Paisley Pubs

The Auld Toll House, at the East End, was owend by someone called Snodgrass and was known as Snoddies, my Auld Faithere drank in it.

And it used to sit on the gable end of Gauze Street where the north bound dual carriageway now passes towards the direction of Incle Street.

And it used to sit on the gable end of Gauze Street where the north bound dual carriageway now passes towards the direction of Incle Street.

after it was a pub it was called the east end cafe, remember ma maw taking me and ma brother there, it used to have jukebox, only one we saw in paisley at the time, oh happy days

Edited by santaponsasaint

Other pubs that come to mind...

The Cross Bar, where the wee amusement arcade is on St Mirren Street;

The Long Bar, in Gilmour Street opposite Sportsters. Surprisingly enough, it was the longest bar in Paisley;

The St Mirren Bar, under the railway bridge on Moss Street, a DIY shop now.

I'm pretty sure Firhill Saint posted some old pictures proving that it did indeed border the river.

I'll need to dig out my 'old Paisley' books again....

As I recall the pub was set into the river wall (pre-piazza days), below ground level and was on the same side as the Glen Cinema. If you stand in the Town Hall/Abbey graveyard and look across to the old WC windows at Dunn Square, you'll get the idea of how it may have looked?

Legend has it, that the during a particularly persistent period of rain, the river rose so high that it submerged the windows and gave the locals a somewhat interesting underwater outlook ??? :lol:

after it was a pub it was called the east end cafe, remember ma maw taking me and ma brother there, it used to have jukebox, only one we saw in paisley at the time, oh happy days

Sorry to say you're wrong Gary, The East End Cafe and Snoddies were side by side, I used to go into the cafe and wait for my Auld Man coming out the pub.

Sorry to say you're wrong Gary, The East End Cafe and Snoddies were side by side, I used to go into the cafe and wait for my Auld Man coming out the pub.

Two Auld men oot together :P

There was also The Lighthouse in Cotton Street but that was before my time as a drinker.

My auld dad used to drink in there. 1 week before it was knocked down, they ask him to prove his age :lol: and that was 34 years ago :lol: He said the Tudor arms was the best pub paisley ever had when the Bisland family owned it. :)

My auld dad used to drink in there. 1 week before it was knocked down, they ask him to prove his age :lol: and that was 34 years ago :lol: He said the Tudor arms was the best pub paisley ever had when the Bisland family owned it. :)

How many pubs did the Bisland family have. I count 3, Tudor, Afton and Station. Any more????

it was called a few names one was the gallow green bar

jackie copland owned the crown not the bar across the street

It was also called the Centre Spot and I think ex wine guzzler Joe Gilroy had it.

Anybuddie mentioned Harvies Showbar??

An update...

Re-opened

Rosebud (as Tartan Rose)

Bar Point (as Iona Skye)

Currently closed

The Bowlers

The Elbow Room

The Park Bar

The Dusty Miller/Whispers

Lush

Toby Jug

The Charleston

Bailey's/Fiesta/Jokers

The Institute/Irish bar

The Cellar

The Inshot/Campbeltown & Islay

Carnegies

Ba' Soba/Pillars/Ronnie's Steak Bar

No longer pubs (within my time as a drinker)

Bungalow/Stags Head (now a restaurant)

Arkleston Inn (restaurant)

Fiddler's Green (restaurant)

Carbrook/Centre Spot (restaurant)

3 Horseshoes/Chaplins (offices)

Dooslan Stane (shop/take aways)

Centurion Bar (takeaway)

Tartan Bar (shop)

Farriers (flats)

Fulbar Inn (retirement home)

Bonhams (retirement home)

New Fergus Hotel (erm...waste ground)

Silver Thread at the Ardgowan Hotel, Friars Hall, Weavers ???