What A Shambles

What a load of old bollocks this is about playing with five central defenders in the team. Andy Millen made a career out of playing in the middle of the park and was clearly put there to do the role that Mavis usually does.

Reilly was injured, Millen deputised in his position. Potter moved to fill Millens role.

Broadfoot and McGowne are absolute stalwarts of the side.

Maxwell is a left sided player who can fill a number of roles, hence why I believe he was brought to the club.

David Van Zanten was clearly not fit enough to start, hence Alan Reid covered right side and Maxwell slotted in on the left.

If Kirk Broadfoot had played midfield I bet nobody would have said "oh crap, there's a central defender playing out of position".

None of the players we released were any good except Alan Russell - the rest were all pish who added nothing to the squad. We are much better off this season than we were last term.

When we add two more players in to the squad we'll be good enough to win the league and I remain utterly confident that we will.

186316[/snapback]

Rubbish

Maxwell is a big stiffy suitable only as a wheelie bin in defence.

Potter potters about clueless.

Millen doesn't have the fitness for midfield and how he made a career out of it is beyond me for his distribution is appalling.

I would have said Broadfoot is no good in the middle of the park either.

McGowne is another wheelie bin..not for running up and down the wing at his old age...he can run up but he cant get back without his bus pass.

Ricky was dynamic.

Crilly had flair and the ability to pass.

Ellis could run up and down the wing all day and swing some good crosses in.

Russell was erratic, sometimes lazy but gave us options.

In my opinion we were a better squad last season than this. :wink:

Rubbish

Maxwell is a big stiffy suitable only as a wheelie bin in defence.

Potter potters about clueless.

Millen doesn't have the fitness for midfield and how he made a career out of it is beyond me for his distribution is appalling.

I would have said Broadfoot is no good in the middle of the park either.

McGowne is another wheelie bin..not for running up and down the wing at his old age...he can run up but he cant get back without his bus pass.

Ricky was dynamic.

Crilly had flair and the ability to pass.

Ellis could run up and down the wing all day and swing some good crosses in.

Russell was erratic, sometimes lazy but gave us options.

In my opinion we were a better squad last season than this. :wink:

186323[/snapback]

Im sorry to say but i agree except about harry potter i think he,ll do well for us :ph34r:

None of the players we released were any good except Alan Russell - the rest were all pish who added nothing to the squad. We are much better off this season than we were last term.

186316[/snapback]

O'Neill was our top goalscorer last season, I think, despite not getting picked much after February.

Gillies was a skillful player altho' he never really seemed to shine in GM's formation.

Ellis would have been a close call, good player but seemed to be injury prone.

Either Gillies or O'Neill should have been kept in my opinion, probably O'Neill.

CS is right on the five defenders, on Ellis and on O'Neill. (drat.)

My mate that sits next to me was going on about an attacking midfielder and He's right we need one. Has Murray had all his attacking instincts brainwashed away by playing beside Reilly? I remember when Shug was a box to box player and when he scored goals. (so did Lappin for that matter)

Again, can I ask if any of the centre halfs playing can score a goal with his head and if not, can MacPherson not get the feckers in on the afternoons to practice headers knock downs and the like.

McGinty's entrance to the game was the only attacking sparkle in that side and goodness knows how much abuse the goat gets, but at least he was getting behind and into the ranks of the stranraer defence.

CS is right on the five defenders, on Ellis and on O'Neill. (drat.)

My mate that sits next to me was going on about an attacking midfielder and He's right we need one. Has Murray had all his attacking instincts brainwashed away by playing beside Reilly? I remember when Shug was a box to box player and when he scored goals. (so did Lappin for that matter)

Again, can I ask if any of the centre halfs playing can score a goal with his head and if not, can MacPherson not get the feckers in on the afternoons to practice headers knock downs and the like.

McGinty's entrance to the game was the only attacking sparkle in that side and goodness knows how much abuse the goat gets, but at least he was getting behind and into the ranks of the stranraer defence.

186328[/snapback]

Have to agree with Chico's point about players coming back in the afternoon. Not sure if we do that or still adopt a part-time atttitude, in at 10, away by 1 and off 2 play golf or home to watch the early edition of neighbours. If i did that, dont think i'd b in a job 4 long. In particular, we should have the entire midfield in learning how to pass and cross the ball, especially corcoran, who looks like a player if he can get his delivery right. I think the squad we have has potential, but a number of players just need 2 work harder at improving.

