Broadband Mysteries

Bill Lees

Since I've had my broadband connection, I often leave my machine on overnight with the monitor switched off ( I have two firewalls, up-to-date Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Anti-Spam running). Invariably in the morning, some applications seem spontaneously to have started themselves - usually Windows Explorer, Outlook, Real Player. Sometimes the machine has even powered itself down.

Virus scans reveal no infections, spyware, or such like, and things seem to be running as fast as ever. Anybody know what is going on? Is it acned f**kwits attempting to hack their way into my system? Why are these applications starting up themselves? Would it be better to turn the damned machine off overnight?

Answers on the usual virtual postcard please......

Would it be better to turn the damned machine off overnight?

If only to save the planet with wasted energy... yawn.....

Or your pocket with vanishing dosh...

Do you brush your teeth and leave the tap running AND then let the tap run all night? I've never understood why folk leave tvs or computers other elecktrickery gear on all the time. It is a cost.

And it's an unecessary added fire hazard - despite all the chat about equipment being safer than in the olden days. If you - or a cheap diddy - wired up the house, plugs or any other connection it's as safe as you might believe that could be...

And the tap analogy holds true, whether you're on a meter for water or not. Do you think it's sane to leave taps running all the time? :blink:

Of course, this does not begin to solve the mystery of the computer.

Unless..

...when you first set it up, there's often the option to have various tests and other bits checked out. Mostly the default is for that to be an overnight task. I'd bet that's what is kicking in and shaking up what you think is your stable system...

And the powering down would be part of that - sleeper option...

Me, too.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz