Paisley Pubs

56 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I played pool in there a few times, that apart, too far out of the way to frequent very often. 

Pool table in Gabriels now.

Must have lost around 12 seats for it and personally i hope it is only there till the football restarts. 

£1-50 a game and people next to it certainly wasn't happy about it. 

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Must have lost around 12 seats for it and personally i hope it is only there till the football restarts. 

It's on a trolley. Last night it was moved into the restaurant about 8pm-ish

Between 4:30 and 8:00 there was only one game played on it. It won't last.

My Grandmother used to manage The Campbeltown and Islay in the early 70s. Since then it was The Inshot, Jack Daniel's, The Madigasikara Republika Bar and now The Craigie Bar.

She also managed The Cavern (now The Horseshoe) in Canal St and The Sneddon Bar (now The Argyll Bar).

40 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Between 4:30 and 8:00 there was only one game played on it. It won't last.

My Grandmother used to manage The Campbeltown and Islay in the early 70s. Since then it was The Inshot, Jack Daniel's, The Madigasikara Republika Bar and now The Craigie Bar.

She also managed The Cavern (now The Horseshoe) in Canal St and The Sneddon Bar (now The Argyll Bar).

Jack Daniels?

The only JD’s I remember in town was in New St,the old lounge of the Bull Inn 🤔

10 hours ago, Jimmy H said:

One boozer I do remember is the Fulbar inn as Portmahomack Saint will remember well. 

Yes Jimmy my local for many a year since it opened in 1977 

Was a great pub in it's day with a great bunch of guys... we welcomed anyone as long as they had a good attitude and were friendly if not they soon realised they weren't welcomed..  sometimes they left through the nearest window head first was that kind of pub Jimmy as you know

Was a mixed pub but had lots of Saints fans we ran 3 buses to the cup final in 1987 with about a 100 on each bus..

The Fulbar inn had 2 snooker tables and pool tables... 

On 6/18/2022 at 5:38 PM, Tommy said:

Why's there no apostrophe in Gabriels? I just imagine a crowd of guys called Gabriel...when I imagine it once belonged to someone called Gabriel. Probably overthinking it, but I get irritated when I pass The Wee Mans (sic) Bar in Parkhead, too. Even Google Maps gives it an apostrophe:

1630593969_Screenshot2022-06-2221_47_19.png.cc20eb159501e639e2bd78c4c29ef26f.png

1 hour ago, W6er said:

Why's there no apostrophe in Gabriels? I just imagine a crowd of guys called Gabriel...when I imagine it once belonged to someone called Gabriel. Probably overthinking it, but I get irritated when I pass The Wee Mans (sic) Bar in Parkhead, too. Even Google Maps gives it an apostrophe:

1630593969_Screenshot2022-06-2221_47_19.png.cc20eb159501e639e2bd78c4c29ef26f.png

I believe the pub was built on the site of the former residence of a CofS minister.

The initial intention was to respect and reflect that fact, until it was established that an extra “E” would be far too expensive.

I believe the pub was built on the site of the former residence of a CofS minister.

The initial intention was to respect and reflect that fact, until it was established that an extra “E” would be far too expensive.
You may be right with your CofS bit, seeing as the name is an anagram of "A Manse Brew". [emoji16]

• 2 weeks later...

Sad news folks………

Well known Paisley barman John Kerr passed away yesterday

John who worked in the Wine Bar,Corkers,Borgia,Paddy’s and many others had been unwell recently and had been in hospital for a good few weeks

🍻

2 hours ago, HSS said:

Sad news folks………

John who worked in the Wine Bar,Corkers,Borgia,Paddy’s and many others had been unwell recently and had been in hospital for a good few weeks

🍻

I had to get in touch with a few mates to see if I was thinking of the right person.

Knew John fairly well (as well as a punter/barman could) from his days in the Wine Bar & Corkers.

My mate said he'd been unwell for quite a long time, this weeks been one thing after another, very sad. 

4 hours ago, HSS said:

Sad news folks………

🍻

Sad news indeed, I know John and a few members of his extended family very well.

He had an awful, awful time of it the past few years with the circumstances in which Borgia closed and the resulting fallout and my mate (who formerly flatshared with John's cousin) mentioned to me just 6 weeks or so ago that he was very, very ill indeed. A cracking guy who always had time for you whether in one of his pubs or he met you in any other Paisley establishment.

Big character who will be missed around the town.

Heard this earlier today. Very sad news indeed.

Me and my mates knew John very well as we drank in Corkers for many years and some of us worked there under John too.

Spent three weeks in Toronto with John and a couple of mates in the late 80's. Some fantastic memories from that trip and so many from all of the pubs and clubs that he managed.

Last spoke to him in October before the Rezillos concert and he was in good form. 

Cheers John, as others have mentioned, you always had time for everyone. You will be sorely missed.

Devastated to hear about John.

We grew up together at Woodneuk Court Millarston, we did our first ever holiday abroad together, an 18-30 trip to Corfu.

I hope the c”nt who ripped off his business when he was ill rots in hell.

RIP my friend ❤️

7 hours ago, Jimmy H said:

We grew up together at Woodneuk Court Millarston, we did our first ever holiday abroad together, an 18-30 trip to Corfu.

RIP my friend ❤️

My reaction to this news is more than sad Jimmy. Devastating news at the loss of John. He was a really good guy.

7 hours ago, Jimmy H said:

RIP my friend ❤️

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/cafe-borgia-boss-swindle-paisley-6247758.amp

4 hours ago, HSS said:

I discussed this with him many times.

I remember the day after we won the league cup in 2013 the whole Saints team were still celebrating and were all in Cafe Borgia on a Monday afternoon, everyone was still partying from the day before and the place was mobbed.

HSS I think it was actually you who told me the team were in there when I chatted to you in the Wee Howf ( I think it’s the only time I’ve ever met you ).

When we got there John and his staff couldn’t cope with the numbers so he asked me to help out behind the bar, I’ve never worked in a pub in my life and to be honest had never poured a pint either (drank many tho)

Soon got the hang of it but had no idea how to work the till, John said to me “f**k it Saints won the cup, just give it away for free”

And we did, it was basically a free bar till he ran out of stock, must have others on here who were there that afternoon. 

4 hours ago, garzo said:

My reaction to this news is more than sad Jimmy. Devastating news at the loss of John. He was a really good guy.

I’m going to book flights to come back for the funeral mate, hopefully you can make it so we can have a beer or 10 ❤️