Norrie Mcwhirter

Brew-c

Norrie has a building/joinery business. The great man himself recently completed some excellent building conversion and kitchen replacement work at a mate's house in Renfrew.

Yeah he's still working away with his joinery business. I know him quite well as he's my mum and dads neighbour. Top bloke and in my eyes a St. Mirren legend!

As Friend of James I find it pretty pathetic that people blame him for Norrie not making it in the game.

Get a grip FFS James is a smashing wee guy.

No doubt he is but you can't deny that tackle at Kilbowie was an absolute shocker. It was a studs up direct hit on Norrie's knee, a quite horrific tackle that he never quite managed make a full recovery from.

Without that injury he would have played at the top level in England imo.

No doubt he is but you can't deny that tackle at Kilbowie was an absolute shocker. It was a studs up direct hit on Norrie's knee, a quite horrific tackle that he never quite managed make a full recovery from.

Agreed.

It was a shocking tackle but Norrie had numerous injuries over the years

The one that stands out was he kicked the turf taking a free kick and fecked the ligaments in his knee

He was top of his game at that time and was out for months with that one

Rumour was he was signing for the green bhigots prior to this injury

No one who saw Norrie play would have a bad word to say about him.

Easily one of the best players I ever witnesses play for the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co first team playing squad. I see someone called him over-rated early on in this thread. This just proves that many use the internet without knowledge or thought.

Great player who never got his big move (much to our betterment at the time) and a man who should have walked into the Scotland team.

No one who saw Norrie play would have a bad word to say about him.

Easily one of the best players I ever witnesses play for the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co first team playing squad. I see someone called him over-rated early on in this thread. This just proves that many use the internet without knowledge or thought.

Great player who never got his big move (much to our betterment at the time) and a man who should have walked into the Scotland team.

Well said, agree with all that Tom. Norrie was that rare breed of local lad (think he went to Camphill if memory serves) who genuinely cared for the club and unfailingly gave his all.

Funny, we see pages and pages of opinion, excitement and vitriol on here when we are linked with pretty much any player from a Premiership academy, or any ex Celtic or oldRangers, we had the circus that surrounded the farce that was Eric Double D etc, stick 10 Norries and a capable keeper in your team and we would be top 6 every year.

There's a lot to be said about genuine local talent who care verses journeymen, prima-donnas and jabronis. Speaking of which, any word on Gow?

One of my all time favourite players! I don't think I ever see him score a goal that wasn't spectacular!! He scored a peach against Clyde I think - knocked the ball over a guys head then did it again and volleyed it in to the back of the net!! Brilliant playerthumbup2.gif

remember that goal superb , also when andy ritchie was there hes started taking free kicks some were crackers

ps that tackle at kilbowie was an assualt fans wanted to get that we bas,,,d grady after game ,even though grady brother was a saints fan in the crowd

never got to full his full potenial

but still a legend one of our own

Edited by mad saint 2

As Friend of James I find it pretty pathetic that people blame him for Norrie not making it in the game.

Get a grip FFS James is a smashing wee guy.

I find it pretty pathetic that you feel the need to claim to be a friend of every professional footballer in the country. The guy was red carded for a shocking studs up tackle and Norrie never played again that season. And that had no effect on his career? We just discount it because he is your imaginary friend?

The assault was an absolute shocker. It looked every bit a tackle intended to seriously injure a fellow professional. What was worse for me at the game was it seemed to take the ref ducking ages to show the red card. Perhaps he was as horrified as the rest of us but it looked like the ref was waiting to check Norries leg was actually broken. IIRC that wee c**t even tried to protest his innocence to the ref. I'll never forgive Grady that tackle.

Without a doubt my favourite St Mirren player over the 40 odd years I've been going. A great player, capable of great pieces of skill, scored some wonderful goals but had plenty of dig about him as well. He was a shining light in a period where we were struggling on and off the park, and while he seemed quite a quiet and unassuming guy, he led by example on the park.

Without doubt our only real class act we had from a dismal 90s, would surely have

went on to far bigger things if not for his injuries...

A wee story I heard from a friend of Norries was that after he and Lambert were sacked

from the Livi job they continued on the payroll for the remainder of there contracts, but when

PL got the Wycombe job he asked Norrie to head south with him, but he refused it due to him

having to cancel his Livi contract... money for nothing basically..

Lambert's just had a £10million pay off from Villa while Norrie's working as a Joiner.. Life's a c**t...

Most talented player I have seen in my years watching St Mirren. Anyone who thinks that is over the top should watch a video, (if there was one), of that season he scored 10 plus goals from defence. Every type you could imagine - headers, overhead kick, free kicks, solo efforts from his own half...

Legend.

The assault was an absolute shocker. It looked every bit a tackle intended to seriously injure a fellow professional. What was worse for me at the game was it seemed to take the ref ducking ages to show the red card. Perhaps he was as horrified as the rest of us but it looked like the ref was waiting to check Norries leg was actually broken. IIRC that wee c**t even tried to protest his innocence to the ref. I'll never forgive Grady that tackle.

I agree with every word you've said Stuart.

Which is a first for me Bud