Top 5 Albums Your Currently Listening To

Liverpool Bud

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Crudenbud where abouts in Oz are you? I take it you'll be well aware of Powderfinger if you're listening to Bernard Fanning. Vulture Street & Odyssey Number 1 are to great albums and the stuff I've heard from Tea & Sympathy is pretty bloody good as well.

I'm in cairns at the moment bud, been here for a couple of months - trying to save up for thailand in july to watch the socceroos in the asian cup!

Tea and Sympathy is a cracking album, well worth a purchase/download! where you at just now?

I'm in cairns at the moment bud, been here for a couple of months - trying to save up for thailand in july to watch the socceroos in the asian cup!

Tea and Sympathy is a cracking album, well worth a purchase/download! where you at just now?

Oh I’m in sunny Scotland but I was in Oz for a month earlier in the year and a few years back I was there for about three or four months. Got to Cairns and did the Barrier Reef, which was gemmie, but basically spent most of my time in the Woolshed. Cairns is one of the greatest tractor beams known to man and that was the main reason. I advise you don’t follow suit and that you manage to save some cash.

If you get back down to NSW go along to see the Central Coast Mariners in Gosford. My cousin lives nearby and he goes along now and again, and he’s a die-hard Bud. There’s also an ex-Saints player is coaching that team now.

Oh aye, and Tea & Sympathy from what I've heard is good.

Woolshed

:guinness

:spud3

:oops

my finest moment in cairns has to be persuading the barman in gilligans to stick the re run of the saints falkirk game on the feckin huge screen out the back at 11 in the morning, and then breaking off from conversation with a wee hottie sunbather to scream "HAW REF THATS A PENALTY!!!"

either that or the mess i made of the dancefloor at velvet underground when the saints 3-2 motherwell text came through

:oops again

Excellent album. I bought it on Friday, and probably listened to it about a dozen times. :headbang

It's a teriffic album. Saw them again a couple of weeks ago at the Barrowlands...fantastic. The recognition they're getting now is no more that they deserve, they were ignored for so long by the mainstream media.

This week it's been.

Biffy Clyro - Puzzle (Of Course)

Biffy Clyro - The Vertigo Of Bliss

Inner City - Paradise

LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver

Maximo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures

:)

The recognition they're getting now is no more that they deserve, they were ignored for so long by the mainstream media.

The strange name maybe did not help. Any idea on how their name came about?

Edited by Jay

Like I said on the I'm listening to...... thread Ash have said that in future they won't be releasing albums but will be concentrating on singles and downloads.

IMO the switch from people buying CD's instead of vinyl has lead to albums being longer these days as groups try to give you better value for money. Unfortunately this has resulted in a lot of filler material being include and quite often tracks being a bit flabby after all what's the point in trimming a song from 7 to 5 minutes if you've got 80 minutes of CD to fill instead of 50 minutes of vinyl. The last Iron Maiden album A Matter of Life or Death was a prime example of this - 10 tracks running to over 70 minutes, you could have improved the album by taking two minutes off of each of the tracks!

A story I heard was that when they were together in school one of their classmates had a pen that had a picture of Cliff Richard on it. It got called the "Cliffy biro".

KS, can't you ask anyone who might have been in school with them?

I had heard the the Cliffy Biro story too but I think they dismissed that. My pal at work sees Simon Neil's brother at the Curling, maybe he could find out. :) I actually met the drummer in the pub one night a few years ago before I knew who the band were, bloody nice bloke.

The recognition they're getting now is no more that they deserve, they were ignored for so long by the mainstream media.

Simple explanation. They used to be on an independent label but last year they signed to Warner Bros, et voila, the press is full of them. It's no coincidence. The big labels pay and pamper the press in so many ways and thats how Biffy Clyro, and many others, get the exposure.

In that respect, I would actually say they aren't getting the recognition they deserve, they are getting the recognition the label has paid for and they are selling the extra records to people that only buy what's on the cover of certain magazines.

Another sad example of labels and magazines deciding what becomes popular.

Edited by Thorizaar

It's a teriffic album. Saw them again a couple of weeks ago at the Barrowlands...fantastic. The recognition they're getting now is no more that they deserve, they were ignored for so long by the mainstream media.

Puzzle is the first Biffy Clyro album I've bought and I think it's utterly outstanding (hence the new sig and avatar!).

Can you recommend any other albums KS?

Simple explanation. They used to be on an independent label but last year they signed to Warner Bros, et voila, the press is full of them. It's no coincidence. The big labels pay and pamper the press in so many ways and thats how Biffy Clyro, and many others, get the exposure.

In that respect, I would actually say they aren't getting the recognition they deserve, they are getting the recognition the label has paid for and they are selling the extra records to people that only buy what's on the cover of certain magazines.

Another sad example of labels and magazines deciding what becomes popular.

Hence the reason Coldplay are so popular even though they are utter, utter shite.

cover_reissue_cd.jpg

Get yer Ears roon that Big Chap! :rolleyes:

Ah, there's a blast from the past! :D

Puzzle is the first Biffy Clyro album I've bought and I think it's utterly outstanding (hence the new sig and avatar!).

Can you recommend any other albums KS?

You could start with the previous one, Infinity Land. Probably the most like Puzzle, but a bit more raw and with more shouty bits.

Puzzle is a bit more commercial than any of the previous albums. My favourite before the new album came out was probably The Vertigo Of Bliss. It took me a few listens to get my head round it, but it has some really interesting songs, not your usual verse, chorus, verse chorus etc.

1. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

2. Grinderman - Grinderman

3. Willy Mason - If the Ocean Gets Rough

4. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

5. Biffy Clyro - Puzzle (given all the chat on here I thought I'd give this a go but alas it's not for me)

Edited by allym1877

3. Willy Mason - If the Ocean Gets Rough

A fine album.

For me today it's:-

Stories From the City Stories From the Sea – PJ Harvey

Welcome to my Nightmare – Alice Cooper

Planet Groove – Huey (of the Fun Lovin’ Criminals)

Into the Great Wide Open – Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

The Lee Mack Show – Lee Mack, featuring Suggs, Sophie Ellis Bextor & Tom Robinson. A Friday chuckle.

Funnily enough, I've got that on at the moment as well. Great album. :)

Was never a fan of hers until I heard that album. It's fúckin' magic!

On that tour she played the Barras on a Wednesday night in September/October. I was going to go along but decided to go to Forthbank and see First Division Saints take on Third Division Stirling Albion in the League Cup. Saints went a goal up in the first half. I think you can guess the rest of the story. :angry: