Paisley Pubs

Here's an interesting one of The Bowler's Tavern although the picture isn't dated.

The 4 story tenement with The Bowler's at street level was only demolished about a month ago but here there is a pub called "The Bowler's" on the bottom of a 2 storey building with Lady Lane slightly to its left

bowlersld6.jpg

Think about that picture compared to the West End these days. Thats progress for you :blink::blink::blink:

I never mentioned the Last Post,

My Pub Mole tells me that KK has indeed bought O'Neills but the big question is................will they open it or is it a Tesco move.Buy it to stop any competition getting it? :blink:

Time will tell.

It opens in the next few weeks, and its gonna be a Coyote style bar . . Over 23s and only hotpants or short skirts allowed at the weekend :wink:

Taken today from roughly the same vantage point.

bowlers1296x972fj4.jpg

These comparisons are utterly depressing ...............what a disaster nowadays. Talk about urban decay , never mind accelerating it with shocking developments like the Piazza versus that old jail facade.

Can anyone post pictures of the old jail please , I am told that the sq in the old days was impressive ..........then the cooncil demolition experts planners came along and re invented Paisley :angry:

Edited by Seaside Nipper

Found it! They are in a Toon Saint thread about a shoplifter ending up in the Cart.

My first ident was wrong (as a Bud soon points out! :) )

It's the old station entrance before the Post Office was there - the second fotie shows the old Council Buildings and the prison. Quite a skyline!

Ooooops.

I better add the link...

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/in...=23612&st=0

:rolleyes:

Edited by chingford

These comparisons are utterly depressing ...............what a disaster nowadays. Talk about urban decay , never mind accelerating it with shocking developments like the Piazza versus that old jail facade.

Can anyone post pictures of the old jail please , I am told that the sq in the old days was impressive ..........then the cooncil demolition experts planners came along and re invented Paisley :angry:

Check this page out:

http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/ilwwcm/publ...ngsCountySquare

scroll half way down to see what was the Piazza and what now is the monstosity - the most ignorant decision in Paisley's planning history.

Check this page out:

http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/ilwwcm/publ...ngsCountySquare

scroll half way down to see what was the Piazza and what now is the monstosity - the most ignorant decision in Paisley's planning history.

"Their demolition in the 1960s and 70s is regretted by local people."

I'm too young to remember those buildings, but that is surely one of the understatements of the century.

The former O'Neill's in New Street is now called...wait for it...

CARFUFFELS (sic) :lol:

Not Kerfuffles but CARFUFFELS :lol:

Bright yellow signage with black wording.

Already sounds like the kind of place that will be doing buckets of Breezers for a tenner and employing shite DJ's to play "Cheezy Pop" at deafening levels.

Hmm. Yellow and black signage reminds me of FAC1 saville_fac1_152.jpg

but I expect to be disappointed...