis Costello's rant at Ray Charles.

Bud, I quite like Costello and I have heard about the Ray Charles thing but don't know details of it - what exactly did he say?

I know that he is deeply remorseful about it and that it supposedly blew his career just when he was about to go mega.

Donga,

At the time of the Armed Forces (U.S.) tour he called Ray Charles an "ignorant, blind nigger" also called James Brown a "jive-ass nigger".

He has apologised semi-regularly for this eversince and claims that he only made the statement to provoke an argument (whilst drunk) and that it is/was the opposite of his true opinion. I left him out of my original rant because his apologies seemed sincere.

Yeah it did kinda put the scuppers on his U.S. career.

Edited by Bud the Baker