Top (not) Five Tunes

Bill Lees

I've been giving this a little thought lately (though perhaps not as much thought as Reidy or Chingford, har har). I'm not going to limit this to five, since it ain't finalised yet, but here are a few to consider. Some are definites, mind - I'll leave it up to you to consider which ones. Post your own - but do remember these have to be tunes that really mean something to you.

1. "A Scottish Soldier" - Andy Stewart.

2. "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff.

3. " Miss Annabel Lee" - Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grapelli.

4. "Soothe Me" - Sam & Dave.

5. "The Mountain" - Abdullah Ibrahim.

6. "The Midnight Special" - Leadbelly.

7. "Mary's Prayer" - Danny Wilson.

8. " Oh When the Saints" (of course) - Louis Armstrong.

9. "Kaliope House" The Waterboys.

10. "Danny Boy" - Ben Webster.

11. "Your Cheatin' Heart" - John Carmichael and his Scottish Country Dance Band.

1. Asleep - The Smiths (get them greetin straight away)

2. MLK - U2 ( keep the tears flowing)

3. Oh When the Saints - SMFC 1987 (concentrate the mind with something personal)

4. Killing in the Name Of - RATM ( final rebellion)

5. Ha Ha You're Dead - Green Day (leave them laughing)

On the funnier side... David Gray - Leave Me On The Other Side....

Seriously thought.... Never really thought about it but here goes

1) Theme Music From Braveheart

2) Semisonic - Secret Smile

3) Davie Grohl - Times Like These (Acoustic Version)

4) Oasis - Sunday Morning Calls (Noel Tastics)

5) Radiohead - Creep & Street Spirit

6) 3 Doors Down - Away From The Sun

7) Paul Weller - Town Called Mallice (acoustic version ... of course :wink: )

I could go on forever & ever but I'd end up with a full nights worth of music :lol:

I wouldnt actually mind if I had music at mine really because I'd end up being reincarnated to do the sound system :lol:

I already have the following music requests in my will:

1. Wish you were here/Great Gig in the Sky/Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd Mix - Intro

2. One Step Beyond - Madness

3. Firestarter - The Prodigy

4. Babe I'm Gonna Leave you/Stairway to Heaven- Led Zepplin Mix

5. Are you Lonesome Tonight (Laughing version) - Elvis Presley - Exit

During the service Flower of Scotland and Oh When the Saints will be sung by the attendees.

This will not be a dull day - plenty of money will be set aside for post fire party.

Inland Revenue states that "reasonable" funeral expenses are allowed to cater for wake and so on - I've asked them what reasonable means and they do not stipulate an exact figure - only that it does not cover travel & accomodation (aside from my coffin and fast black cab)!

So basically I will set aside a chunk of dosh that will be outside my IHT allowance for the cremation activities and any remainder will go to a charitable trust - SMISA.

As far as I'm concerned I've paid my tax on any assets I own - The IR can whistle for any more money from me after my death!

Needless to say my immediate family will be well look after..... B)

Wow, sounds great. I cannae wait till you pop your clogs now, I knew you'd mention Pink Floyd after that night at the symphony hall - awesome!

My playlist:

Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley

Love Me Tender - Elvis

When the Saints - Inkspots

The Good Life - Tony Bennett

Fight The Power - Public Enemy

Also Bill Hicks 'its just a ride....' monologue rather than any fuggin religion.

GRIM THOUGHT BUT AS YOU MENTION IT

1. I'M ON MY WAY - THE PROCLAIMERS

2. TOO LATE FOR GOODBYES - JULIAN LENNON

3. ONCE IN A LIFE TIME - TALKING HEADS

4. CAN U DIG IT - THE MOCK TURTLES

5. HERE'S WHERE THE STORY ENDS - TIN TIN OUT FT.SHELLEY NELSON

Being the most secular of people there will be no hymns.

Kicking with the same (lack of) foot as yourself, Tom, I would have (of :P ) tended to agree with you.

However, after attending 3 funerals last Spring, of pals barely into their 50s, my mind was changed.

Two of them were Humanist, secular affairs. Nice enough but they were dreich - simply having orations and folk talking at you about them and with their belated choice of music. There was no personal interaction and no chance for us to participate. And the point of having a funeral ritual at all, surely, is that you are supposed to be there to 'PAY' respects? If you just sit and don't get involved in some way there's no chance of doing so.

The third was out at Johnstone. A pal from BB days, who'd lived in London for a few years. He was still very intae aw that 'Kirky stuff'... and we sang abide with me and will your anchor hold... and the rafters nearly raised! A much more positive, uplifting and satisfying event.

If I can, I'll just slope off to the Himalayas, stagger into remote hills and disappear up some obscure glacier.

The song of the wind in my hair should suffice...

I hope each and every one of you will dance on my grave

....................................................................................................................... ...............................................................................................................

I'm getting buiryed at sea :P

Fuxake NSS, fu cked up the width ya dafty. :rolleyes:

Edited by Reidy1987

• 2 months later...

Heard the other day that at Malcolm Hardee's recent funeral, the mad, bonkers, and anarchic comedian (who died falling out of his rowing boat, pissed, into the Thames) was carried out of the church at his funeral service to the strains of Elvis's "Return to Sender".

Class. :rolleyes: