Paisley Pubs

Guest Balfy

HHiBSS,

Your are indeed the "memory man" - no doubt you can tell me what the score was, when the goals were scored and the name of the stand side linesman. :lol:

As for the 2 pints of lager - nah - cannae be true - as I tend to drink 80'/heavy or Guinness when in Paisley - until I get stocious.

As for the waitress in the Ayr curry house - well that was an eye opener and another cracking story! That was the 1st game at Ayr in the 99-00 season - yes?

Aye the mammories..... :wink:

Balfy.

The score was 2-0 to Raith, they got the second in injury time and Lys said that she didn't think much of the referee. Dunno who the officials were; I don't buy a program.

As for the beer, well it was to fit in with the stroy that I mentioned the amber necter. Just go along with it, eh?

You are correct with the Ayr curry house. That game was the first time I met you after that and it was Everton wot collared me in the queue for the pie stall. When she started speaking I admit, I had to keep my hands covering my pockets. You can never be too safe. :rolleyes:

The score that day was 3-0 to Saints; a Lavety volley and penalty in the first half, then Yards breaking away midway through the second half to make it three.

And as for the waitress, yes you could have drowned in her and died a very happy man. Was so taken with her voluptuous bosom that I can't even remember where the flippin' curry shop is. DAMN!

• 1 year later...

An update...

Re-opened

Rosebud (as Tartan Rose)

Bar Point (as Iona Skye)

Currently closed

The Bowlers

The Elbow Room

The Park Bar

The Dusty Miller/Whispers

Lush

Toby Jug

The Charleston

Bailey's/Fiesta/Jokers

The Institute/Irish bar

The Cellar

The Inshot/Campbeltown & Islay

No longer pubs (within my time as a drinker)

Bungalow/Stags Head (now a restaurant)

Arkleston Inn (restaurant)

Fiddler's Green (restaurant)

Carbrook/Centre Spot (restaurant)

3 Horseshoes/Chaplins (offices)

Dooslan Stane (shop/take aways)

Centurion Bar (takeaway)

Tartan Bar (shop)

Farriers (flats)

Fulbar Inn (retirement home)

Bonhams (retirement home)

New Fergus Hotel (erm...waste ground)

Jakey. :rolleyes::P

An update...

Currently closed

The Bowlers

The Elbow Room

The Park Bar

The Dusty Miller/Whispers

Lush

Toby Jug

The Charleston

Bailey's/Fiesta/Jokers

The Institute/Irish bar

The Cellar

The Inshot/Campbeltown & Islay

Add the Heighways to your list Tom.

Remember Stringfellow's at the Caledonia Street end of the ground. Think it was also called the Bobbin. :unsure:

Oh yes....I used to frequent Stringies in my plooky youth.Always seemed to end in a punch up in there...for one reason or another.

Remember Stringfellow's at the Caledonia Street end of the ground. Think it was also called the Bobbin. :unsure:

A funny, quite possibly apocryphal, story from Euro 96.

A couple of Scotland fans found themselves in Peter Stringfellow's niteclub after the England game. At the end of the night the man himself is standing at the door to bid the revellers farewell, so one of the Scotland fans shakes his hand and says he was gutted when they closed their Paisley club. Cue bemused look on The Sleazy One's face.

A funny, quite possibly apocryphal, story from Euro 96.

A couple of Scotland fans found themselves in Peter Stringfellow's niteclub after the England game. At the end of the night the man himself is standing at the door to bid the revellers farewell, so one of the Scotland fans shakes his hand and says he was gutted when they closed their Paisley club. Cue bemused look on The Sleazy One's face.

:lol:

I remember when the Elbow Room was the Sheep's Heid. I also remember a pub in Springbank Road called The Vaults (way before my drinking days). And the Bowlers being reopened as a trendy pub called Jorries.

You may have mentioned this one Tom and I didn't notice - what was the pub that was on Broomlands Street across from the Crown? Broomlands Bar perchance? I think Jackie Copland owned it for a while but it's now a curry house...

I remember when the Elbow Room was the Sheep's Heid. I also remember a pub in Springbank Road called The Vaults (way before my drinking days). And the Bowlers being reopened as a trendy pub called Jorries.

You may have mentioned this one Tom and I didn't notice - what was the pub that was on Broomlands Street across from the Crown? Broomlands Bar perchance? I think Jackie Copland owned it for a while but it's now a curry house...

it was called a few names one was the gallow green bar

jackie copland owned the crown not the bar across the street

and the bob inn or stringfellows was in greenock road :P