Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AC Doyle

Prefer poetry or short stories rather than windbag sprawling novels:

1. Black Swan - Christopher Hope

2. The Burn - James Kelman, proper Scottish writer unlike HPDS

3. The Works of Lord Byron - Lord Byron

4. The Aristos - John Fowles

5. Confessions of a Haunted House - Timothy Lea

Someone mentioned "The Dice Man" - one of the few novels I have bothered to read right through.

"Love is a snowmobile speeding across the tundra. Suddenly it flips over,

pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come." ...

Jeezo, Mr. feckin' Happy!  :blink:

185027[/snapback]

It was a quote from Nietzsche .... Made me laugh it was so miserable.... Just like the old guy I met one morning ... It was a beautiful sunny day in Inverbervie (a rare event!) and I said to him "What a beautiful morning" He just scowled and said "We will pay for it later"... Just summed up that miserable calvenistic spirit that resides deep down in all Scots! ... :D The odd thing was ... he was right it rained later on... I hope it made him happy.

Cheers

Stuart

It was a quote from Nietzsche .... Made me laugh it was so miserable....

185232[/snapback]

You sure ? I don't think there were any snowmobiles around in Nietzsche's time. I was curious about it too and Googled it. Several different returns attributed it to Matt Groening (American cartoonist, created The Simpsons).

Edited by Bill Lees

You sure ? I don't think there were any snowmobiles were around in Nietzsche time. I was curious about it too and Googled it. Several different returns attributed it to Matt Groening (American cartoonist, created The Simpsons).

185251[/snapback]

Bill,

Well that makes more sense.. the references I'd seen were to Nietzsche , but perhaps they were ironic.... maybe like the original art work on my walls "in the style of" van Gogh ... etc...

Cheers

Stuart

Classic- Old Fred Nietzsche the Fascist was more likely to have raced across the tundra in a troika.

What's astounding is that if you google for the quotation you find lots of false attributions.

Howard were you being subtle by mentioning the Simpsons- or jist lucky.

Subtle methinks.

If It sounds like the simpsons- it probably is

Clicky

Edited by Tom McB

Classic- Old Fred Nietzsche the Fascist was more likely to have raced across the tundra in a troika.

185271[/snapback]

Actually, contrary to popular opinion, Freidrich Nietzsche wasn't a fascist. His theories were distorted and his works selectively published after his death by his sister to promote her own fascist agenda. Nietzsche fell out with his long time friend Wagner due to Wagner's anti-semitic and nationalist views.

Actually, contrary to popular opinion, Freidrich Nietzsche wasn't a fascist. His theories were distorted and his works selectively published after his death by his sister to promote her own fascist agenda. Nietzsche fell out with his long time friend Wagner due to Wagner's anti-semitic and nationalist views.

185338[/snapback]

...and there was nothing he couldn't tell you about the raising of the wrist. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Third Policeman. I read it about this time last year and it baffled the fúck out of me. Was it absurdist comedy, a surreal satire, just plain daft or merely a pile of unmitigated dog jobby? :blink:

Couldnae make my mind up. So I went to the pub instead.

The Third Policeman. I read it about this time last year and it baffled the fúck out of me. Was it absurdist comedy, a surreal satire, just plain daft or merely a pile of unmitigated dog jobby? :blink:

Couldnae make my mind up. So I went to the pub instead.

188254[/snapback]

Was it absurdist comedy (yes), a surreal satire (yes), just plain daft or merely a pile of unmitigated dog jobby (very possibly - it wasn't considered good enough for publication until O'Brien died)?

Couldnae make my mind up. So I went to the pub instead (Where you'd have been most likely to bump into the author). :guinness

Edited by Bud the Baker

So I went to the pub instead (Where you'd have been most likely to bump into the author).  :guinness   

If he wisnae deid. Don't tell me you're at it now as well!!!

188300[/snapback]

I was speaking about the metaphysical pub. As de Selby says all pubs are conected to each other thru' the metaphysical pub and it is possible to enter one pub at a specific time and leave a completely different one at another time.

I know this to be true. :wacko:

Edited by Bud the Baker