Paisley Pubs

I should have got Dick Chinnery to just mention that FErrier's used to be at the foot of Storie Street. It was only called fArrier's in its death throes, so a stupid sign with a horse and horseshoe could be stuck ootside it. FERRIER'S.

Also there used to be The Market Bar (That disnae seem the right name, tho...? :unsure: ) a hundred yards up Storie Street and across from Ferrier's. Beyond The Baths and across from the main entrance to.... The Market.

Edited by chingford

• 3 weeks later...

Yer arse :P

This is how that part of the town looked until the late 60s.

Apologies, ye're right....

(but I'd hjave called that Cooton street/Gauze...:huh:

but still... no recall of a pub there....

There was a sweetie shoap but that got stranded on an island did it no, when the bridge road carved through...? And I thought a bank at that end of Bank Street...

You need to ask an auld man about such things... :rolleyes:

The "island" is still there, now bereft of buildings and covered with trees, but it's at the next junction up, roughly wherethe "29.7" to the right of the words "Gauze Street" are on the map.

I remeber that wee sweetie/paper shop, it had enough room for the owner and one customer at a time !!! :lol: Next door was a wedding dress shop in the 80's and 90's as I recall ?

I remeber that wee sweetie/paper shop, it had enough room for the owner and one customer at a time !!! :lol: Next door was a wedding dress shop in the 80's and 90's as I recall ?

I used to do a paper round from that wee shop.

The owner was a guy called Andrew, who was a couple of adverts short of a classified section.

No wonder being stuck in there all day. Poor sod. :(

I used to do a paper round from that wee shop.

The owner was a guy called Andrew, who was a couple of adverts short of a classified section.

No wonder being stuck in there all day. Poor sod. :(

My sadly long time deceased mate Jim Clark (Clarky the Punk) went in there with a plastic non real looking gun for a chortle and ended up chortling in a cell for 3 moon.............

There was a pub in Gauze Street called the Museum Bar and one at the corner of Abbey Street and Mill Street called The Old Tile Bar

There was a pub at the corner of Cotton Street and Abbey Street called The Picadilly, perhaps you`re confusing the name with The Old Tontine in Gauze Street (or maybe not ... I stand to be corrected!)

Another pub long-since vanished was The Auld Hundred (The Aul` Hunner) on the opposite corner from RH Findlays.

Curiously enough, The Imperial Bar has risen from the dead a few yards from its original site at the foot of New Street, about 30 years after closing down!

There was a pub at the corner of Cotton Street and Abbey Street called The Picadilly, perhaps you`re confusing the name with The Old Tontine in Gauze Street (or maybe not ... I stand to be corrected!)

Another pub long-since vanished was The Auld Hundred (The Aul` Hunner) on the opposite corner from RH Findlays.

Curiously enough, The Imperial Bar has risen from the dead a few yards from its original site at the foot of New Street, about 30 years after closing down!

It was Finlays, the incorrect spelling of that name gets on my tits.............

Funny you should mention that.........................

It's closing down this weekend :lol: