Top 5 Books

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a phase of non-novel reading I'm catching up on some Scottish stuff with the legendary Whisky Galore being that of choice right now followed by a James Bond tale, probably From Russia With Love.

Read a couple of football ones recently; Tor!, which is about German football, and Morbo which is about Spanish. Both excellent reads that give you a bit more insight into these two great footballing nations.

Also on the list is At the Tomg of the Inflatable Pig by John Gimlette; a "riotous journey through Paraguay". Read a bit of it before and its highly entertaining.

Oh aye, and reading this forum as well. :lol:

Off to Western Crete for my annual fortnight of lazing and reading in about 3 weeks. Here's what's in the book bag so far :

Crete by Antony Beevor - Classic account by the eminent historian of the titanic struggle for the island in WWII

Queenan Country by Joe Queenan - humourous American's eye view of Engerlund.

Unspeak by Stephen Poole - the dangers of twisting words and language.

Time & Fate by Lance Price Up to the minute political thriller by former Downing Street spinner.

The Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain - more barbs from the acid-tongued chef/author.

Heat by Bill Buford - Former Granta editor's stint in a professional kitchen.

The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins - Fascinating perspective on evolution by the master rationalist.

Edited by Bill Lees

After a phase of non-novel reading I'm catching up on some Scottish stuff with the legendary Whisky Galore being that of choice right now

I read Whisky Galore about 6 months ago and was utterly disappointed. Perhaps the romanticised B&W movie version had promised something much funnier but the novel was just dull.

I read Whisky Galore about 6 months ago and was utterly disappointed. Perhaps the romanticised B&W movie version had promised something much funnier but the novel was just dull.

Well, I'm about half way through but I can see what you mean. Although you have to bear in mind it was written when folk used to refer to going for a slash as "I'm just going to turn my bike around". :lol:

Well, I'm about half way through but I can see what you mean. Although you have to bear in mind it was written when folk used to refer to going for a slash as "I'm just going to turn my bike around". :lol:

Do they not mention going to see a man about a dog?

Bought and read three books whilst up in Paisley at the w/e/

Be Mine Enemy C Brookmyre (was sure I'd read it, but hudnae...)

An updated take on Buddie Gordon M Willimas Straw Dogs but set in Sconnie Botland! Great fun - a ripping yarn with some good polemic.

A Short History of Tractors in UkraineanK Lewicka. A one-sit, very easy read. Light fun - about a big-busted Russian woman 'exploiting' several dim men in the UK. And of one particular daughter's travails against her. All ends happy ever after - of course. :rolleyes:

My Father and other Working Class Football Heroes G Imlach . About his Father, Stewart, from Lossiemouth who played for various successful English teams including '59 cup winners Notts Forest - and Scotland '58 (and other games). A VERY INTERESTING tale of the exploitation of players in those days and just how little power they had - makes you think that every penny a player wrings out of the game now should not be grudged. (You listening, Shull...? :rolleyes: )

Also a nudge to anyone who's not ever got round to talking to their parents... they won't be round forever...

Do they not mention going to see a man about a dog?

Dunno. Havnae reached that bit yet. :blink:

A Short History of Tractors in UkraineanK Lewicka. A one-sit, very easy read. Light fun - about a big-busted Russian woman 'exploiting' several dim men in the UK. And of one particular daughter's travails against her. All ends happy ever after - of course. :rolleyes:

I got that one recently but havnae got round to reading it yet so doin't spoil it!

My Father and other Working Class Football Heroes G Imlach . About his Father, Stewart, from Lossiemouth who played for various successful English teams including '59 cup winners Notts Forest - and Scotland '58 (and other games). A VERY INTERESTING tale of the exploitation of players in those days and just how little power they had - makes you think that every penny a player wrings out of the game now should not be grudged. (You listening, Shull...? :rolleyes: )

I got told by a Forest fan you should NEVER call them "Notts" as that means Nottinghamshire as in County.

Also a nudge to anyone who's not ever got round to talking to their parents... they won't be round forever...

I talk to my mum plenty and we have a good chat. I try to talk to my dad, though, but the auld bugger never says anything back, miserable auld so-and-so.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

Clash book frenzy.........

Clash City Showdown, wanky yank website dudes that don't have a clue......

Let Fury Have the Hour, a collection of press stuff from over the years........

Riot of our Own, Johnny Green and the Baker's tales of being on the road with the Clash, a fine read..........

The Complete Clash, a reference number, a bit lightweight............

Last Gang in Town, Marcus Grays attempt at a hatchet job bringing up 'dodgy' pasts but actually has a lot of good stuff..............

Yet to read 'Passion is a Fashion' bought it in hardback when it came out, but you can buy it in HMV now for £3 in paperback........

Clash before and After, Pennie Smith's b&w photo book is still a stunning tribute to the greatest band ever to walk the face of this f**ked up planet.........

The Clash by 'Miles' typical 'Miles' pish, a glorified magazine as is 'Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg'.............

I've others but they're still in boxes from moving 9 months ago............