H. P. Lovecraft

Bud the Baker

Got my copy of the illustrated, hardback complete set of his writings today. shuriken.gifpunk.gif .

Cult sci/fi/fantasy/horror novelist that I initially discovered through a Black Sabbath homage on their debut album - I've read some of his work and am looking forward with interest (and a bit of dread) to reading the remainder of his work.

Like all true artists he died unacclaimed in penury but is cited as an influence by many modern authors - Clive Barker, Steven King & Neil Gaiman to name but three as well as being a major influence on Robert E. Howard (Conan the Barbarian).

A product of his times (1890-1937) his views on race don't chime with an enlightened 21st century audience and from what I've read so far it'd probably be difficult to adapt his works for a modern audience while staying true to the original text.

Oddly enough Lovecraft's complete works is not much bigger than Book 5 of the Harry Potter series (The Order of The Pheonix) that's the one where I finally packed it in and left reading it to my partner and daughter but I know which one I think has more artistic merit - well variety anyway.

Thanks eastlandssaint obviously the IMDB list shows just how much he's in vogue at present but like I said they don't all seem to be true to the original text......

MV5BMTUxNTg3ODM1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDQy

Seems a bit camp to me, still that's part of the beauty of art/culture taking the bones of another persons idea and transforming it into your own story and I suppose cross-pollination was an idea that the man himself supported.