Formating A Computer

paisleybuds

I bought myself a laptop before Christmas as my computer was not the greatest and I wanted to clear some space in my room.

However I'm going to either give the computer away or try get a few quid for it but I need to wipe it as I've got so much crap on it! I've had it for 5 years. One problem is I don't have a Windows XP disk, how would I go about wiping it all and starting again.

Cheers in advance. :)

I have just 're-instated' my computer to it's original bought condition following a few problems

If, like mine, the computer was bought with pre-installed XP software from PC World then there should be a load of stuff hidden on your computer which can be accessed for re-instating the computer to original condition. PC World were asking £40 quid for backing up all my existing files and then carrying out the following:

Back up any files that you want to keep onto a DVD or other external device

On starting up continuously tap the F11 key. A screen will then appear asking if you want to do a System Restore or a Hard Disk Restoration. Choose the Hard Disk Restoration. You are then asked if you want make a restoration keeping your data files or a full restoration which will remove all of the crap but revert to the originally installed software programmes

May be worth trying to see if it works for you

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to 'format' your hard-drive then there will be nothing left on it at all and you will need to buy and install a version of windows if you want to pass the pc on as a going concern. If you just want to clear up all you personal files then try something like ccleaner and then use add/remove prgrams in windows control panel to take off any programs you don't want left on it. Hope this helps.

Edited by Supergrass