Wireless Internet

Hollz

Okay. At the moment I have a PC in the upstairs study, it is connected to Broadband through a cable which goes up the stairs from the socket downstairs.

In the near future, I may also be getting a laptop.

My dad wants both pc and laptop to be wireless, but neither of us have a clue how to do this. How does it work? What will you need? Can it be done?

Anyone help?

Hollz,

You need to get a broadband wireless router, like the DLINK DSL-G604T, your laptop will have a built in wireless receiver. You might have to get a PCi Wireless card or a USB wireless receiver for the Desktop.

The DLINK is very easy to set up, you simply connect a cable from your broadband into the Router and then configure it. The router also has standard ethernet ports which you can connect a PC to, you will get better performance using direct network cable connection than using wireless. I'd STRONGLY reccomend encrypting your connections using WEP as this will stop others getting free and easy access to your internet connection.

The manual is well written so if you are at all PC savvy you will have no problems.

I've installed loads of these DLINKS and had no issues with them at all.

Good luck

Stuart

it's a doofer called airport express and is a wee thing that you plug into a wall socket with your usb printer cable and ethernet from your broadband modem.

have a look think it's about £80, but it works for PC's too and can take up to 10 Pc's