Paisley Pubs

• 1 month later...
The Charleston reopened last week.

I think all these pubs that reopen and get a mention here should be greatful for the free advertising.

How about we print off this page and show it to the manager of any mentioned pubs, tell him its free advertising and how about a free drink as a result?

For moderators only :rolleyes::cheers

The Charleston reopened last week.

I think all these pubs that reopen and get a mention here should be greatful for the free advertising.

How about we print off this page and show it to the manager of any mentioned pubs, tell him its free advertising and how about a free drink as a result?

I'll drop off all the printed pages round the Pubs, if you want.... :rolleyes:

Was walking along Shuttle Street last night and noticed first of all that Suburbia was closed and was re-opening as Penny Lane which I was told had been ongoing for about a month now.

However, I noticed that Budha had closed as well and from what I could catch a glimpse of was also re-opening soon under a new name which I didn't catch.

First time I had been down that way since May, so sorry if this is old news!

Caldy

Just beeen reading the thread on p+b, Tom...

...and it occurred to me that MANY of the closed pubs on the list you published DIDN'T even exist before I left Paisley in 1970.

The only ones I had knowledge of (and I purposely drank in EVERY pub in Paisley at least once before I left) are the following:

Bungalow/Stags Head (now a restaurant)

Arkleston Inn (restaurant)

3 Horseshoes/Chaplins (offices)

Dooslan Stane (shop/take aways)

Centurion Bar (takeaway)

Tartan Bar (shop)

Farriers (flats)

Fulbar Inn (retirement home)

The Silver Thread (retirement home)

Friarshall (demolished...now flats)

Brabloch (demolished...now flats)

Rockford (demolished...now KFC)

Cross Bar (amusement arcade)

St. Mirren Bar (shop)

Long Bar (demolished)

The Lighthouse (demolished...now council buildings)

The Old Tile Bar (demolished...now council buildings)

The East End Bar (demolished to extend road)

Campbell's Bar (demolished)

The Bob Inn/Stringfellows (demolished...now a petrol station)

Reids (formerly Kennedy's/Finlay's) (closed)

Which means that either the below 10 had existed under another name (cos I don't recognise them) or these were simply new start-ups/business ventures that failed.

Fiddler's Green (restaurant)

Carbrook/Centre Spot (restaurant)

New Fergus Hotel (industrial units)

Cannes (flats)

Cotton Club (lying in ruins)

Scandals (shop)

Talk of the Town (demolished...now flats)

Museum Bar (shop)

Threads/Senor Chester's (nursery)

Hogshead (closed)

And even in those I'd been in, some of those were never what you might call 'established drinking dens...' more like new ventures, in themselves - developed to exploit a market...

eg

Silver Thread, Friarshall Centurion Arkleston, Brabloch and Rockford.

Certainly we'd never have dreamt of going anywhere near Friarshall, Brabloch, thread or Rockford if there hadn't been Sunday drinking laws - that meant those places were able to exploit a trapped market and charge accordingly. Such places shouldnae be mourned after the laws changed.

Edited by chingford

Thanks, Tom.

I DO recall the location of some of them now, :) Different names... like The Wellmeadow?

Ones I've STILL no got a clue aboot, are...

Cannes (flats)

The whole Forbes Place/Shuttle Street phenomenon amazed me on visits back up the road.

I still believe the town is very well served wi pubs etc. Civilised... in its way. :)

And thanks for that about the Museum Bar.... :rolleyes:

Edited by chingford

Ones I've STILL no got a clue aboot, are...

Cannes (flats)

As mentioned, Fiddlers Green was an Irish theme bar for a while after The Clubhouse chucked it in the early 90's. Cannes, in Forbes Place, popular for a few years and reconverted into a dwelling along with the rest of Forbes Place, the only bar premises left there, on the co-op side of the street mostly recently named 'Campus' is currently lying dormant.

Talk of the Town was the former and listed Kilnside House at the entrance to the Anchor 'Mile End' Mills off Seedhill Road. It was controversially bulldozed by a certain property speculator and local cab firm operative, fully flying in the face of planning/preservation laws that at worst would impose a paltry fine something like less than 10% of the value of the land for new build developments.

Thread's/Chesters/Hibees club etc was The Waverley Inn as I knew it in the late 80's, used to go and watch my old man and his muso mates do pub gigs on Saturday nights, became a tex-mex restaurant for a while and now as said a kindergarten.

Talk of the Town was the former and listed Kilnside House at the entrance to the Anchor 'Mile End' Mills off Seedhill Road. It was controversially bulldozed by a certain property speculator and local cab firm operative, fully flying in the face of planning/preservation laws that at worst would impose a paltry fine something like less than 10% of the value of the land for new build developments.

Did it not go on fire? :unsure:

Here's an interesting one of The Bowler's Tavern although the picture isn't dated.

The 4 story tenement with The Bowler's at street level was only demolished about a month ago but here there is a pub called "The Bowler's" on the bottom of a 2 storey building with Lady Lane slightly to its left

Might have been frequented by the Bowlers from the four greens within 200 yards of it, yes Four :wink:

And the shop to its right is well known for its legal history.

Edited by Charlie the Charolais

Well I know the Victoria and the Wellmeadow are still within a few hundred yards of that site, what are/were the other 2?

There was a Bowling Green at approx the JNI site, and Priorscroft was formally at the bottom of Townhead Terrace.

If my recollection is right it was Bowey(sp) That owned The one at JNI and the Present Home of Victoria.

PAISLEY VICTORIA BOWLING CLUB, was founded in 1859 by a group of local

workers. These gentlemen were keen bowlers who up until this point, played

their bowls on a private bowling green owned by a Mr William Bowie. This

green was situated at Oakshaw on land that was to become the John Neilston

school. Later these men moved to another green owned by Mr Bowie which was

situated in Lady Lane. It cost 2d for the privilege of playing bowls or 1d

to spectator. In 1854, a number of these gentlemen moved on to form a club of

their own, this club was to be called Wellmeadow Bowling Club. Now there has

over the years been great speculation as to why all the bowlers did not join

this new club, and although nothing can be proved, research has give a fair

indication which I will divulge in the club history to be produced for our

150th anniversary in 18 months time.

Brilliant photo's Tom, where did you get them from?

Edited by Charlie the Charolais

and here it is

longbarum4.jpg

This picture is from 1890 so the building on the left has long since been demolished but I'm pretty sure the one on the right is still standing and has the Glen Cinema memorial plaques attached to it. Everything below the railing is now the High Street approach to the Piazza

The building on the left was replaced (1930's ?) by what now contains the furniture shop at the cross, the one on the right (Temperance Halls) is still there and does indeed display the various plaques regarding the Glen disaster. The pub below was called The Terrace Tavern and apparently it was occasionally possible to see the Cart lapping right past the windows when the river was in spate.

The only remaining clue as to what that may have looked like is the now closed underground gents toilets at Dunn square, particularly when viewed from the Abbey/Town Hall graveyard across the river.

Edited by FS