I'm not one for criticising Gus. He's made great strides compared with the shambles of the late Coughlin period.

BUT

If Div's right and both Reilly and DVZ were injured on Saturday, is it not something of an indictment of our signing policy that the only alternatives available in either position were central defenders. Indeed if Mehmet or Kean hadn't been fit then the only senior pros available to play up front would have been central defenders while the fact that the only option at the last substitution against a team hanging on for dear life with 11 men behind the ball was to swap one right back for another borders on the farcical.

I know we've lost out on some signings through no fault of our own but we need more options in midfield and an additional striker or this season is going nowhere.

I'm not one for criticising Gus. He's made great strides compared with the shambles of the late Coughlin period.

Your right Unworried. I'm more than hopeful things will turnaround.

Lets see what the Captain and co have to say then <_<

If Div's right and both Reilly and DVZ were injured on Saturday, is it not something of an indictment of our signing policy that the only alternatives available in either position were central defenders. Indeed if Mehmet or Kean hadn't been fit then the only senior pros available to play up front would have been central defenders while the fact that the only option at the last substitution against a team hanging on for dear life with 11 men behind the ball was to swap one right back for another borders on the farcical.

I was not at the game on Saturday so I will not coment on it However I will back Gus , Gus is working under a real financial burden. He has been trying to find an all out attacking midfield player and striker who will play for a club with one of the lowest salaries in the first division. Gus will get it right What he has said is that a player will not come in who is not better than what we have. We will make a challenge this season. What our team and club need is backing at this time. Confidence in a team can go a long way.

There are so many two faced posters on this board it is unbelievable.

I'll be bookmarking this thread and casting it up throughout the season.

Never read so much pish in my whole life.

Roll on Saturday, I trust the team and the management will ram a few choice words down some so called supporters throats :D

Roll on Saturday, I trust the team and the management will ram a few choice words down some so called supporters throats  :D

186437[/snapback]

That's unfair. The Captain obviously feels that John O'Neill is an outstanding left wing back and Ricky a great hard tackling defensive midfield player. Or possibly the other way round. Now that's worth bookmarking. :P

It's fair enough to criticise Gus for Saturday, I think he got his team selection and tactics wrong, and we dropped points. But it's behind us now, one bad game is just that - ONE bad game, and he has shown enough that I still have faith in him to have us up there challenging. He has said himself he wants to bring in a couple more attacking players.

We've had a poor start but it's early and we'll soon be back on track, hopefully starting with humping the cardboard farmers in Perth. Preferably with some more KB showboating. :D

Edited by Colin M

Guest Captain Sensible
That's unfair.  The Captain obviously feels that John O'Neill is an outstanding left wing back and Ricky a great hard tackling defensive midfield player.  Or possibly the other way round.  Now that's worth bookmarking.   :P

186439[/snapback]

Roll on Saturday, I trust the team and the management will ram a few choice words down some so called supporters throats :D

Well we had a decent left wing back in Laurie Ellis - but Gus freed him as well. :rolleyes:

And from Gus' Monday quotes today he is on about how he is after at least another striker and / or a forwrad going midfielder. Yet he freed John O'neill (our top goalscorer) and Ricky Gillies (top goalscorer over the previous 4 years).

Gus also insisted on playing McGinty all last season and then giving him a 2 year contract and didn't give Russell a run until late on and then only offered him 1 year. He got that one the wrong way round.

I'm quite happy to be labelled "2 faced". I'll be over the moon if we beat St. Johnstone on Saturday.

But the fact that Gus Macpherson got us 2nd place last season doesn't mean that no-one should be allowed to criticise him.

It's not that long ago that certain folk on here were calling for Tom Hendrie to be sacked less than a year after he'd given us the 2 highest league finishes in over a decade and led us to a national cup semi-final....... and now they get all annoyed when folk dare to criticise Macpherson..........

That really is two faced. :P

Edited by Captain Sensible

Tom Hendrie also nearly managed to lead us to Division Two the season before he was fired, and had just shipped nine goals at home in two games against Queen of the South and Inverness Caley.

He had a whole season to arrest our problems, and failed to do so.

Gus is a far better manager than Tom Hendrie, and will lead us back to the SPL where he will also manage to keep us there.

