Dvd Help

Reidy1987

Can anyone help with a problem with my DVD-RW drive? I can use it just fine to play DVDs, but whenever I insert a blank DVD to record, the drive identifies itself as a CD-RW and refuses to do anything. It works fine burning CDs.

I've looked around to see if I'm maybe missing a driver. I even uninstalled the device and let Windows XP discover it and re-install the driver.

The drive came with the PC and no driver disk was included that I could see.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

Thanks!

Can anyone help with a problem with my DVD-RW drive? I can use it just fine to play DVDs, but whenever I insert a blank DVD to record, the drive identifies itself as a CD-RW and refuses to do anything. It works fine burning CDs.

I've looked around to see if I'm maybe missing a driver. I even uninstalled the device and let Windows XP discover it and re-install the driver.

Thanks!

246680[/snapback]

Dunno if ye've tried this Reidy....but go into my computer...right click the drive select properties and have a look at the recording tab.Not sure of the selection options in it but there should probably be an option for you to specify that you want to make default as DVD recorder or words to that effect.Have a look anyway.

Best I can do I'm afraid!

Dunno if ye've tried this Reidy....but go into my computer...right click the drive select properties and have a look at the recording tab.Not sure of the selection options in it but there should probably be an option for you to specify that you want to make default as DVD recorder or words to that effect.Have a look anyway.

Best I can do I'm afraid!

246701[/snapback]

Nope, it only says "Enable CD recording on this drive".

Thanks!

246680[/snapback]

I had the same problem and after much research I discovered that it was because I had upgraded from Windows XP Home Edition to Pro.

My PC is a Packard Bell, so what packard bell do is a thing called Tatoo your dvd rw device so that it can only work with the oem software they provided (xp home edition), in other words if you upgrade your pc to a new specification other than the factory set one, you have to get a new dvd rewriter. That is the position I am in, I can only re write to cds because I have upgraded to windows xp pro.

I don't know if you are in the same position, but what you should do is go to your pc manufacturers website forum and this fault should be covered.

I have tried allsorts, re flashing the drive, different re writing software etc... but nothing works, I just have to upgrade my dvd rewriter.

I had the same problem and after much research I discovered that it was because I had upgraded from Windows XP Home Edition to Pro.

My PC is a Packard Bell, so what packard bell do is a thing called Tatoo your dvd rw device so that it can only work with the oem software they provided (xp home edition), in other words if you upgrade your pc to a new specification other than the factory set one, you have to get a new dvd rewriter.  That is the position I am in, I can only re write to cds because I have upgraded to windows xp pro.

I don't know if you are in the same position, but what you should do is go to your pc manufacturers website forum and this fault should be covered.

I have tried allsorts, re flashing the drive, different re writing software etc...  but nothing works, I just have to upgrade my dvd rewriter.

246806[/snapback]

That's a bit of a pisser Joe! :(

Having to the shell out more dosh to get the thing to work.Bloody Computers. :angry:

That's a bit of a pisser Joe!  :(

Having to the shell out more dosh to get the thing to work.Bloody Computers. :angry:

246810[/snapback]

Aye, the last time I bye a feckin packard bell pc.

Their helpline is £1.50 a minute aswell, they should be wearing feckin masks mad.gif

My PC is a Packard Bell, so what packard bell do is a thing called Tatoo your dvd rw device so that it can only work with the oem software they provided (xp home edition), in other words if you upgrade your pc to a new specification other than the factory set one, you have to get a new dvd rewriter.  That is the position I am in, I can only re write to cds because I have upgraded to windows xp pro.

I have tried allsorts, re flashing the drive, different re writing software etc...  but nothing works, I just have to upgrade my dvd rewriter.

246806[/snapback]

Joe, thanks for that. I didn't upgrade but I did have to reinstall everything at one point and it's since then I've had the problem. Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. :(

Joe, thanks for that. I didn't upgrade but I did have to reinstall everything at one point and it's since then I've had the problem. Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head. :(

246837[/snapback]

What a lot of pc sellers do these days is give you imaging software pre installed on the pc so that when you first use it you take a 'factory' image of the pc and burn it to disks.

Then if you hit problems you can just re image the pc which formats the hard drive and installs everything that came pre installed on to the pc from the manufacturer.

So if you have just re formatted the hard drive and re installed the basic operating system then you MAY have the same problem as me.

But I would check out your pc manufacturers website as most of them have forums that cover these faults, that is how I found out about mine.

What a lot of pc sellers do these days is give you imaging software pre installed on the pc so that when you first use it you take a 'factory' image of the pc and burn it to disks.

Then if you hit problems you can just re image the pc which formats the hard drive and installs everything that came pre installed on to  the pc from the manufacturer.

So if you have just re formatted the hard drive and re installed the basic  operating system then you MAY have the same problem as me.

But I would check out your pc manufacturers website as most of them have forums that cover these faults, that is how I found out about mine.

246848[/snapback]

Thanks again Joe. Could be a wee bit difficult though since I got the fecker from a bloke in Campbeltown :blink: