Oor Tv Is Deid...

chingford

Bought in 1992, our puir telly has gone on the blink: the tube is deid, hardly worth fixing. :(

I'd hoped it might limp on till analogues expired.

So what next? Televisions inhabit an area I've paid little attention to, of late, cos it wisnae a problem.

I've zipped through all 12 pages of this e-Saints thread (!) cos I thought I recalled tv discussions in various postings - like when Div picked up Christian Dailly's 'expletives deleted' (through his telly's wizardry) - but I've not seen anyone eulogising about particular tellies.

Ms Chingford seems to fancy a flat screen on the wall. We don't have Sky or Cable. Cable would be problematic fur oor hoose - so ignore that, but...

...are any of you kind, wise, intelligent, amazingly informed, topical as today, modern as tomorrow, StMirren supporters out there able to make good and sensible suggestions?

About what kinda tv I should get next?

Ta. :)

I presume you've a local ASDA................

They have many TVs from £80- £300 of all shapes and sizes and at certain points in time give you a free 3 guarantee......................

Our current living room model was a replacement for one purchased 2 years and 11 months before it genuinely screwed up and the kit available for £250 was a lot better nearly 3 years down the line............

Taking into account that the screen was broken from a fall in the back of my car on the journey to Govan, it was indeed money well spent all those moons ago.................

I presume you've a local ASDA................

They have many TVs from £80- £300 of all shapes and sizes and at certain points in time give you a free 3 guarantee......................

Our current living room model was a replacement for one purchased 2 years and 11 months before it genuinely screwed up and the kit available for £250 was a lot better nearly 3 years down the line............

Taking into account that the screen was broken from a fall in the back of my car on the journey to Govan, it was indeed money well spent all those moons ago.................

To be fair... the boss has now been on the Tesco website - and that's maybe becoming favourite.

Don't know where my nearest Asda is, but will check their website, too.

And I think flat screens (plasma, lcd etc) are now being chucked oot the windae as non starters cos they are "even more posey - and expensive" than she is...

Phew! :D

Edited by chingford

Widescreen is the biz- If you're using DVD films they look very good.

If you're not now's the ideal time to persuade the significant other that you need a DVD player.

28" seems to be the minimum size- works well in our living room; actually, here in the Mearns it's the family room :P Asda et al do them at v good prices.

Don't worry about digital- If you can't get cable and don't want to make Murdoch even richer then set top digital boxes are coming in at about fifty quid.

Cheapest 42" Plasma screens I've seen are at Richer Sounds

Sadly Mrs McB only raises her eyebrows in thatway when I mention that the price is falling.

I can reveal that the flat screen ones on the wall as you suggested FJ are absolute excellent viewing quality, plus you can get the freeview channels on them. Only thing is they are totally fecking expensive... My mum & dad just got one and T.V. and labour to fit it was approx £4000 :(

Obviously got more money than sense. The programmes on TV are just as s***e whether the TV costs £40 or £4000!!!

I got... the screwdrivers oot.

Got up close and scrutinised and howked aroon, inside. Found a bit wi a hairline crack in the solder; anurra bit that looked singed.

Got the phone and got the neighbour across the road - who's an ex-BT engineer with a big interest in building radios and computers and stuff like that.

Got him to have a look at it. He got his brother who has charts of tv circuit boards.

They got pretty certain that all that was NOT working was the bits that opunch out the vertical part of the picture and that if we got down the Romford Road there were shops that would get us replacement bits... that might work. :unsure:

We got down the Romford Road (Not a lot of people know that Big Arnie S. lived at No 355 for 3 years...!) and got wee bits for tvs.

I watched, fascinated, to see how straightforward it is to replace wee fiddly circuits - if you know what you're doing and which bits to replace. The tv is back and working well (I obviously saw the Spain game and QUOM). I got out £20.00 to cover the parts and gave it to my neighbour (big spender!): he got embarrassed - cos we do some stuff for them - no charge.

In short, what I got was... lucky. :)

Until it definitely dies... :(

... but on the bright side, I now know to just -

Get an ordinary, non-plasma, not necessarily flat-screen, digital tv out of one of the supermarket chains when I need to!

So (final 'got') I've got to offer thanks for all input on this thread. :)

• 2 weeks later...