Top 5 Lines

Reidy1987

Cheers, Bud! That rant that Willie goes on in that episode had me falling off the bloody seat. That's when I realised The Simpsons were so good.

Number 5 is from Golden Gordon, Michael Palin's Ripping Yarns series. He's the die hard supporter of Barnstonworth United, a Yorkshire non-league team very much down on their luck. He comes back from a game and goes off on a rant "Eight one! Eight bloody one!!! Their centre forward wears specs!!!"

There's another cracker when his wife is going on about how obssessed he is with the team to the extent "you've even named your son after the team. What kind of a boys name is Barnstonworth?" "He's got another name" "Yes, United!".

The only one of Ripping Yarns I ever rememebr seeing. Funny as.

Tom, 3 is Full Metal Jacket and 5 is the ever fabulous Shawshank Redemption (and I believe you once had that as your signature).

Indeed my own sig is from Bladerunner. However, everyone I know prefers the directors cut whereas I like the one with the voice over. But that's just me, I guess.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McB,

Did you know that the producers of Butch Cassidy & ... wanted Bob Dylan to sing that song instead of that French fella!

Oh Lord NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Doesn't bear examination- Bob's record (no pun intended) with other people's songs is exceedingly patchy.

Interesting that you mentioned a French singer- I mentally concurred and googled to get his name- It was BJ Thomas who did the song.

Have a keek at him here.

Older readers like Ching will recognise the cravat in the photae as the sine qua non of bad taste in the late sixties.

Now why do I think that Sach Distel did it? A bit more googling and the it seems that Sacha did cover it.

French lyrics here.

Dammit I should know No.5 :(

Sorry I've been away for a few days, here are the answers to mine...

1. Aaaaaaah. You’re a disgrace to the forces of evil! (Sleeping Beauty)

2. There are two kinds of people in this world……… (The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)

3. I'll go. – Reply - This is no time for bravery. I'll let ya! (Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid)

4. We ride….. to Aqaba! (Lawrence of Arabia)

5. I will not be threatened by a walking meat loaf! (American Werewolf in London)

McB,

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

Interesting that you mentioned a French singer- I mentally concurred and googled to get his name- It was BJ Thomas who did the song.

I think I used to know that Sacha Distel didn't do the version in the film at one point.

Unfortunately I've reached the stage in life where new facts seem to drive old ones from my head.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is on some time between Christmas and new Year, as is For A Few Dollars More.

Superb films. And some killer lines:-

"HEY BLOND!!!!! YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE???? JUST A DIRTY SON OF AAAH-AHH-AHH-AHH-AAHH WAH-WAH-WAAAHHHH"

Sergio Leone - top man!

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

Unfortunately I've reached the stage in life where new facts seem to drive old ones from my head.

Yes been there, seen it, done it :(

2. There are two kinds of people in this world……… (The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)

Dammit- should have known that :(:(

Indeed- a film filled with classic lines, Leone was the man for action films in the late sixties- often thought that Peckinpah was OTT- The wild bunch was OK but Straw Dogs :ph34r:

Straw Dogs, you know -

written by a Paisley Buddie, Gordon M Williams?

Published under the title: The Siege of Trencher's Farm.

Not quite as snappy...

And can you see the glaring fault in the title of GMW's first novel, a tense, action-packed thriller?

"The LAST day of Lincoln Charles."

Somehow I wasn't as much on tenterhooks throughout, as I might have been.

I won't give away the ending, but someone dies...

Edited by chingford

Straw Dogs, you know -

written by a Paisley Buddie, Gordon M Williams?

Published under the title: The Siege of Trencher's Farm.

Not quite as snappy...

Did you ever read the book?

Genuine question-never knew it was based on a book.

Sometimes films make a Horlicks of a decent book. Although I thought clockwork orange was a ggod book I thought the film was poor- always wondered if Kubrick's decision to pull the film was due to the stories of tramps being set on fire which the press used against the film or mibies jist than Stan decided it was a poor film.

Not that mah heid's totally disappeared up my movie-buff bum, but I don't know if he even had names in the first two Clint Films, as in:

REVENGE OF THE CREATURE

(Sequel to Creature from the Black Lagoon) where he played one of the pilots supposed to bomb/shoot The Creature

and...

his next wee roles were either in Tarantula or Godiva - neither of which was the eponymous starring role, I think.

Which brings me back to your question/quote the other day...

There are two kinds of people in this world……… (The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)

Bearing in mind mah daft sig below, izzat no three kinds in the brackets?

ok, did he have a name in the dollar movies? Apart from 'the man with no name'?

did he have a name in the dollar movies? Apart from 'the man with no name'?

Aw aye... :)

Joe - he was called, 'Joe' by most characters in those movies. Never knew that... or remembered it.

Despite its title his newest movie is not another spaghetti western in that fine series.

It's called Million Dollar Baby - and he trains a wummin prizefighter. Got good reveiws in the US, so far.