Giro d'Italia

Apparently race organizers are paying SKY 2Million Euros for Froome to race having made the offer shortly after the Vuelta unaware of the Salbutamol scandal to follow.

You have to wonder if Froome can handle the pressure, like he said 37 seconds isn't a big deal in a three week race but he usually does better in Prologs and even if not in the lead is usually the best placed of the GC candidates.  

Edited by Bud the Baker

11 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Apparently race organizers are paying SKY 2Million Euros for Froome to race having made the offer shortly after the Vuelta unaware of the Salbutamol scandal to follow.

You have to wonder if Froome can handle the pressure, like he said 37 seconds isn't a big deal in a three week race but he usually does better in Prologs and even if not in the lead is usually the best placed of the GC candidates.  

Indeedily doodly - first stage after the rest day which didn't look a killer & Froome loses 21 secs on his rivals.

Simon Yates just missed out on a time bonus.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Indeedily doodly - first stage after the rest day which didn't look a killer & Froome loses 21 secs on his rivals.

I don't know that it is pressure , BtB. He may be holding back for the Tour now , even though it was initially thought that he would want to bag the Giro so that he could have the 3 Grand Tours in the bag. I think he is a rider that peaks later than June so probably not going to do much on the Giro as he has always been better at the Vuelta. There was also a hold up today close to the last kilometre , so maybe too early to write the guy off yet. .

On 07/05/2018 at 1:31 PM, cockles1987 said:

I know it's not the Giro, but how lucky was this guy. emoji106.png

Tour de Yorkshire marshal: 'How did car miss me?' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-44029144

Yeah , being a marshal is a bit of thankless task and is nearly always voluntary. The reason the driver missed him is only because the Marshal jumped out of the way , no other reason. .

28 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I don't know that it is pressure , BtB. He may be holding back for the Tour now , even though it was initially thought that he would want to bag the Giro so that he could have the 3 Grand Tours in the bag. I think he is a rider that peaks later than June so probably not going to do much on the Giro as he has always been better at the Vuelta. There was also a hold up today close to the last kilometre , so maybe too early to write the guy off yet. .

Yeah but when Froome & Sky have been sharp he's been the one pinching seconds from his GC rivals.

Last year he led the Vuelta from Stage 3 & Le Tour from Stage 5.

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yeah but when Froome & Sky have been sharp he's been the one pinching seconds from his GC rivals.

Last year he led the Vuelta from Stage 3 & Le Tour from Stage 5.

Indeed , BtB but both of those races are later in the season . Still too early to write him off . Let's see how well he is doing on the second week of the Tour when it comes , if he is allowed to ride it. .

Guest TPAFKATS
A few guys struggling today on a very long stage that was very up and down. Also a pinch point in the last couple of kilometres which caused a bit of chaos

27 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Is that the Robertson car park?

Yeah that did cross my mind , although , the hill up the Glenifer isnae that steep ; I know a guy in his 7ts that can still climb it well. .:)

ETA , I think I can see my house in the distance Tony . .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

14 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Indeed , BtB but both of those races are later in the season . Still too early to write him off . Let's see how well he is doing on the second week of the Tour when it comes , if he is allowed to ride it. .

I'd be miffed if I'd paid 2M Euros for a guy to use the race as a training exercise, :death  well we are in Sicily!

22 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'd be miffed if I'd paid 2M Euros for a guy to use the race as a training exercise, :death  well we are in Sicily!

Professional cycling eh. .

Even some of the amatuer races in this country are invitaion only , in fact there are cycling clubs not that far from here that are also , invitaion only. .:P

Tomorrow is the first big day for the GC contenders...………………

giro d'italia 2018 route     

Just as it looms over the residents of eastern Sicily, the imposing hulk of Mount Etna will have been a constant feature on the horizon for riders and fans from day one of the Giro. Its slopes will host the Giro’s first summit finish after a lumpy if not particularly long stage. Although it’s still very early days, this could be the first look we get at the GC contenders.

Of the numerous ways to tackle Etna, this isn’t the hardest, but it does have its difficulties. Barren slopes at the top are ripe for the sort of winds that all but neutralised the Etna stage last year, while an especially steep one-kilometre section halfway up could easily catch riders napping.

# Rider Name (Country) Team Result
1 Esteban Chaves (Col) Mitchelton-Scott 4:16:10  
2 Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott    
3 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ 0:00:26  
4 George Bennett (NZl) LottoNL-Jumbo    
5 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Bahrain-Merida    
6 Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team    
7 Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Movistar Team    
8 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb    
9 Fabio Aru (Ita) UAE Team Emirates    
10 Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky    
General classification after stage 6
# Rider Name (Country) Team Result
1 Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott 22:46:03  
2 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb 0:00:16  
3 Esteban Chaves (Col) Mitchelton-Scott 0:00:26  
4 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 0:00:43  
5 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ 0:00:45  
6 Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:53  
7 Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:01:03  
8 Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:01:10  
9 George Bennett (NZl) LottoNL-Jumbo 0:01:11  
10 Fabio Aru (Ita) UAE Team Emirates 0:01:12
Edited by Bud the Baker

53 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Well done to Yates on getting to be the man in Pink and leading the Corsa Rossa , with Froome in 8th there is still a chance for him but Simon is the now Brit' on the way up. .

Yeah, the commentators were going wild every time he dropped off the pack a bit, apart from Sean Kelly who noted that Froome tends to ride at a steady pace in these circumstances rather than follow the slow-slow-quick-quick-slow routine others do, it's proved successful in the past. The problem for Froome IMO is that the TeamSky lineup for this race looks comparatively weak.

A lot of riding still to go with the last "week" looking brutal.

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yeah, the commentators were going wild every time he dropped off the pack a bit, apart from Sean Kelly who noted that Froome tends to ride at a steady pace in these circumstances rather than follow the slow-slow-quick-quick-slow routine others do, it's proved successful in the past. The problem for Froome IMO is that the TeamSky lineup for this race looks comparatively weak.

A lot of riding still to go with the last "week" looking brutal.

As we know , Froome comes to the fore in the mountains , there is where we will see his worth . In the 2013 Tour , Froome crashed in the neutral zone . Then in 2015 in the Netherlands , Froome didn't crash but he lost 30-40 seconds with quite a lot of GC contenders like wee Berti but after 7 days that changed.

It is a long Corsa Rossa , so freshness and making sure you are going well in the third week will be key , the last 10days will separate the men from the boys. .

Missed todays stage - a few of the outsiders for GC snatched some time from the big guns. Having said that maybe Pinot should be considered a genuine contender.  

Edit - another crash for Froome but better news for him was that TeamSky looked stronger yesterday and were able to bring him back to thGC group.

One more mountain stage (another toughie especially after the last two) before the rest day.

Edited by Bud the Baker