Guest Captain Sensible
Tom Hendrie also nearly managed to lead us to Division Two the season before he was fired, and had just shipped nine goals at home in two games against Queen of the South and Inverness Caley.

He had a whole season to arrest our problems, and failed to do so.

Gus is a far better manager than Tom Hendrie, and will lead us back to the SPL where he will also manage to keep us there.

186475[/snapback]

Your last sentence may well be right. And I am in no way calling for Gus to be sacked. I was highly critical of Hendrie before he was sacked - but was against his sacking.

Just pointing out that criticising Gus Macpherson is allowed and doing so does not make you 2 faced. :rolleyes::P

Just pointing out that criticising Gus Macpherson is allowed and doing so does not make you 2 faced.  :rolleyes:  :P

186485[/snapback]

Criticising Gus is of course permitted - everyone has an opinion.

My view is that he is of course not beyond criticism, but some people would have him hung for one game - a game we didn't even lose FFS !

I'm super confident we will perform well on Saturday and I think we will win.

Gus and Andy's black and white army :D !

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion ....... some are more opinionated than others.

Gus got it wrong on Saturday in team selection and tactics but unfortunately was not capable of admitting it

The players got it wrong on Saturday with their poor attitude and impression that Stranraer are only a part-time 2nd Division side (Forfar ???)

I think we will see a better performance at Perth although not convinced we will win it as I don't see where the goals are coming from as our midfield couldn't create a piss up in a brewery.

All of us seem to think that Kirk is the answer and I agree he is one of our better players but he is a defender and although not wishing to stifle any attacking tendencies that he has that is what he is best at....... any news on his injury ?????

We need to lose the defensive tendencies that are rife throughout the team and show more pace, zip and appetite. We need to get wide and if crossing in the air at least get it past the first man although I would advocate byeline and cut it back .... the hardest ball in football to defend against and you don't need giant forwards

It is still early in the season and if we can get the signings that Gus is after then we can push very close

Gus is still learning his trade as a manager and was never the most attack minded during his playing days so would suggest that he is starting his managerial career along the same lines

Let's give him and the team the support we are known for and cheer them to a win on Saturday and next Wednesday and make my life in the city of Perth even more enjoyable

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion ....... some are more opinionated than others.

Gus got it wrong on Saturday in team selection and tactics but unfortunately was not capable of admitting it

The players got it wrong on Saturday with their poor attitude and impression that Stranraer are only a part-time 2nd Division side (Forfar ???)

I think we will see a better performance at Perth although not convinced we will win it as I don't see where the goals are coming from as our midfield couldn't create a piss up in a brewery.

All of us seem to think that Kirk is the answer and I agree he is one of our better players but he is a defender and although not wishing to stifle any attacking tendencies that he has that is what he is best at....... any news on his injury ?????

We need to lose the defensive tendencies that are rife throughout the team and show more pace, zip and appetite. We need to get wide and if crossing in the air at least get it past the first man although I would advocate byeline and cut it back .... the hardest ball in football to defend against and you don't need giant forwards

It is still early in the season and if we can get the signings that Gus is after then we can push very close

Gus is still learning his trade as a manager and was never the most attack minded during his playing days so would suggest that he is starting his managerial career along the same lines

Let's give him and the team the support we are known for and cheer them to a win on Saturday and next Wednesday and make my life in the city of Perth even more enjoyable

186493[/snapback]

more enjoyable drink in brennans or sandemans or capitol asset or that bar, good night oot in perth :cheers:cheers

Good post from Perth Buddy, my exact sentiments.

I'm not anywhere on the list of those calling for action on Gus or his management team, however whilst he has one thing clearly established and that is a solid defensive approach, the problem is that the next part of the process seems to be missing.

Creative midfield, crossing wingers / wing backs and a couple of players who can put the ball in the net. I'm not talking about someone who needs to be flashy, tricky or skillful, but someone who knows how to stick the ball in the goal when offered the chance.

Think back to some good times, Doug Somner, Frank McDougall, Eddie Gallagher, even Mark Yardley, not particularly skillful but capable of finding the net when offered the chance. In saying this, some of these strikers had good crossers of the ball on the park and maybe that is where we should concentrate our efforts on the basis that the more you get into the box, the more Kean and however plays with him will get a chance to show their skills.