What A Shambles

The boo boys have every right to be shouting the odds , an over cautious approach in a home game against a newly promoted team is a bloody disgrace . We know Gus knows his stuff when it comes to trying to stop teams scoring against us , unfortunately he hasn't got a clue at the other end of the park!

Very poor performance today. In terms of shape of the team (was there any) and tactics (were there any?), I have no idea what Gus was trying to achieve this afternoon. The absence of a creative midfielder was all too apparent, and there was no cutting edge in the final third. It could be long season.

Let's stay calm guys, it's only one game!!

What I will say is Reilly and Van Zanten shouldn't have been dropped and Maxwell and Corcoran have A LOT of work to do.

185920[/snapback]

I was only commenting on one game though it didn't inspire confidence for the rest of the season. VZ should have started today. Wasn't Maxwell being played out of position? (I didn't think he did too badly TBH) - it looked like a bit of experimentation today. We need a settled line-up.

Early days though - certainly no grounds for panic or for the ars*h*le boo-boys to start.

Absolute pish...Maxwell on the left side of midfield?...does Corcoran not play there?....Millen in the middle and Potter behind?...Van Zanten dropped?...Very defensive...No creativity at free-kicks or corners...no running into space or putting the ball into space...high balls to Keano, will they ever learn?...Kirky and his head down and charge mentality to no avail...McGowne looks past it...Millen and his long ball to no where?...What is going on?...First home game in front of a pish crowd...Does Gus really think that performances like that will entice fans back?...Very very poor and with St.Johnstone and Dundee looking good we are already chasing cause i dont see Gus changing things quickly when he still doesn't know his preferred line up....Get it sorted Gus...I want to feel like my season ticket has some value to it at least this early in the season. The fans are rightly restless. The expectations of this club should always be to aspire to the SPL and we should be able to compete and be in contention to the end of the season. Without a good start the fans wont come out and those who do will drift away. We are right to expect more and Saints should be hitting the ground running. Gus still cant decide on the squad he wants on the park for heavens sake. :angry::angry:

We never created a real chance today,very poor.Mehmets 1st touch is worse than Mixus,he's all shins and no feet.I will,of course,give him the benefit of the doubt as it's his 1st game.Big Kirk not his usual self either.A defeat next week and we've an awful lot of catching up to do.

I could murder a swally :angry:

Absolute pish...Maxwell on the left side of midfield?...does Corcoran not play there?....Millen in the middle and Potter behind?...Van Zanten dropped?...Very defensive...No creativity at free-kicks or corners...no running into space or putting the ball into space...high balls to Keano, will they ever learn?...Kirky and his head down and charge mentality to no avail...McGowne looks past it...Millen and his long ball to no where?...What is going on?...First home game in front of a pish crowd...Does Gus really think that performances like that will entice fans back?...Very very poor and with St.Johnstone and Dundee looking good we are already chasing cause i dont see Gus changing things quickly when he still doesn't know his preferred line up....Get it sorted Gus...I want to feel like my season ticket has some value to it at least this early in the season. The fans are rightly restless. The expectations of this club should always be to aspire to the SPL and we should be able to compete and be in contention to the end of the season. Without a good start the fans wont come out and those who do will drift away. We are right to expect more and Saints should be hitting the ground running. Gus still cant decide on the squad he wants on the park for heavens sake. :angry:  :angry:

185924[/snapback]

wouldn't disagree with most of that. Playing Andy Millen in the middle smacks of desperation. Is Gus looking at midfileders? Let's hope so. In the meantime, why doesn't he play McGinty in midfield with Millen at the back where he belongs? Not ideal but would have made more sense I'd have thought. Millen's passing is not good enough for a role in the middle of the park. Corcoran looked off the pace - I'm a bit worried about his fitness though if he isn't fit he shouldn't have played.

I was surprised to see Mehmet on from the start - a bit too much pressure on the lad just returning from injury and making his Saints debut IMO. He should have been brought on with half an hour to go though to replace who God knows!

