Top 5 Books

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for those of you with long memories we've (my daughter & I) finished The Amazing Maurice which was excellent and will be starting Harry Potter VI, all 600 pages of it.

I'm reading Hard Eight, a Stephanie Plum novel, to pass away the time when I'm not working. It's a bit of a "chick" book but hey you've gotta get in touch with yer feminine side.

Just found out there is a new China Miéville novel, Iron Council. Go out and buy it now, (well wait 'til Friday) CM is the best SF author by a margin at present.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I've always wondered, Tom...?

Which one is Joy? :rolleyes:

192902[/snapback]

Oh, she's the one just out of shot crouching on the floor. You can see Steve Morris (far left) eyeing her up. :lol:

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

Just finished a real beauty called Blue Poppies by Jonathan Falla. Absolutely wonderful.

Tried Electric Brae by Andrew Greig but struggled with it and gave up a third of the way through. I'll go back to it later.

Reading Boiling A Frog at the moment. Aye, I know, I've just got round to it. Just at the bit where a high-profile unmarried Labour politician called Peter has got a vibrator stuck up his hin' end and he can neither get it out nor switch it off. Where on earth do these ideas come from, $parky? :rolleyes:

Ones on the list to read are Greenvoe by George McKay Brown, Docherty by William McIllvaney (or however you spell it), Born Free by Laura Hind plus 1421 by Gavin Menzies (about China discovering the world) and Gulag by Anne Applebaum about the horrors of Stalin's Russia.

Great stuff.

A tadge ambiguous, HH - surely you're not lamenting his passing ?

194271[/snapback]

I do apologise. What I meant was that it's a bloody shame he was lost to the world from natural causes as opposed to what the Crimes Against Humanity trial and summary execution that he deserved.

Remember Katyn, you evil, moustachioed Georgian bástard.

• 2 months later...

Just finished Harry Potter VI with No. 1 child.

Will shortly be starting the second Artemis Fowl book - The Arctic Incident.

Apparently the fillum adaptation of the first book is in limbo because of a dispute between Disney and Miramax and the child actor selected to play Artemis is now too old for the role! :huh: You're never too old for a roll! Especially with Kirsten Dunst who would be my choice to play Holly.

post-1401-1133867430_thumb.jpg

I've no read that book - is it good? Did you enjoy happy potter VI?

214835[/snapback]

HP VI - Yeah I enjoyed it. My wee girl was devasted when you know who died!

Artemis Fowl - The first book was as much about Holly (a feisty female elf) as the eponymous hero. The author focuses the AF book at the intersection of the real and magical worlds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

1. The Dice Man-Luke Rineheart.

2. The Crow Road-Iain Banks.

3. Immortality-Milan Kundera.

4. The Alchemist-Paulo Coelho.

5. The World According To Garp-John Irving.

Just outside the top five would be; Joseph Conrad-Heart of Darkness 1984-Orwell Espedair St-Iain Banks (Again) and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man-James Joyce.

I LOVE books, read so many though and have loads sitting not got through yet!

william Woodruff - road to nab end, beyond nab end and shadows of glory (not read last one)

no mean city - read a few times

any pooh by aa milne

angelas ashes, tis, a monk swimming

evelyn hood - good to read about paisley

Birdsong - still to read

A war in words - svetlana palmer and sarah wallis - great book

Early one morning - robert ryan

another street an other dance and dancing in the streets - both clifford hanley

daddys little girl - mary higgins clark - read on hols good

upon dark waters - robert radcliffe - ww2 still to read

think i better stop noo!