Paisley Pubs

It's a shame that so many pubs in Paisley appear to be closing. I feel that it just adds to the overall uninviting look of the town. What Paisley needs is someone with entrepreneurial spirit to take on some of these establishments and inject some much needed life back into the town. Question is does such a person exist?

It's a shame that so many pubs in Paisley appear to be closing. I feel that it just adds to the overall uninviting look of the town. What Paisley needs is someone with entrepreneurial spirit to take on some of these establishments and inject some much needed life back into the town. Question is does such a person exist?

There is 'The one'... B)

It's not just Paisley mate,happening all over.

Who on the forum drank in Blazers in Silk St. I played pool for them and was in said pub the day it went up in smoke ( apt name for a pub ). It also had a night club ( ha ha ) attached to it Club Wankiki

I had booked blazers for my 18th - and it went up in blazes a day or two before it!!!!!!!! therefore my party was in stringfellows! god im auld

A pub a day has closed in Scotland since the smoking ban was introduced.

Scottish Government claims closures aren't linked to this :lol:

Have hardly set foot in a pub since the smoking ban.

A few years ago, Florida introduced a smoking ban. Two years later they had smoking bars and non smoking bars. Wonder why?

If a pub serves food it makes sense to have a smoking ban. If they do not serve food the pub should have the choice to allow smoking. If they do allow smoking there should be a sign at the door so patrons know what they are going into .

Current legislation is just irrational. How many people have suddenly started going to pubs because there is no smoking in them now?

If a pub serves food it makes sense to have a smoking ban. If they do not serve food the pub should have the choice to allow smoking. If they do allow smoking there should be a sign at the door so patrons know what they are going into .

Current legislation is just irrational. How many people have suddenly started going to pubs because there is no smoking in them now?

Good post. More telling would be the figures of those who stopped going since the ban.

What about blackandwhitearmy.com organise a wee pub crawl towards the end of the season? :rolleyes: I am sure HSS and Bongo alcohol consumption in a few hours post match would greatly increase any pubs profits. :P

You're living in the past Mr Zo.I'm a boring bastard now. :unsure:

I used to chose my pubs cos of how 'healthy' the air in them was.

Hated smoky ones - and how your clothes always stank afterwards. So I'm VERY happy indoors is a no smoking environemnt in general.

I could NEVER understand why girlies go to all the trouble of washing and preening long lovely hair, putting on nice smelly stuff, then smoking.... weird.

As for Tom's list of pubs - on the positive side - it's not that so many are closing - quite a lot of them on the list were NEVER pubs before I left Paisley, in the first place. Business opportunities that ultimately failed to cut the mustard.

EG

In New Street, in 1970, there used to be The Imperial Bar at the foot and The Bull up top.

NO other bar was in New Street. So, it's not that there's a crisis - just that many drinking venues have shifted location.

2 hours and nobody has disagreed with you. :P
And nobody is going to B)

I'm not asking anyone to agree/disagree with me,just telling you the way it is. :)

I'm in a pub once a week now,maybe twice on special occasions and that suits me fine. :wink:

Undoubtedly the smoking ban has contributed to the financial problems that pubs are currently experiencing.

However, if you ask most people why they don't frequent pubs as often as they used to, I'd imagine that it was due to the fact that it's much cheaper to buy supermarket alcohol than it is to buy pub alcohol.

I actually prefer pubs now that the smoking ban is in force.I used to be a social smoker and it was all too easy to ponce a cigarette from my mates as I sat on my arse consuming vast amounts of ale.Now, the fact that I would actually have to go outside for a smoke, has actually helped me to give up smoking.

It's also far better withut the fug of smoke in the pub and you don't smell of smoke after a night out.

Who on the forum drank in Blazers in Silk St. I played pool for them and was in said pub the day it went up in smoke ( apt name for a pub ). It also had a night club ( ha ha ) attached to it Club Wankiki

Was it full of tossers? B)