Help!

Reidy1987

My PC keeps randomly rebooting itself. No blue screen of death or messages, it just shuts itself down and reboots. My anti-virus and firewall definitions are up to date so I don't suspect a virus or hack. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 and it's up to date as well. Any suggestions?

My PC keeps randomly rebooting itself. No blue screen of death or messages, it just shuts itself down and reboots. My anti-virus and firewall definitions are up to date so I don't suspect a virus or hack. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 and it's up to date as well. Any suggestions?

Reidy, i read a story on bbc last week that microsoft released a new service pack that tries to verify if your version of windows xp is pukka and it needs a code typed in or sumthing to satisfy it as otherwise it'll keep doing what you've described.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5144698.stm was the article.

Reidy, i read a story on bbc last week that microsoft released a new service pack that tries to verify if your version of windows xp is pukka and it needs a code typed in or sumthing to satisfy it as otherwise it'll keep doing what you've described.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5144698.stm was the article.

Just checked the article and it doesn't seem to be the same symptoms. This is just a case of my PC re-booting itself with no warning or messages. I don't think the WGA thingie causes your PC to reboot...

Do you get system messages coming up?

Check your power settings, which can be accessed through control panel - power options see what power scheme you are on.