Norrie Mcwhirter

Brew-c

I find it pretty pathetic that you feel the need to claim to be a friend of every professional footballer in the country. The guy was red carded for a shocking studs up tackle and Norrie never played again that season. And that had no effect on his career? We just discount it because he is your imaginary friend?

On the other hand, Norrie could also dish it out...

He broke his leg in a reserve game at Pittodrie in the Davie Hay season as a result of a tackle that HE was sent off for... sad.png

I'm sure that tackle also had a negative effect on his subsequent career.

The fact is that he suffered from injuries his whole career. And if he hadn't then I'm sure he'd have been off to a bigger club.

He was a fantastic player and was the one real class player we had during years of drivel in the First Division. Without him we may even have ended up in the Second Division.

Oh for the days when we had a proper youth set up that could produce players of Norrie's quality...

You made me laugh out loud with that Cap. You're right though. And that old youth system cost a great deal less than the one in place now. There was no "academy" or "dome" and players didn't sign S Forms until they were at least 14 years old. All that the club needed was a few good scouts and a good working relationship with a number of the local youth football clubs.

And the same point can be made looking right across Scottish clubs who invested in "youth academies". Since Murray Park opened Rangers haven't managed to produce another Iain Durrant, indeed their last "great" player to come through their youth system was Barry Ferguson who broke into the Rangers first team some 5 years before Murray Park opened. Celtic? Is James Forrest a patch on the kids they used to produce like Peter Grant, Paul McStay or even Aidan McGeady who was in the first team at Celtic the year before Lennoxtown opened. At Hibs their last crop of talented youngsters - Scott Brown, Garry O'Connor, Steven Whittaker, and Kevin Thompson were all through the system and out long before they opened their academy at East Mains and while Hearts now appear to be beginning to reap some sort of benefit from their facility at Herriott Watt they've only managed to hold on to the facility thanks to the fact that Herriott Watt agreed to let them use it for free.

You made me laugh out loud with that Cap. You're right though. And that old youth system cost a great deal less than the one in place now. There was no "academy" or "dome" and players didn't sign S Forms until they were at least 14 years old. All that the club needed was a few good scouts and a good working relationship with a number of the local youth football clubs.

And the same point can be made looking right across Scottish clubs who invested in "youth academies". Since Murray Park opened Rangers haven't managed to produce another Iain Durrant, indeed their last "great" player to come through their youth system was Barry Ferguson who broke into the Rangers first team some 5 years before Murray Park opened. Celtic? Is James Forrest a patch on the kids they used to produce like Peter Grant, Paul McStay or even Aidan McGeady who was in the first team at Celtic the year before Lennoxtown opened. At Hibs their last crop of talented youngsters - Scott Brown, Garry O'Connor, Steven Whittaker, and Kevin Thompson were all through the system and out long before they opened their academy at East Mains and while Hearts now appear to be beginning to reap some sort of benefit from their facility at Herriott Watt they've only managed to hold on to the facility thanks to the fact that Herriott Watt agreed to let them use it for free.

Correct.

I find it pretty pathetic that you feel the need to claim to be a friend of every professional footballer in the country. The guy was red carded for a shocking studs up tackle and Norrie never played again that season. And that had no effect on his career? We just discount it because he is your imaginary friend?

You've obviously never played at a high level like me these things happen,I was just saying to my good friend john Sutton and he agreed to much is made of things like this.

Norrie had a rare condition. Ligaments or muscle tissue, when damaged, (unfortunately for him this happened more often than to other players), would fission to the bone. This was why his injuries wouldn't heal and would often need more surgery. This was only found out for Norrie when he kicked the turf taking a free kick against Ayr utd in 94 I think. Too late for Norrie at that time. Such a shame.

He was interviewed in black and white magazine and asked if he enjoyed his football career. He said no, he didn't due to his injuries and they way things went for him. Complete shame for such a talented football player.