Paisley Pubs

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On Saturday, June 04, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Thorizaar said:

Neither pub or restaurant, but the Co-op in the Piazza is to close at the end of the month then reopen a week later as Budgens.

Well that didn't last long.........Budgens closing down.

46 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I assume someone else will be taking on the lease. As far as I have heard, the original occupiers of the shop (possibly Presto) took out a 99 year lease which gets transferred whenever someone new takes over. Either that or they are losing so much money that it is more economical for Budgens to pay the lease and not trade from the shop.

Seemingly the Company are closing 12 shops in the UK.

3 hours ago, HSS said:

So much for the big push into the Scottish market ?  Mibbe a Lidl or something will take it over, although they are rumoured to be building at the derelict proposed Tesco Wallneuk site along with some sort of mini retail park.

48 minutes ago, melmac said:

Whilst not pub related per se, more shop related - they should really just demolish the piazza and the car park; let the shops go elsewhere and get the river opened up (and cleaned).

Totally agree Imagine a town with a river going right through the centre only crazy councils would do such a thing. I'm sure there was a scandal in the 70's about back handers relating to the Piazza. It's not something that can be knocked down as it is owned by private equity firms. 

I assume someone else will be taking on the lease. As far as I have heard, the original occupiers of the shop (possibly Presto) took out a 99 year lease which gets transferred whenever someone new takes over. Either that or they are losing so much money that it is more economical for Budgens to pay the lease and not trade from the shop.

Budgets is a franchise supermarket (or at least some of them are franchised) I believe.

22 minutes ago, civilsaint said:

Budgets is a franchise supermarket (or at least some of them are franchised) I believe.

It IS.

This link tells you about the owner and current problems in that sector

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11240980/Londis-and-Budgens-owner-warns-of-permanent-change-in-grocery-market.html

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:28 PM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Totally agree Imagine a town with a river going right through the centre only crazy councils would do such a thing. I'm sure there was a scandal in the 70's about back handers relating to the Piazza. It's not something that can be knocked down as it is owned by private equity firms. 

Covering over a manky, rat infested and highly polluted river/open sewer was considered the best option by 1960's urban planners, and the new Piazza shopping arcade was seen as the height of modernity by an eager, early 70's consumerist crowd. I've seen this dewey eyed sentimental view build up amongst buddies ever since. The best time to knock down the piazza was before the British Coal Pension Investment Fund bought it and put a roof on it. It's just not gonna happen now. Building a more succesful Paisley Centre and transferring all the business into there 10 years sooner might have been enough to see the Piazza demolished. Looking at the two centres now, it's easy to see which one is more likely to put the For Sale signs up first.

Covering over a manky, rat infested and highly polluted river/open sewer was considered the best option by 1960's urban planners, and the new Piazza shopping arcade was seen as the height of modernity by an eager, early 70's consumerist crowd. I've seen this dewey eyed sentimental view build up amongst buddies ever since. The best time to knock down the piazza was before the British Coal Pension Investment Fund bought it and put a roof on it. It's just not gonna happen now. Building a more succesful Paisley Centre and transferring all the business into there 10 years sooner might have been enough to see the Piazza demolished. Looking at the two centres now, it's easy to see which one is more likely to put the For Sale signs up first.

Wee birdie tells me the Paisley centre is already losing money & if M&s go it will spell the end for it . Co-op making noises about reducing their footprint in it also [emoji107]