Ntl 100mbps?

KennyS

Just got a new computer and had some problems setting up my broadband using the NTL installation disc. Phoned NTL and they said that the disc is not required if I have already registered, which I have. All I have to do is plug the ethernet cable into my machine and the machine will pick it up. I pay for the 1Mbps service

Anyway, the system is now up and running and when I place the cursor over my network connection it is telling me that I have a 100Mbps connection. Can this be really be true? Can't say that it is 100 times faster than my old system :unsure:

Edited by KennyS

Just got a new computer and had some problems setting up my broadband using the NTL installation disc. Phoned NTL and they said that the disc is not required if I have already registered, which I have. All I have to do is plug the ethernet cable into my machine and the machine will pick it up. I pay for the 1Mbps service

Anyway, the system is now up and running and when I place the cursor over my network connection it is telling me that I have a 100Mbps connection. Can this be really be true? Can't say that it is 100 times faster than my old system :unsure:

The 100Mb speed is the speed at which your computer is communicating with the NTL cable modem. This is basically a 100Mb network card connection hence your computer reports it as a 100Mb connection.

Your internet speed is actually dertermined by the speed of the communication between the cable modem and t'internet.

You can get a free speedtest online by Clicking Here and clicking the start button

This will tell you roughly what your speed is but internet connection speeds are prone to lots of different factors like the speed of the remote website, which country it is located in, how busy it is, how busy your local internet POP is, the MTU size on your machines network card, I could go on............... :P