Top 5 Songs

Rothesay Saint

Thought as a sort of tribute I would pick top five songs I first heard on John Peel (although number 4 is a bit of a cheat, because I was already a belle and sebastian fan).

I have taken all of mine from the 2001 festive 50, you can get a link to it here

1. Melys - 'Chinese Whispering'

2. Meanwhile, Back In Communist Russia - 'Morning after pill'

3. Ballboy - 'They'll hang flags from cranes'

4. Belle and Sebastian - 'Jonathan David'

5. Stereolab - 'Captain Easychord'

Bought them all, thanks John! :)

2. Ivor Cutler

Not a band but wtf, a wee gem brought to my attention by peel. Cutler's life in a scottish sitting room was a wee gem.

That was on of the shows strong points, eccentric poets like Cutler mixed with garage bands.

Peel's championing of Viv Stanshall's work also worth mentioning.

Edited by Tom McB

Not a band but wtf, a wee gem brought to my attention by peel. Cutler's life in a scottish sitting room was a wee gem.

That was on of the shows strong points, eccentric poets like Cutler mixed with garage bands.

Peel's championing of Viv Stanshall's work also worth mentioning.

Never had John Peel down as a GAY ICON................

Getting fed up with all this pish about John Peel now. He had a radio that played 99% pish with the odd gem coming through - hardly a startling feat considering he was on the radio for such a long time.

He was a public schoolboy, a scouser and ultimately one ignorant maudelin wee f'k'r. He just had a very good job getting payed to play any old s***e on the radio. :rolleyes:

Worth a wee mention but you'd think he'd had his heid chopped off by terrorists whilst on a mercy mission to save a hospital full of orphans about to be blown up by US bombers.

Wee bit of perspective ya fannies. :P

• 4 weeks later...