Top 5 Live Bands

houston_bud

Guest Jeddy

These are gigs that I've been told were excellent including my own opinion on ones I went to.

1. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (Barrowlands - Both gigs last year were fantastic)

2. The Vines (Mate said the atmosphere was amazing)

3. Oasis (My mate said Oasis put on a great show at Braehead.....I think theyre s***e tho!!)

4. Coldplay

5. JJ72 (2 words - Hilary Woods.....shame she's left) :(:rolleyes:

Edited by Jeddy

1. Spiritualized (in King Tut's 1997)

2. Oasis (the old Cathouse 1994 - saw them last year for the first time in 8 years

at Braehead and they were s***e)

3. The Charlatans (Barrowlands 1994/1995)

4. Doves (Barrowlands 2002)

5. Lo Fidelity Allstars (both at King Tuts and the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh)

1) R E M supported by Beautiful South at McAlpine Stadium 1994

2) Big Country - Barrowland / London / Mancs / Liverpool

3) Manic St Preachers - Liverpool 1996 - then Mancs 2002 Gt Hits tour

4) Runrig supporting U2 at Murrayfield - but there stirling gig - televised for stv a month later was top aswell

5) Belle and Sebastian - Preston 2001

worst gig - got to be New order 1987 at the secc - like watching your dad try out your new casio at xmas!

worst gig - got to be New order 1987 at the secc - like watching your dad try out your new casio at xmas!

Saw New Order last year at the Barrowland.

Thought they were excellent, but they apparently stank the following night and walked off stage early.

I cat wait till T in the park this year, last year was excellent, Ian Brown, Oasis, Sonic Youth, Primal Scream, The Shining.

This year John Squire (who i missed at the Barrowlands in Februrary cos i had an exam the next day), the charlatons, coldplay, REM, there's talk of Richard Ashcroft too and Audioslave which would be excellent

Saw Oasis in Newcastle last year, were absolutely brilliant.

Think the lineup for T this year is very disappointing. Coldplay and REM maybe good bands, but they aint bands that are gonna rock the show. Would love to see Charlatons live, but not interested in any of the other bands this year as I can remember from the lineup.

Top gigs:-

1. Peter Gabriel - Madison Square Garden & SECC

2. James - Barrowlands 1997 - support band The Audience featuring Sophie Ellis Bextor.

3. U2 - Barrowlands - 1984.

4. Alice Cooper - SECC 1989 - a horror show put to thunderously good music.

5. Rush - SECC 1988 & 1992 - best band ever to walk the planet.

Other great gigs - Iron Maiden at the Apollo '84, REM at the Barrowlands '89, T in the Park 1999, Julian Cope at King Tut's 2000 and any time the Manics ahve played to name but a few.

Went to see New Order at the second night at the Barrowlands about 18 months ago. They were absloutely brilliant for an hour and five minutes then just walked off and didn't come back on. Well on the way to becoming one of the best gigs I'd ever been to but that really spoiled it, stroppy b*****ds.

Mind you, coming out of the mosh pit soaked in sweat there was Motherwell board member and former Scotland internationalist Pat Nevin. Wierd situation. :blink:

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

Ian Brown is one the worst live acts I've ever seen.

The best

The Clash, The Ramones, Rush, Happy Mondays and the Stray Cats..................

where did u see ian brown bongo?

i saw him 3 times last year, barrowlands in april, t in the park and supporting the manics in december.

i thought he was brilliant at the barrowlands and t in the park, he wasnt the best at the manics but some nights you fall and some nights you fly, if you want perfection listen to a cd. i would definately go and see him again

Ian Brown is one the worst live acts I've ever seen.

Have to agree.

Although i haven't seen him solo, i saw The Stone Roses at Reading in 1996 and he was pretty awful but i suppose the band was over by that point anyway.

They were a bit better at the Barrowlands the year before but i really wish i hadn't seen them as they were never as good as i'd hoped they'd be (playing almost all of The Second Comming instead of the classics didn't help much either).

1. U2 at Porkheid

2. U2 at Murrayfield

3. Oasis at Balloch

4. Primal Scream at the Barrowlands

5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at T in the park

Can't wait till T in the Park this year. Think the line is great...Coldplay, REM, The Charlatans, The Music (fcukin brilliant live), The Coral, Ian Brown......good lordy... whit a feckin weekend that's gonna be!!!!!

4/ AC/DC - SECC 2000

AAAARRGGGHHHH!!!! F*CK!!!! Forgot about that one! Who the hell could I????

That was one of THE best ever gigs in the history of rock music. Got the bootleg from the Barras and it was as good as I remember. My hearing went during the solo in Whole Lotta Rosie but I wasn't caring in the slightest. Superb gig. Absolutely brilliant! Well said, that man.

Soundtrack of Our Lives were recommended to me by a former Swedish workmate so I got Behind The Music and a damn fine album it is as well. They also told me to check out Unon Carbide Production but so far can't find any of their stuff. Ach well.

Have to ask, where is the Melkweg?

Wasn't quite sure but I thought that's where it was. I realised that was Flemish anyway.

And by the way, you'll address me as Howard, thank you very much. I didn't work hard to earn all that money so that I could eff off to NYC and go into reclusiveness for nowt, y'know.

Guest SWLNG
AAAARRGGGHHHH!!!! F*CK!!!! Forgot about that one! Who the hell could I????

That was one of THE best ever gigs in the history of rock music.

Is that despite the fact that you got your ticket from a tout and paid more than double its face value? :P

I beg your pardon I did bugger all of the kind. I bought my ticket from a tout outside and paid exactly double the face value, not more.

I had been promised a ticket, mind you. However that didn't materialise unfortunately.

And by the way, it was worth every feckin' penny!

ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! ANGUS!!! Da-na-na-NA-na-nana!!!

I had the misfortune to witness both Ian Brown and Paul Weller at Old Trafford Cricket Ground last year. I suffered the whole of the Monkey Man's set but f**ked off 2 songs into the Modw****r. Shed 7 & Joe Strummer were both fantastic. I am well into the recorded works of the Stone Roses. It just shows what a wonderful thing 'production' is.

Ian Brown was an absolute shambles supporting the Manics at the SECC. His cover of Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal/Billy Jean (which was it ?) was one of the worst covers I have ever heard.

Best for me:

Blur - Mile End stadium, 1995

Hothouse Flowers - Barrowland, 1991

U2 - Parkhead, Christ knows what year

Kevin McDermott Orchestra - 1990

Manics - SECC, last year

Other than the Manics, I reckon the years are a bit hazy.

Union Carbide Productions were one of Kurt Cobain's favourite bands (not that that makes them good, mind you). They split in the mid-late 90's but reformed as...The Soundtrack of Our Lives. So now ye know.

Saw the KMO at the Barras sometime in 1990 also. What a fine band.