Paisley Pubs

Driving all round the town as I do pretty much every day, its surprising how many pubs are lying closed and derelict.

The Park Bar, The Carbrook, The Bar Point, The Bowlers, The Stags Head (although there seems to be some signs of work being done), the former Dusty Miller, The Dooslan Stane, The Charleston, Bar Bossa, the one in Old Sneddon St that used to be Fiddlers Green/Look, the Institute and Irish bar along side, the Elbow Room, Harvies Showbar, the former Baillies/Fiesta.

Were there just too many or are the great Paisley public just no drinking enough? :blink:

Charleston was a good wee pub. Tannies is better, though. The Bar Point was excellent and great for comedy nights. Once Pierro sold it that was it.

Stags Heid was good. My first pint was in there. Surprised at Harvie's being shut. But The Elbow Room has been closed for a loooooong time.

A few of the others, I agree, no one is upset about. Just a pity some of the really crap ones are still open.

Anyway, best pubs in Paisley - The Howff, the Bull & Paddy's - are well stocked with punters. And the Howff's music night last night was, once again, a great night. Get yersel doon there. First Monday of the month. Well done Danny for a great idea. Don't get too much live music in Paisley where the punters take part. That's just the ticket.

Anyway, best pubs in Paisley - The Howff, the Bull & Paddy's - are well stocked with punters. And the Howff's music night last night was, once again, a great night. Get yersel doon there. First Monday of the month. Well done Danny for a great idea. Don't get too much live music in Paisley where the punters take part. That's just the ticket.

Agree with them being the best pubs. Had some friends over from Germany a month or so ago and they thought the Wee Howff and The Bull were fantastic!

Used to think Hamishes was a decent place but I think it's gone down hill lately. Seems to be some sort of overspill for Last Post punters now.

Wasn't aware of the music night in the Howff. Sounds good in a wee place like that. I take it it's folky type stuff?

Edited by Thorizaar

Agree with them being the best pubs. Had some friends over from Germany a month or so ago and they thought the Wee Howff and The Bull were fantastic!

Used to think Hamishes was a decent place but I think it's gone down hill lately. Seems to be some sort of overspill for Last Post punters now.

Wasn't aware of the music night in the Howff. Sounds good in a wee place like that. I take it it's folky type stuff?

Not at all. SOme guys do the folky, others do their own stuff, many do covers. It's quite eclectic; there was a bloke in there last night wearing an AC/DC t-shirt and doing a couple of Crowded House songs. :rolleyes:

End of the night had, believe it or not, an ensemble of six doing some good old rhythm and blues. Guy on bass, guy on acoustic guitar and vocals, guy on acoustic lead guitar (young lad called Fraser who was shit hot!), another on acoustic, guy on harmonica and a guy on tambourine. Doing all sorts of proper R&B and finishing off with It's Alright by Elvis. Great stuff and they went on twenty minutes after closing time.

First Monday in August. See ye there. They sell Carlsberg and are the best pub in the world. Probably.

Not at all. SOme guys do the folky, others do their own stuff, many do covers. It's quite eclectic; there was a bloke in there last night wearing an AC/DC t-shirt and doing a couple of Crowded House songs. :rolleyes:

End of the night had, believe it or not, an ensemble of six doing some good old rhythm and blues. Guy on bass, guy on acoustic guitar and vocals, guy on acoustic lead guitar (young lad called Fraser who was shit hot!), another on acoustic, guy on harmonica and a guy on tambourine. Doing all sorts of proper R&B and finishing off with It's Alright by Elvis. Great stuff and they went on twenty minutes after closing time.

First Monday in August. See ye there. They sell Carlsberg and are the best pub in the world. Probably.

Sounded good up until the dreaded 5 letter word - Elvis!!!! Aaargh!

May give it a visit next month seeing as it's a holiday Monday and all, although might not be back in time as staying up north after big Challenge Cup match.

Doubt it...3 pints of real ale in Hamishes(sic) Hoose £7.75, 3 pints of real ale in the Last Post £4.35, pint of Budvar in HH £2.75  :o bottle of Budvar in LP £1.59

HH is an overpriced rip-off shop.

Yes, it's pricey but was still full of screaming harpies and their just out of Barlinnie type other halves last time I was in!

Edited by Thorizaar

Guest Biscuits

I hate Hamishs Hoose ever since they refused to serve me cos I was wearing my Saints top (was about 4 years ago right enough but I have never forgotten, it was the Aberdeen Scottish Cup game the year we won the league).

I thought someone would have reopened either Bar Bossa or Cafe Borgia. They were never very good pubs although someone with a bit of sense and cash could make a go of it cos they are really well placed in Paisley.

I hate Hamishs Hoose ever since they refused to serve me cos I was wearing my Saints top (was about 4 years ago right enough but I have never forgotten, it was the Aberdeen Scottish Cup game the year we won the league).

I thought someone would have reopened either Bar Bossa or Cafe Borgia. They were never very good pubs although someone with a bit of sense and cash could make a go of it cos they are really well placed in Paisley.

Cafe Borgia used to be a brilliant pub.No one will take it on as the rent is extortionate.Bar Point has been taken over by the guy who has just sold Tannahills and The Tea Gardens but don't know if he intends to open it.

Hamishes = s***e,overpriced pints poured by dour faced barmaids who always seem to have the painters in.Not one of my favourites.

Guest Balfy

Last time I visited Hamish's Hoose was with Anne-Marie (Everton) and HHiBSS (ex Syd Goth) during 99-00 season as part of a post-match victory celebration.

I'd been there before the game with Anne-Marie and 4 other Saints fans for pre-match swally and food - must have spent in excess of £60.

After the game ordered up some beers and took of my jacket to reveal a 1962 replica white Saints shirt and barmaid said she could not serve me with that on.

Tried to be diplomatic and asked what offence I could be causing at 5pm on Saturday night by displaying a top with the town's crest on the front?

Usual response of "nae club colours pal!"

So I asked why did they serve us before the game then? Nil response.

Promptly told her what she could do with the pints she was handing over and went on to the Argyle.

Never been back since and never will.

Name and shame all pubs in Paisley that refuse to serve Saints fans on a matchday between 11am and 7pm!

I've never had a problem with colours in Hamishes. The season Thistle won the league I even met up with Thistle supporting mates in there after the first game against us. We had Saints tops on, they had Thistle tops on and we were there till about 10:30 and nothing was said.

Sounded good up until the dreaded 5 letter word - Elvis!!!! Aaargh!

May give it a visit next month seeing as it's a holiday Monday and all, although might not be back in time as staying up north after big Challenge Cup match.

The reason for the Elvis tribute was that it was fifty years ago to the day (apparently) that EPs first ever single was released. It's widely recognised that that song was the first ever rock & roll song. Therefore they played it as a tribute to the birth of good old R'n'R.

Trust, it's a good night out.

Balfy, not strictly true. That particular escapade came towards the end of season 97-98. We'd just lost at home to Raith and were in severe relegation trouble (no shit?) and I hadn't seen you for some years. I recall it as I was in with Lys my then new girlfriend, now ex. It was our first date. (How romantic is that, eh? take her to Love St.) But in essence, you are correct. I remember you'd just bought two pints and then took your jacket off to reveal the colours. When told you had to cover up you did indeed tell them where to stick their pints. Shook my hand, turned and walked out the pub leaving them with two pints of lager they'd just poured and had to get rid of. As it happened, Lys and I were quite thirsty..... :ph34r:

The reason for the Elvis tribute was that it was fifty years ago to the day (apparently) that EPs first ever single was released. It's widely recognised that that song was the first ever rock & roll song. Therefore they played it as a tribute to the birth of good old R'n'R.

Indeed, but seeing as the song was written by Arthur Crudup surely the tribute should have been to him, the TRUE inventor of R N R, and not Elvis who somehow managed to get all the credit for it's birth? B)

Sportsters and The Bull Inn are two boozers I know of that not only welcome Saints tops but actively encourage it by offering discounted grub and drink for season ticket holders.

A wave of the season ticket gets a pint for £1.50 in Sportsters and 25% off all grub B)

Sportsters and The Bull Inn are two boozers I know of that not only welcome Saints tops but actively encourage it by offering discounted grub and drink for season ticket holders.

A wave of the season ticket gets a pint for £1.50 in Sportsters and 25% off all grub B)

Div this is very true BUT Sportsters is a well known *** shop.. So they are just doing the business thing & making a few extra bucks on a Saturday....

When your waving your season ticket just make sure you dont shake anyones hand in Sportsters :wink: