Paisley Pubs

Pubs are a dying trade too many along with new drink driving laws ( rightly ) mean you can't drive the next day in fear you fail the breath test.

Pubs are a dying trade due to many things. Including, and I believe this is a major reason, the smoking ban.

I am an ex smoker of 20+ years but I felt sorry for the usual old guy who liked his pint and sat in the corner with his pipe while telling all who would listen about his war exploits and the "Guid auld days".

They are not as able to take a step out and stand in the cold wet winter/summer days for a smoke.

The price of alcohol in pubs compared to the supermarkets are another reason. People didn't suddenly stopped having a drink during the week. They just drink at home which, I think, makes it more likely they'll take that, "Just one more before bed".

The drink laws would only limit what a person would drink. Not where they would drink it. It has also just recently been lowered.

Edited by stlucifer

Saparito bars are really good and the guys are good lads too.

Highly recommend the current 2 places so a third is most welcome

I think the old Hamishes is OK, and definitely a step up from most other Paisley pubs.

have to say the food was average (less than average when you look at the prices) but OK. Reminded me very much of the stuff you get in chain hotels as opposed to a locally-owned restaurant

And too loud, but I suppose that is my age.

Staff were excellent and very accommodating.

Pubs are a dying trade due to many things. Including, and I believe this is a major reason, the smoking ban.

I am an ex smoker of 20+ years but I felt sorry for the usual old guy who liked his pint and sat in the corner with his pipe while telling all who would listen about his war exploits and the "Guid auld days".

They are not as able to take a step out and stand in the cold wet winter/summer days for a smoke.

The price of alcohol in pubs compared to the supermarkets are another reason. People didn't suddenly stopped having a drink during the week. They just drink at home which, I think, makes it more likely they'll take that, "Just one more before bed".

The drink laws would only limit what a person would drink. Not where they would drink it. It has also just recently been lowered.

Since most people have access to hundred to tv channels including the latest movies and live football, i reckon having your own in house entertainment on a large 50'' screen keep you in the house more than a smoking ban.

Aye, big John's chucked it.

It just wasn't viable for him anymore , it needed re-floored for starters , the sound system was a joke and he couldn't get a decent chef for love nor money (big Gerry is a good guy but couldn't commit long term). Along with the fact that he was still owed mega bucks over that business with the lawyer guy who's in the jail now , it was time to cut and run !

Topless atractive female barstaff with painted on Saints tops?

Reminds me of the Bankhouse about 7/8 years ago!!!

Digressing:

Sad thing about the "iconic" Wee Barrell is that, when it closes, NO-ONE will see it as a "business opportunity" & it will never be a pub again. Times change, sad that it is!

Two Carts, the former 'Wigan Penitentiary' has also shut.

Went in there once and almost started a riot cause one of us had a Saints top on. Not with us, but one of the Celtic fans at the bar started having a shouting match with the bar staff cause he wasn't allowed to wear his Celtic top :lol:

Swiftly left and never returned.

• 2 weeks later...