Xtra Long Connection

whosyirdaddy

:angry: Sid I cant Im on the Kilbarchan / Howwood exchange and canny get it.....

Wish I could because my wee sister got it last week on £20 a month & I pay £15 for freeserve :(

Can you no get it through ntl....think they do a decent low level always on double dial up speed for £15. Also let's you use your phone at the same time. :)

Switch to NTL, costs £25 a month with free installation etc for us for a 600k line, which was about 2p more than we were paying for Freeserve and line rental.

You don't even need to take a TV package with it :)

Switch to NTL, costs £25 a month with free installation etc for us for a 600k line, which was about 2p more than we were paying for Freeserve and line rental.

You don't even need to take a TV package with it :)

Like I said bishopton is a true gr'n';k suburb.....stu's no got a telly, he's gingy and he's smelly...the ginger family. :o

Like I said bishopton is a true gr'n';k suburb.....stu's no got a telly, he's gingy and he's smelly...the ginger family. :o

No point taking an NTL TV package when you have Sky plus downstairs and Sky upstairs ya fanny :lol:

Ladies & Gents,

Lets go back to the start, The reason I asked was because I have no other way of sorting this issue out. I dont live on a broadband exchange or a cable exchange so YES while I appriciate your help & ideas they simply dont help me :(

So I'll ask again :rolleyes: Can I download something that keeps my connection active for more than 2 hours <_<

Ladies & Gents,

Lets go back to the start, The reason I asked was because I have no other way of sorting this issue out. I dont live on a broadband exchange or a cable exchange so YES while I appriciate your help & ideas they simply dont help me :(

So I'll ask again :rolleyes: Can I download something that keeps my connection active for more than 2 hours <_<

Right-click on your internet connection and select properties. Click on the Options tab. Change the idle time before hang up to something more reasonable than the 20 minute default. Ehm. I think. :unsure:

Right-click on your internet connection and select properties. Click on the Options tab. Change the idle time before hang up to something more reasonable than the 20 minute default. Ehm. I think. :unsure:

Reidy does that not mean it would disconnect me after 59 minutes :unsure: Because that seems to be the highest it goes up to :huh:

Guest squigglebob

Did you get this resolved?

Sounds like it's your ISP that's closing the connection (probably only allows 2 hours maximum connection), so you won't be able to force it open longer. When i used NTL dialup they had the same thing. What does your ISPs Web site or Terms and Conditions say?

Did you get this resolved?

Sounds like it's your ISP that's closing the connection (probably only allows 2 hours maximum connection), so you won't be able to force it open longer. When i used NTL dialup they had the same thing. What does your ISPs Web site or Terms and Conditions say?

Not I havent resolved it at all & yes I do believe it is my ISP than disconnects after 2 hours ..... So any suggestions :unsure:

Not I havent resolved it at all & yes I do believe it is my ISP than disconnects after 2 hours ..... So any suggestions :unsure:

Aye - change to an ISP that doesn't disconnect after 2 hours :P ............. OR

Download a bit of software that does your downloads for you, like Real Download Manager (part of the Real Player basic edition install). That way if you are downloading a large file and you are either disconnected or booted off then you can simply start off the download from where it left off rather than have to start again.

There are loads of bits of software that does that - Mozilla Firefox does it automatically I think :)

Aye - change to an ISP that doesn't disconnect after 2 hours  :P  ............. OR

Download a bit of software that does your downloads for you, like Real Download Manager (part of the Real Player basic edition install). That way if you are downloading a large file and you are either disconnected or booted off then you can simply start off the download from where it left off rather than have to start again.

There are loads of bits of software that does that - Mozilla Firefox does it automatically I think  :)

Dont think I can Div as all 56k ISP that I know of doe this and as explained before I cannot get broadband on my exchange

But The Im Away To Try The Mozilla Firefox Thing So Thanx Div :wink:

Edited by whosyirdaddy

Guest squigglebob

Yep a download manager is the way to go in this case.

Mozilla Firefox is probably the best browser available at the moment. The download manager does work quite well, never had any problems (got dodgy cable connection at the moment so download manager is essential) :angry:

Dont think I can Div as all 56k ISP that I know of doe this and as explained before I cannot get broadband on my exchange

But The Im Away To Try The Mozilla Firefox Thing So Thanx Div :wink:

Fecksake. Can ye no move hoose tae somewhere that ye CAN get broadband? :P

I'm not helping really am i. :(

Naw :P But honestly thanx anyway ... Chist I thought ISDN was expensive but satalite is phewwwww major man.... I would need to start selling my stuff to pay for that :lol:

Its more about the connection as believe it or not I have started to settle with 56k until I can get broadband if it was really about speed then the best deal Ive seen was the one Div had advertised on here, the one where they tweak your line majorly :rolleyes: