Double Hard Dive

whosyirdaddy

Ive got a Vaio © drive and a Vaio (D) drive

is it possible to make them into the one hard drive .............

Reason I ask is because my laptop is set to save (I think) on the C Driver and I keep getting memory full sorta thing............

So Im just trying to get the 2 to go together as one :unsure:

I had a 2nd hard drive but needed the C drive replaced, which Bitchface's brother in law done for me......................

I never even noticed until you mentioned this , the bastard's blagged the 2nd one..........................

He'll be getting a call tomorrow.......................

I had a 2nd hard drive but needed the C drive replaced, which Bitchface's brother in law done for me......................

I never even noticed until you mentioned this , the bastard's blagged the 2nd one..........................

He'll be getting a call tomorrow.......................

Im not talking about my external HD bud......... It appears there is a C drive and a D drive on this fecker and Im sure you can compress them (if thats the correct term :unsure: ) together

Im not talking about my external HD bud......... It appears there is a C drive and a D drive on this fecker and Im sure you can compress them (if thats the correct term :unsure: ) together

Yeah, I know....................

Right click on large files/programs in the c drive and then 'send to' and select the d drive...............

Yeah, I know....................

Right click on large files/programs in the c drive and then 'send to' and select the d drive...............

I done that and moved everything into External.........

Never had the prob before but Im downloading about 5 fils at 1.5GB to 3.00GB each and I think that obviously could be taking up memory (invisible sense) even though not full downloaded........

Hence the reason I trying to get both slapped together :unsure:

I keep getting memory full sorta thing............

Please read the whole thing before trying anything.

It may be your "short term memory" that's lacking.

Clearing out your temporary internet files may help.

If you are confident using your filing system right click on start, go to Explore, and find in the C drive the folder within Documents and Settings then within User then within Local Settings that is called Temporary Internet Files. Another way of saying that is

"C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

Open that and see how much you have stored.

You could select all of them and delete OR

the simple way to delete them regularly is to right click on your browser icon, click on Internet Properties, it should open on General tab with Temporary Internet Files being the middle section. Click on delete files. Click on ok.

If you are unsure about mucking about within the filing system, don't do it. Get help.

Spyware may also be using your system if you have nothing in place to stop it.

If you don't, then scroll down the list until you find the Free Minimum Security Measures thread by SMFCOK.

yeah

they usually partition your main drive so leave space for you operateing system

its a cheap way so they dont have to give you a windows disc

you can convert it to just one drive

but that involves deleteing it in dos or formatting your main drive deleteing the partition when you install windows again .

Think this is similar to what I want to do Murdo

i know i didnt understand why the topic went on to spyware

Anyway

open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

Go to disc management

from there you can manage your 2 partitions into one

problem solved

If you have one single physical disk in your machine then you can of course reformat the disk to become one partition or you can resize the existing two partitions in disk manager or you can simply compress either of the existing partitions to create more space at the expense of disk access speed.

Memory should not be confused with storage - they are two completely separate things. You have a storage issue if you have no room to keep big files - you have a memory issue if programs or applications are running very slowly. If you run out of physical memory the computer will use the disk for temporary memory intensive operations using what is called a paging file - this can take up a fair chunk of disk.

My advice anyway is always to keep your machine split into two paritions.

This allows you to use C: for your operating system and program files only and to store all your personal data on the D:.

This then means that if you ever want to reinstall your Operating System or to install a new one (Vista for example which comes out start of 2007 maybe) then you can simply install it straight into the C: blitzing it completely and leaving all your data completely untouched in the D: so no need to backup and restore (although of course you should always back up your disk based files to external storage if they are valuable to you).

Here to help :)