War Films

Bloomsbury Bud

I see that Channel 4 are running yet another fuggin top 100 list, this time war films. I thought 'for fugs sake not another list', and then I thought, 'stuff it, top 5 time'

1. Paths of Glory

2. Land and Freedom

3. The Deer Hunter

4. Lawerence of Arabia

5. Apocalypse Now

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest murdy

band of brothers (not a film,but true to its cause)

a bridge too far

all quiet on the western front (original version)

the longest day

gettysburg

waterloo

stalingrad

das boot

top5. almost impossible.

Can't believe that nobody has mentioned "The cruel Sea"

Cross of Iron is wonderful- got it on DVD, possibly Peckinpah's best film.

Dr Strangelove- surely the war film to end all war films?

LBBs mention of Paths of Glory- :clapping Superb

Downfall- catch it in cinemas now- superb.

LBBs mention of Paths of Glory-  :clapping Superb

170833[/snapback]

Thanks, I even spelt it correctly :wink: .

I still remember Paths of Glory being on TV years ago and my old man saying, beforehand, what a wonderful film it was. Is it Kubrick's best film? - IMHO yes.

Herbie, I'm inclined to think Braveheart is a war film, considered it for my top 5, too.

War is not big and it's not clever. Making films about such is degrading to all those unfortunates who have died, directly or indirectly, as a result. It's abhorrent that there are those who make money out of it, even worse that there are those who will PAY to revel in this filth and downright disgusting that there are those who will then make a list of their top 5 favourites. :angry:

Guest Jeddy

1. The Great Escape

2. Downfall

3. Saving Private Ryan

4. Where Eagles Dare

5. The Dirt Dozen

Band of Brothers is an exceptional series, based on the true story of an American paratrooper company who were on the frontline from DDay onwards. Well worth the money to buy on DVD. B)

Best 5 I own.......................

1. Schindler's List

(Not yer average war movie, but hardly yer average subject matter either :unsure: )

2. Apocalypse Now

(Even if the story it was based on was set in Africa instead of 'Nam :blink: )

3. The Deer Hunter

(Walken at his best, and DeNiro wasn't bad either :D )

4. Platoon

(Anyone else notice the flag on the tank at the end? :ph34r: )

5. Zulu

(For the chant it's related to....... :lol: )

Must give an honourable mention to a great wee film that prolly won't make anyone's top 5... Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. Helluva soundtrack too. Ryuichi Sakamoto put a great shift in with that movie. B)

Flippin' 'eck! Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence with Paisley's own Tom Conti? That's a smashing film.

The main theme Forbidden Colours is a beautiful piece of music so it really got on my tits when some bastard cranked up the tempo, stuck a dance beat under, put some willowy Japanese female vocals on it and called it The Heart of Asia. The heart had been ripped oot the tune. :angry:

Anyway. Clint IS king. Where Eagles dare is good for the scene where he walks into an office dressed as an SS officer, plonks the briefcase on the desk, smiles and says "hello" to the officer behind the table then pulls out a gun and shoots him. :lol:

Another cracker is The Guns of Navarone, written, of course, by Alistair McLean.

Zulu is another good shout. In fact, that's a great shout. Aye, fúck it, that'll be there in place of Eagles.