Why the fek did we not hold on to Allan Russell?!

Edited by Drew

I've been moaning here for weeks that we've no cover in midfield and (if I say it myself) I was thoroughly vindicated today.

Neither Millen nor Broadfoot are up to the task out of position and, into the bargain, moving them potentially disrupts the defence. The really annoying thing is that we already knew that before today but Gus appears to have failed to absorb that information.

Mehmet is clearly some way from being match sharp or match fit but he's just about the only player who is exempt from blame for todays debacle.

In the whole ninety minutes their goalie did not have to make a proper save. We could still be playing now and not have scored.

And if Gus thinks that Reid is a better option than Van Zanten at right back then he clearly sees something that's being missed by the whole of the North Bank.

A lot of the trouble seems to stem from the fact that half the players, bizarrely, are left sided.

We had 4 players who could play left wing back or left midfield in the team from the start today, and technically, a sweeper, a right midfielder and a left midfielder in the centre midfield.

We need 2 good proper midfielders, a ball winner, and a creative midfielder, before we can even think about winning the league.

Andy Millen was truly atrocious today in midfiled, absolutely abysmal. How he made a career out of playing in midfiled when he is unable to pass a ball any better than Hinchy is beyond me.

McGinty looked sharp when he came on though, and I thought Mehmet did pretty well, some nice turns and flicks, though the game probably came too soon for him.

Terrible stuff overall though, absolutely miserable.

we never have any tactics, its always a hump and 9 times out of 10 its am aimless hump, at least put the ball into the f**king corners!!!

we play nice football until we get into the opponents half. then we punt the ball for their defenders to head away.

we did it against morton, forfar, dundee and again today - its a joke. why dont we try and pass the ball

We had a bad day. I think Gus made too many changes - and probably rushed Mehmet in too quickly as I thought he looked well off the pace.

We played much much better last week than this - however we also just never got the break today that would have given us that all important goal.

Stranraer came for a point - and they got it. Nearly got all three near the end too.

It's early days. Stay cool.

Once again Lappin was on the park masquerading as a football player.. all tan and no talent..thought Mehmet was ok..i think we have a lot of work to do..though i think Stranraers game plan was to get the draw.Very frustrating game today.

185948[/snapback]

There game was to frustrate. That was clear to see the way they packed the box when we had a corner or free-kick, but we had no answer and Gus knows that teams will do this. He will no doubt make reference to this in his post match analysis. Will he tell us that sticking Alan Reid and Keano in the box surrounded by 6 defenders will work while Lappin and Millen loft balls into the sky for them?...very basic errors....small guys in box need balls to their feet or crosses whipped in from the by line or put in with pace...schoolboy errors :angry:

It's not if we get beat next week :angry:

185952[/snapback]

3 games out of a 36 game season is still early days my friend.

Falkirk last season lost 2-0 against us on week 1, drew 1-1 with Hamilton at home on week 2. Won the league by March.

We'll not play as badly next week as we did today.

So midfield and striking still not resolved. Today was shambolic and clearly there has to be questions about what the feck Gus and Andy have been doing during the close season. This performance smacked of the Coughlan days when noone seemed to know what was expected of them and players being played way out of position.

I think Gus is being found out tactically - he got away with it last season - so it will be interesting to see how he shapes the team over the next few weeks. It will have to happen or we may find ourselves scrapping around the middle of the table rather than near the top. I have seen this whole issue over and over again at LS and Gus need to have a settled team that play together rather than all the changes he made from last week's team.

I hope you are right Div. I still think we should have resolved our midfield and striker issues when we lost virtually our whole midfield from last season and 2 strikers - Russell and Mixu. The squad is not strong enough in those two areas to challenge and be consistent. The tactics with the long ball if totally baffling to me as it did not work last season yet Gus persisted with it and again, it won't work unless you have a clear ball winner in the box and someone clever enough to take on the knock downs - ala Yards and Basher/McGarry. These guys have never been replaced although I think Keano is a good buy but he needs service.