I Pod

Liverpool Bud

just recieved an ipod as a gift

my pc runs windows 98 - - non compatible with i pod software

but it has a firewire card!!

my work lap top has windows xp professional - i pod software compatible.... but no space for fitting a firewire card

technican has informed me that i can buy a i pod usb 2 capable to facilitate music transfer from lap top to the i pod

will this affect the transfer speed - or music quality?

has anyone else had the same problems?

any ideas or suggestions welcomed

cheers

Liverpoolbud

just recieved an ipod as a gift

my pc runs windows 98 - - non compatible with i pod software

but it has a firewire card!!

my work lap top has windows xp professional - i pod software compatible.... but no space for fitting a firewire card

technican has informed me that i can buy a i pod usb 2 capable to facilitate music transfer from lap top to the i pod

will this affect the transfer speed - or music quality?

has anyone else had the same problems?

any ideas or suggestions welcomed

cheers

Liverpoolbud

Sell it :)

Ally - you can get yourself the USB cable from Apple.com/uk

The transfer mechanism makes no difference to speed, in actual fact USB 2.0 is faster than Firewire at transferring. The speed makes no difference to the quality of the ripped files (although the beter quality you rip the files at the larger they will be and the longer they will take to transfer !).

If your work machine is only USB 1.1 then it will be quite slow to transfer the ripped files (you can use a USB 2.0 cable on a 1.1 port but it only runs at 1.1 speed) from I-Tunes to your I-Pod but you only do it once (and then synch what has changed) so it shouldn't really make much difference.

Only problem is that apple.com/uk are advising 2 weeks for the cable. You might be able to get one in the shops sooner than that - or try e-bay !

You can also buy a PCMCIA firewire card for your laptop which you can plug in and out as and when you need to use it as an alternative (most laptops have 1 or 2 PCMCIA slots in the side of the chassis) - but if you have spare USB ports then I would just use them on your home PC as perhaps your work won;t want you installing new cards into your work laptop, installing I-Tunes and ripping GB's of music on to their machine !

Where to get it all;

USB cable from Apple (£15 but takes 2 weeks to deliver !?)

Click Here

OR

PCMCIA Firewire Card for laptop (£26 next day delivery) from dabs;

Click Here