Non Pre-season Friendlies

Guest Roy Castle

Guest Roy Castle

Here are some frendlies I remember that were played during a season and not pre-season ones

88/89 - Monday Night, possibly Sept - v Orlando Lions, this US soccer team were touring Scotland and we won 2-0 at Love Street, I think Winnie and Brian Hamilton may have scored

95ish v Hyundai Horang an 0-0 draw at Love Street on a Friday night, I remember the South Koreans were an excellent passing side.

95ish v Some Mob From Iceland - Another Friday night affair, we lost 1-0 with a penalty being scored by their Brazilian striker Jefferson!

Feb 99 v Hearts at Love St, a game arranged with both Hearts and Saints being out of the Scottish Cup, Hearts won 2-0

87/88 v Shrewsbury Town - Wasn't at the game, but we lost 2-1 I think, a Friday night game with us being out of the Scottish Cup.

2001/2 v Middlesbrough, The LDV Cup Final, think Middlesbrough won 2-0

87/88 away to Coventry - British Cup Final, the 2 winners of the 87 FA and Scottish Cup met up. it finished 1-1, the return leg was never played, so techinally Saints won on the away goals

Guest Captain Sensible

I can remember Arsenal beating us 3-2 at Love Street in 1980 I think. They had out their full strength side as well - Stapleton, Rix, O'Leary, etc.

Can't imagine today's Arsenal coming to play us at Love Street! :lol:

I can also remember us drawing 1-1 with the then European Champions Liverpool in 1977 in the Centenary match. Liverpool won on penalties. Again, full strength Liverpool side, Kenny Dalglish, et al.

Edited by Captain Sensible

1-0 Saints with Donnie McDowell the scorer.  They had Gorgon and Deyna who played in the Poland team which finished 3rd in the 1974 World Cup.  And it was very cold.  The very bad school boy joke on the night was about ice poles...  :o

i've got the programme for this game and never new the score..it's haunted me for years :huh::huh:

1-0 Saints with Donnie McDowell the scorer. They had Gorgon and Deyna who played in the Poland team which finished 3rd in the 1974 World Cup. And it was very cold. The very bad school boy joke on the night was about ice poles... :o

Denya was the Poland captain at the time.

Aye.....it was freezing that night.......I can remember there being some Legia Warsaw fans in the North Bank - complete with big fur hats. :o

We beat Tampa Bay Rowdies 4-2. They were the reigning NASL champions at a time when the New York Cosmos et al were signing up Pele, Beckenbauer etc for a last pay-day. (And, of course, Jimmy Bone used to do his summer stint with Toronto Blizzard in the same league.)

Tampa were on a UK tour supposedly to show off the standard of the US teams. They turned over a couple of English top-flight clubs and beat (I think) Dundee. The Buddies were the only team to beat them.

Before kick-off, there was a mini-competition between the teams to demonstrate the NASL equivalent of a penalty shoot-out, where the striker got the ball about thirty yards out and then had to beat the keeper one-on-one. North Bank unimpressed. Cue "What the f*ckin hell is that?"

Then they brought out their cheerleaders and the mood improved.

I remember the Arsenal 2-3 game too, as it was the first time Saints had ever played on a Sunday. I also seem to remember two of Arsenal's goals looking way, way offside, but that might have been the visual effect of watching our back four being seriously outpaced by their strikers.

• 8 years later...

I remember going to see Saints playing Stenhousemuir at Ochilview in early December 1985 in a hastily arrange friendly, I believe this was arranged due to league matches being postponed and Stenny having a free weekend because it was the first round of the Scottish Cup.

Saints won the match 2 nil

I remember going to see Saints playing Stenhousemuir at Ochilview in early December 1985 in a hastily arrange friendly, I believe this was arranged due to league matches being postponed and Stenny having a free weekend because it was the first round of the Scottish Cup.

Saints won the match 2 nil

Thank you Flareybob Crampsey thumbup2.gif

Here are some frendlies I remember that were played during a season and not pre-season ones

88/89 - Monday Night, possibly Sept - v Orlando Lions, this US soccer team were touring Scotland and we won 2-0 at Love Street, I think Winnie and Brian Hamilton may have scored

95ish v Hyundai Horang an 0-0 draw at Love Street on a Friday night, I remember the South Koreans were an excellent passing side.

95ish v Some Mob From Iceland - Another Friday night affair, we lost 1-0 with a penalty being scored by their Brazilian striker Jefferson!

Feb 99 v Hearts at Love St, a game arranged with both Hearts and Saints being out of the Scottish Cup, Hearts won 2-0

87/88 v Shrewsbury Town - Wasn't at the game, but we lost 2-1 I think, a Friday night game with us being out of the Scottish Cup.

2001/2 v Middlesbrough, The LDV Cup Final, think Middlesbrough won 2-0

87/88 away to Coventry - British Cup Final, the 2 winners of the 87 FA and Scottish Cup met up. it finished 1-1, the return leg was never played, so techinally Saints won on the away goals

We also had a friendly v Derby County for Shuggies testimonial whilst Bob Malcolm was with them. We had an Algerian on trial who looked very good. We went on to win 1-0 im sure and the Algerian went AWOL afterwards even though we were interested in signing him.

We also had a friendly v Derby County for Shuggies testimonial whilst Bob Malcolm was with them. We had an Algerian on trial who looked very good. We went on to win 1-0 im sure and the Algerian went AWOL afterwards even though we were interested in signing him.

Algerian?

Probably went for a dump!!