Dissertation Research Into Official Online Communities...

Guest NeutrAL

Guest NeutrAL

Afternoon all,

I'm currently studying for my Honours and my Hons Project is on why the SPL clubs should use official online communities (forums/messageboards etc) and is there is a value to be gained from them (and what is that value).

I'm using St. Mirren as a case study thanks to them being one of only two SPL clubs (as far as I can tell, the other being Falkirk) that currently maintain official online communities (when in comparison all of the EPL clubs have them). I'd be interested in your opinions of the official forum, in particular:

The quality of the official forum

if you use it

reasons for using it (features/usability/information quality etc)

which of the forums you use more (this one or official) and why

why do you think it exists/can the club utilise it in a better way (ie link to commercial activities/information deposit/subscription membership ala Falkirk etc)

You may also be interested in visiting this link on the official forum where I already have a discussion in progress, although this may require registering if you haven't already.

Thanks

Edited by NeutrAL

I enjoy using forums - whether it's this one or the official site. Both forums though seem to have a completely different set of house rules, and with that a different type of atmosphere.

With any forum what you are getting is that you belong in a community, whether it's online well that's not relevant. It's a way to communicate with St Mirren fans who are based in Paisley, or all over the world. It's a place to voice your opinions and share them, with those who expect you to talk about St Mirren 24/7.

Blackandwhite Army is good as it's more relaxed, more freedom of speech and well some of the things discussed on here, have no connection to football in the slightest. It is a way to share information about who is going to the game, start new songs, debate and find out who has a spare ticket for the next match.

I also use the official forum, but it's a different atmoshphere over there. The site is more strictly moderated so that it's line with the clu. In my opinion, they do a tremendous job over there and it's easy to get involved with discussions over various things.

I think it's great that St Mirren Football Club have shown the initative in having their own forum - as it's a place they can control, what is being discussed. While nobody will stop someone having their say about poor performances or a bad decision, everything will be watched. It's also a good place to here the official news first, and with that you know the sources are credible.

So, yes it's definately a good thing for the club to have it's forum and it's official voice - but equally important that independant forums play their part.

Good luck with your Dissertation!

I enjoy using forums - whether it's this one or the official site. Both forums though seem to have a completely different set of house rules, and with that a different type of atmosphere.

With any forum what you are getting is that you belong in a community, whether it's online well that's not relevant. It's a way to communicate with St Mirren fans who are based in Paisley, or all over the world. It's a place to voice your opinions and share them, with those who expect you to talk about St Mirren 24/7.

Blackandwhite Army is good as it's more relaxed, more freedom of speech and well some of the things discussed on here, have no connection to football in the slightest. It is a way to share information about who is going to the game, start new songs, debate and find out who has a spare ticket for the next match.

I also use the official forum, but it's a different atmoshphere over there. The site is more strictly moderated so that it's line with the clu. In my opinion, they do a tremendous job over there and it's easy to get involved with discussions over various things.

I think it's great that St Mirren Football Club have shown the initative in having their own forum - as it's a place they can control, what is being discussed. While nobody will stop someone having their say about poor performances or a bad decision, everything will be watched. It's also a good place to here the official news first, and with that you know the sources are credible.

So, yes it's definately a good thing for the club to have it's forum and it's official voice - but equally important that independant forums play their part.

Good luck with your Dissertation!

I am dying to comment about the official site but if I do I'll be barred from the Cockles bus :zipit:wink:

What subject are you doing?

What uni?

Where approximately are you from?

Are you a Buddie?

When is it due?

If we had a bit more information it could help to tailor the response. Members cover a whole cross-section of the community and there may even be an "expert" in your subject that may offer help.

Hopefully see you on the bus to Aberdeen then Joe :)

I'm flying up to aberdeen and getting the CW bus back to paisley.

That is to say I am getting a flight before any smart arses chip in idea.gif

Edited by Joe

Guest NeutrAL

I'm at Napier Uni in Edinburgh, studying Information Technology Management. The project will be applying apppropriate business tools and frameworks to the use of online communities in football, as well as looking at theories surrounding gaining value from online communities.

I'm approximately from near Paisley and i'm not a Buddie, but i'm fairly active in the world of Scottish football online communities to have a decent grasp of the subject and to know that the St. Mirren setup and activity is as vibrant and organised as any.

And it's due in next month (for various reasons)....so i'm *almost* starting to panic!

I should have said at the start, and sort of hinted at it later, but if anyone would prefer to PM me a response then that is more than acceptable. It will of course be treated in strict confidence. cheers

I'm at Napier Uni in Edinburgh, studying Information Technology Management. The project will be applying apppropriate business tools and frameworks to the use of online communities in football, as well as looking at theories surrounding gaining value from online communities.

I'm approximately from near Paisley and i'm not a Buddie, but i'm fairly active in the world of Scottish football online communities to have a decent grasp of the subject and to know that the St. Mirren setup and activity is as vibrant and organised as any.

And it's due in next month (for various reasons)....so i'm *almost* starting to panic!

I should have said at the start, and sort of hinted at it later, but if anyone would prefer to PM me a response then that is more than acceptable. It will of course be treated in strict confidence. cheers

Here's a LINK to a recent thread that should be helpful. It saves me re-typing some stuff that I posted. Try the search facility to dig deeper.

Have fun with your project.

Edited by SMFCOK

He is a soap dodger from Gr**nock.

100% M*rt*n fan.

Poor guy :lol::lol:

The quality of the official forum

Quite tediously dull. A tadge over-moderated.

if you use it

No.

reasons for using it (features/usability/information quality etc)

The biggest reason for me not using it has been the frankly ridiculous system of having to register in order to access the entire official website - unless you've done this, you can't access anything on the site, including the forum. I was registered but at some point a couple of years back something went wrong with my registration and, after losing the will to live trying to sort it out, I decided that I couldn't be arsed with it when there is (in my opinion) a far superior and far more user-friendly website right here in Black & White Army which serves my needs perfectly well. As far as I'm aware, there is absolutely nothing I could get from the official site which I cannot get via B&W Army, and there is plenty I get from B&W Army that I cannot get from the Official site.

which of the forums you use more (this one or official) and why

This one - see above.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NeutrAL

Part of the project is going to be data collection and analysis, probably by way of a questionnaire (discussing the value of forums, comparisions between official and unofficial etc).

Would the forum moderators have any objections to me posting it on here/in one of the forums? I can certainly provide them with a copy before I post it. Answers can be by PM to preserve anonymity etc....

cheers

Part of the project is going to be data collection and analysis, probably by way of a questionnaire (discussing the value of forums, comparisions between official and unofficial etc).

Would the forum moderators have any objections to me posting it on here/in one of the forums? I can certainly provide them with a copy before I post it. Answers can be by PM to preserve anonymity etc....

cheers

I'd have no problem with you posting a questionnaire on this thread - carry on by all means.