Maes Howe And The Winter Solstice

Brilliant place - really enjoyed Maes Howe and ALL the associated sites nearby...

The whole of Orkney and Shetland is bespattered with similar fascinating locations and wonderful land and sea-scapes.

I would recommend you ALL take a trip up to the far North, whenever you can asap, to visit the likes of Maes Howe, I 'would' but...

...I'm not as into all that religious mumbo-jumbo stuff, as Tom obviously is... whistling.gif

It's fantastic from an engineering point of view as much as anything else. But then, who in their right mind would be into scientific nonsense like that? :ph34r:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Here we go again!

:)

Clickity-click to see the sun creep up Maes Howe's passage, matron.

http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/index.html

The busy day (if there's sunshine) is tomorrow, Tuesday the 22nd, but the days around it can be equally (if no even better!) braw...

Eta:

The passage cam is only live in the afternoon, when the sun passes between the hills on Hoy to cast its gleam on the Howe. The exterior cam is looking promising. I've had MANY worse days there, this so-called summer!

Edited by bluto

Here we go again!

smile.png

Clickity-click to see the sun creep up Maes Howe's passage, matron.

http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/index.html

The busy day (if there's sunshine) is tomorrow, Tuesday the 22nd, but the days around it can be equally (if no even better!) braw...

Eta:

The passage cam is only live in the afternoon, when the sun passes between the hills on Hoy to cast its gleam on the Howe. The exterior cam is looking promising. I've had MANY worse days there, this so-called summer!

Passage cam? I had one of them done a few years back.

You have to lie on your side, and they effectively inflate your colon in order to get the camera up there - meanwhile you can watch it all as it happens on the screen by the bed. Now, much as I have always believed that the sun shines out of my arse, I don't recall any remarkable solar event occuring at the time, but maybe I winced a little and missed it.

Edited by Drew

Hmmm.

From the Ext cam looking towards Hoy's Ward Hill, you can see clouds are blocking the sun from shining up the passage.

In the gloom of the main Int shot, they have left a small light in the rear 'grave space' to help give context - where the sun SHOULD be on the floor right now, is only a faint greyness.

Apparently... it's an EXCELLENT forecast for tomorrow...

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Really? What hemisphere are you in? Up here in the northern hemisphere the winter solstice is when the sun is over the Tropic of Capricorn, i.e. at its furthest away from us.

Very good, Pike.... er.... Slartibartfast.

I wondered when someone would spot that one.  :)

Sunshine all the way, as I said.

:P

Very good, Pike.... er.... Slartibartfast.

I wondered when someone would spot that one.  [emoji4]

Sunshine all the way, as I said.

[emoji14]

Aye, that old chestnut...

Given it's the festive season, it's only fair it gets roasted, then.

[emoji6]

• 3 years later...

Bump!

It's that time of the year again.

However THIS year - for the first time - the lack of live video of the midwinter sun shining down the length down the  tunnel leading to the heart of of Maes Howe Burial Mound is attributed to...   ta-raaaaa...

..Covid 19!

There are other links of other years showing the passage of light and winter sunset at this link:

Maeshowe Winter Solstice Sunset