Paisley Pubs

Were any of our older members ever brave enough to visit the West End's roughest toughest-looking boozers of the late'60s / early'70s The Rosebud or The Fox Bar (later The Tartan Lounge I think) ?

I know of a fellow who during a dope drought in the days when dope was supplied by longhairs, resorted to using a not so long haired scarfaced type in the Tartan.........

When the said person got home he found 25 LSD blotters stuck in the clingfilm wrapping the Bob...............

Did he shout 'Yes' or 'Shit'.................?

It was 'Shit', he returned to the formentioned venue and gave them to their dubious owner, who proceeded to get him pished/wrecked and flung in some more Bob for his trouble.........

They remained on talking terms until the unfortunate demise of of one of the parties......

I myself had a pint (in my school breeks and shirt, hidden tie) in the Campletown & Islay in 76 as we waited for European Cup Final tickets from the owner............

He got us the beers, he was a mate of my friend's faither..............

I've seen a picture in a book called "Let Paisley Flourish" and the pub was called "The Auld Tile Hoose" at the corner of Thread St and Abbey St, not Abbey St and Mill St as I previously stated (which didn't form a junction).

The Museum Bar was where the Methodist Halls are now.

Thread St. & Mill St. remain great mysteries to me. Although my mate stayed in Cotton St. we tended not to drink in that neck of the woods. Was only ever in The Picadilly in Cotton St. once but never ventured round to Thread St!

Although neither closed nor derelict, The Grosvenor is worth a mention. It was in Union St., between Gt. Hamilton St. & Stock St. and the car-park for St. Charles Church now occupies that space!

Have a look at the map I posted earlier.

This picture is brilliant.

The one at the top shows, from the bottom left to top right, Abbey Street. The pub on the corner (with Cotton St) is "The Tile Hoose" and the car at the far end has just turned left from Thread St.

The one on the bottom shows the junction of Abbey St with Cotton St leading away towards the left.

Yep, that was the pub in Cotton St. I knew as the Picadilly in my era (`66/`67 ish)

I hope that was its name and that I`m not having a `senior moment` :lol:

Great photos by the way. I`ve got that book too but it`s yonks since I`ve looked at it. Will dig it out tomorrow. (It already is tomorrow!)

Best thread ever!

Excuse the (paisley) pun but for an exiled Bud of over 25 years this is brilliant stuff.

Coming from Johnstone, which has no shortage of pubs, I did a fair amount of drinking in Paisley from the mid 70s onwards. Saturday afternoons in the Dusty Miller were compulsory, with Findo Gask as resident kick ass band!

Best thread ever!

Excuse the (paisley) pun but for an exiled Bud of over 25 years this is brilliant stuff.

Coming from Johnstone, which has no shortage of pubs, I did a fair amount of drinking in Paisley from the mid 70s onwards. Saturday afternoons in the Dusty Miller were compulsory, with Findo Gask as resident kick ass band!

Wee Davie Pattison wis the lead singer, he's in San Francisco noo :)

Great pictures, Tom!

I had no recall (must have been crap beer...) of The Tile Bar, at all.

But I HAVE drinked in there, when I was wee.

And The Attic Folk Club (Danny Kyle etc) used to be in... the attic space in one of those three storey buildings along on the left.

Saw The Incredible String Band and BETTER acts in that space.

Edited by chingford

Were any of our older members ever brave enough to visit the West End's roughest toughest-looking boozers of the late'60s / early'70s The Rosebud or The Fox Bar (later The Tartan Lounge I think) ?

My one and only visit to the Rosebud in 1988 involved a brief conversation with a local worthie who came over to where I was sitting and asked me if I was interested in politics ?

I replied "yes a wee bit" and was then asked If I wanted to buy an Uzi or a Luger pistol "free test firing at Lochwinnoch"... :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Got me looking at some old books.

Here's a crap and fuzzy snap of my old school - the original Camphill... :)

I watched that get knocked down in '72' usually from 'Shetland Saints' auld manor..............

The old gates are a feature in entrance to the office in the Castlehead ..............

1972 revisited.

Shite snaps. I tried twice - fuzzy and I'm too lazy.

(You could have had more fun with sharp images...)

Did Shet Saint live in that high block behind the Fire Station?

(The red brick place was the school gym)

The main entrance - and I've still got that school scarf...

And me wi hair... a mod and nowhere to hide that I was already bald... :)

post-763-1151748813_thumb.jpg

post-763-1151748872_thumb.jpg

post-763-1151748931_thumb.jpg

1972 revisited.

Jings Chingy, what a sentimantal old fool you were when you were young.

Of course, my old secondary school is still exists out on the Glasgow Road. So many of the lesser secondaries with no noteworthy history have been demolished over the years.

Jings Chingy, what a sentimantal old fool you were when you were young.

Of course, my old secondary school is still exists out on the Glasgow Road. So many of the lesser secondaries with no noteworthy history have been demolished over the years.

Mines and St Sid old school had its last day yesterday.

1972 revisited.

I did live in Camphill Court and my auld man was a fireman at the Station. I remember hanging out my bedroom window watching the ball and chain of the demolition crane taking the auld buildings apart at the bottom of Camphill Brae.

My memories of the "workies" at the top of Camphill are still vivid. The rats under the huts were man-eating and I could jump from the roof of the huts into the garden of the collage annexe where the guardian of the chessy tree stayed.{about a hundred feet nae danger.}

I feckin' loved those days and I'm glad to give an accurate account of them.

Edited by dani bongo

It was brilliant livin and growin up aroon there, Dani B.

Whole steets got emptied and lay vacant for weeks/months - and were easily 'enterable'. :rolleyes:

Great fun - then while they were being demolished, they provided loadsa material for building ganghuts and other shite and you could climb the half-demolished tenements (or wee squat slums like we inhabited...) - for sheer fun- especially good when the they had teetering half-collapsed crumbly walls...

Halfway through those years (that must have been 'unsettling' for our parents...) we weans got the bonus - you could also play in the new materials (sand-pits for free for scum!) and climb the new buildings we were to move intae! :)

Thanks, Dani - " I feckin' loved those days and I'm glad to give an accurate account of them."

And ... so... you're an Old Grammarian Butty boy, then Wilbur....?

I usetae think you were ok....

Played with cousin (davie clark) who stayed in speirsfield, his mates that sayed in camphill included tommy johnstone who's dad also tj was fireman down the brae at same time as your old man, are names familiar to you dani bongo?

I knew Davy very well,15b Speirsfield and as for Tommy he was joint best man at my wedding with Bongovonbudvar up here in Shetland.

Its a small world, not seen davie in a few years due to the fact he's in aussie, last met tommy after old tommys funeral :( . still remember him letting me in for a shot on the pole :D . Forgot to also mention stevie morrow who i bump into now and again when playing bowls.

Tam Johnstone worked beside ma auld man, big morrow a booler now i hope hes better at that as he was at fitba :wink: