Paisley Pubs

5 minutes ago, civilsaint said:

Anyone been to Green in the Park on Canal St? What's the craic with it? Looks like they've done a decent job on the outside, but strange name.

Never been to it but i have been to the Grill in the Park in Paisley and Erskine :whistle   Good food , good value. Run by Asians , my wife reckons the Curries are ace.

13 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Never been to it but i have been to the Grill in the Park in Paisley and Erskine :whistle   Good food , good value. Run by Asians , my wife reckons the Curries are ace.

Don't know how I turned "Grill" into "Green" :lol::lol:

Is it a big chain or just Paisley & Erskine? Need to give it a try.

Also anyone know when the new Cardossi's place opening in Arnotts? I'm getting rather impatient. 

5 minutes ago, civilsaint said:

Don't know how I turned "Grill" into "Green" :lol::lol:

Is it a big chain or just Paisley & Erskine? Need to give it a try.

Also anyone know when the new Cardossi's place opening in Arnotts? I'm getting rather impatient. 

Theyve got Erskine (Oor Local) ,Paisley and Renfrew (Above Piccolo Mondo)  The quality of the grub is really good, the prices are value for money.

Pub grub done well. Id give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a pub but...............

McDonalds in the High St is closing down.Add that to the recent announcements that Thorntons and the Yorkshire Building Society are also pulling out the High St,it doesn't leave much.

I have sympathy for The Cooncil but they really are going to do something about this situation before there is nothing left in the street.

Guest TPAFKATS

McDonalds in the High St is closing down.Add that to the recent announcements that Thorntons and the Yorkshire Building Society are also pulling out the High St,it doesn't leave much.
I have sympathy for The Cooncil but they really are going to do something about this situation before there is nothing left in the street.

I've always found it to be a bit manky whenever I've had the misfortune to find myself in that particular McD's.

The hight Street has never recovered from making it pedestrian add to that large shopping malls easy reached from Paisley. Yet you look at Johnstone town centre it is vibrant. The drug scene and valance of the 90's probably played a part. Paisley was an industrial power house now it's a services area. So everything above has played it's part. I still use Black's in New Street for my eyes. And a wee woman near Canal Street for my feet. You just can't keep away from the place :)

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The hight Street has never recovered from making it pedestrian add to that large shopping malls easy reached from Paisley. Yet you look at Johnstone town centre it is vibrant. The drug scene and valance of the 90's probably played a part. Paisley was an industrial power house now it's a services area. So everything above has played it's part. I still use Black's in New Street for my eyes. And a wee woman near Canal Street for my feet. You just can't keep away from the place :)

And a wee burd up School Wynd for the stuff in-between !!

5 hours ago, HSS said:

Looks like Tesco are taking over Budgens and The Piazza store will be saved.☺

Sounds like a simple change of branding seeing as Tesco and Booker Group who own the Budgens brand, merged a couple of weeks ago.

What you suggest the council do?

A number of factors, not least Braehead and Silverburn have sounded the death knell for the town centre.

The continued economic downturn and internet shopping, means there's no way back I'm afraid.

I popped into M&S this morning and the High Street already looked doomed, before the closure of the aforementioned three businesses.

As FTOF says, the demise of the High Street is a result of several factors. Lets not forget all the decent quality jobs which have gone from Paisley . A Generation ago we had Grants , Ciba , Polsons etc . who employed a lot of skilled people in well paid jobs. All we seem to get now are service industry jobs and call centres .

Town centres the length and breadth of the UK are suffering but our wee town does seem to have suffered more than most.  God knows what the place will look like a few years from now.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

What you suggest the council do?

Tend to agree that there's not much that can be done. People decided to stop shopping in the High Street and go elsewhere and that's why the shops shut on the whole.

However, Causeyside St and Glasgow Road seem to be doing just fine with very few empty shops and many successful ones. Open to traffic? Lower rates/rents? Better choice of smaller shops with more of a variety? Not sure why but perhaps the High Street and those interested in it's wellbeing should be asking these questions.

There's too many shop units period and they aren't right for conversion for housing or at least that what an architect told me 20 years ago. On that basis demolition and new build is the only option. Haven't been to The Paisley Centre in years. Will it get demolished at some point in the future and get replaced by housing?

Guest TPAFKATS
Put up the council tax and tell us what a good job their doing?

I'd expect they might put the former on hold due to the election in May. They never tire of telling us the latter though.

Guest TPAFKATS

The only retail that might work is small independent units, however the cooncil seem to believe that they can attract large retailers.
I recall a few years ago the cooncil were looking at a cafe culture quarter for the uni end of the high street. Can't remember if it was the current labour bawbags or previous Snp ones.

14 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

The only retail that might work is small independent units, however the cooncil seem to believe that they can attract large retailers.
I recall a few years ago the cooncil were looking at a cafe culture quarter for the uni end of the high street. Can't remember if it was the current labour bawbags or previous Snp ones.

There was also a plan put forward to promote Paisley as a clearance warehouse type town , in much the same way that Marks store is. Surely that would have some attraction ?  Next & Marks  have clearance outlets at The Forge & Irvine so why not Paisley ?

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

There was also a plan put forward to promote Paisley as a clearance warehouse type town , in much the same way that Marks store is. Surely that would have some attraction ?  Next & Marks  have clearance outlets at The Forge & Irvine so why not Paisley ?

That wiz ma idea, feckers stole it then never done it !

11 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

We've had a couple of shops in the Paisley Centre over the last 5 years , word in there is that it's only the food side that prevents Marks from closing. Heard their next move maybe expanding the food section !

2 hours ago, billyg said:

We've had a couple of shops in the Paisley Centre over the last 5 years , word in there is that it's only the food side that prevents Marks from closing. Heard their next move maybe expanding the food section !

The Simply Food Stores are one area where M&S are being pretty successful at present and their strategy does seem to be focussing on this retail area, so it could well happen.