Top Five Gigs

Herbie

Doh! What an idiot, should've read the thread title carefully!

Gigs I wish I'd seen.

The Clash - Combat Rock, was going but Joe Stummer went walkabout.

Led Zeppelin - BBC In Concert (1970) where they played material from Zep IV for the first time live, a few months before the album was released. When you hear Stairway, then then gap after it finishes and the audience realise they've just what they've heard. Sublime, what a moment. I've got the gig on CD.

Bowie - Hammersmith '73 when he disbands the Spiders and retires.

The Beatles - Jan '69; The Rooftop Gig. "Thank you, and I hope we passed the audition."

Woodstock '69 - Just imagine me'n'Homer groovin' to ShaNaNa!

Question when the lead singer left the Beat what did the band change there name to ?

See below.

Fine Young Cannibals

194647[/snapback]

Ah, not strictly true, LS. It was the gutarists Andy Cox and Dave Steele from The Beat that formed the FYC with Roland Gift.

However, I have a compilation Best Of in the house and they were indeed a fine band, with stuff like Best Friend, Too Nice To Talk To (or as a friend of mine renamed it Too Nice To Shit On), Mirror In The Bathroom and Stand Down Margaret. Quite unique as well; six guys, three black, three white and ages ranging from Rankin' Roger in his teens to Saxa who was in his 50s.

Despite a lot of racial tension at the time and riots in Brixton and Toxteh there were a number of bands that were multi-racial, ie The Beat, Specials, UB40, Selector to name but a few. And theyall did overtly political stuff and in particular anti-government.

You look at things today and wonder where that is. A band name themselves after the dignitary whose assassination kick started the First World War yet they aren't political is justtaking the piss.

Ah, not strictly true, LS. It was the gutarists Andy Cox and Dave Steele from The Beat that formed the FYC with Roland Gift.

However, I have a compilation Best Of in the house and they were indeed a fine band, with stuff like Best Friend, Too Nice To Talk To (or as a friend of mine renamed it Too Nice To Shit On), Mirror In The Bathroom and Stand Down Margaret. Quite unique as well; six guys, three black, three white and ages ranging from Rankin' Roger in his teens to Saxa who was in his 50s.

Your all their and a bit Howard. The Beat did have a sound that was a littile diffrent for the time. I also remember the Police were on TOTP'S and Sting had a Beat T-shirt on.

By the way got draged up to Langs after the Clyde game. For sure we will have another time , im interested in your adventures and have yet to hear them at length :)

Also saw Robert Plant do a version of Mirror in the Bathroom at Newcastle Playhouse about 90/91. An odd combination but it worked, maybe the fact that Planty is a Brummie himself helped!

what an interesting combination Plant and Mirror In The Bathroom which is a classic song in it's own right especially when Mr Plant gives the song recognition.

I see Plant is in Glasgow soon, was it a good rock-and-roll night ?

This years incarnation of Dead Men Walking is Mike Peters, Captain Sensible, Slim Jim Phantom and Kirk Brandon.............

Bruce Watson is also with them for the Glasgow Gig on 2nd October.........

Those who have also served...............

Pete Wylie, Glen Matlock,Billy Duffyand the afore mentioned Bruce Watson..........................

Yeah. I'd recommend going to see Plant as IMO he's a great live performer. The new Album - Mighty Rearanger - is pretty good. Rocky (sic) with the occasional nod to Plant's eastern fixation.

Just had a wee look what night Plant is playing, Sat 29th Oct ( sold out )

Not too botherd as me and the good wife have tickets for the NME gig with the Kaiser Chiefs , Maximo Park, The Cribs which should be good fun as I like all three bands add the fact it's a Saturday night when Saints are at Love st should make for a great day out :D:D