The World Cup R.i.p.

shull

In regard to 'brand USA' and 'soccer'... A weird role reversal is going on. Millions more kids are playing soccer, as parents baulk at the physical dangers of American football, and the expense involved in kit.

On a professional level, Beckham is fronting a new MLS expansion side in Miami, soccer is vastly more visible in the press, and the American public are increasingly clued-in on soccer. I experienced this first hand many times a few weeks ago, when Americans spoke to me in terms that when they heard I was Scottish, they knew about The Rangers implosion, and our national side had been getting better results recently.

In regard to American football - three regular season games at Wembley, all sold out 8 months in advance, new university teams springing up, TV viewing figures up 50% for season games and also up for the Superbowl. Talk of a London franchise, regular roadshows around the UK with NFL players and Sky Sports prsenters, an NFL Europe shop....

Funny old world right enough.

We've heard many times about the renaissance of football in America and so far it has always fizzled out. Strange when you take into account the huge numbers of Americans whose forefathers came from football daft countries all over Europe and South America. I've had the feeling for a few years that possibly again they might be on the cusp of a new era for football in the USA. If it peters out again it will be a shame. I suppose a lot more money would come into the worldwide game if it really takes off, but I suppose that would be a two-edged sword.

We've heard many times about the renaissance of football in America and so far it has always fizzled out. Strange when you take into account the huge numbers of Americans whose forefathers came from football daft countries all over Europe and South America. I've had the feeling for a few years that possibly again they might be on the cusp of a new era for football in the USA. If it peters out again it will be a shame. I suppose a lot more money would come into the worldwide game if it really takes off, but I suppose that would be a two-edged sword.

There is huge interest when the world cups take place - and i would say that in Charlotte there was much more interest this time than 4 years ago - there were 2 large fan parks set up for the US games and and those were full for all 4 games and the pubs have all reported big increases in revenue when the US were playing. I believe it might take another generation before they become a power in the world game but i think you'd be amazed at how many football pitches there are around here vastly outnumbering american football and baseball pitches so they will have the players coming through if as a country they really want to go for it. What does seem to be happening now is that the tv companies are taking the game (nothing to do with advertising revenues of course) much more seriously. Until recently you would see virtually nothing on the main channels - last season though the English premier league was on NBC and the FA Cup and Champions league games were on FOX and Fox sport - not always on the main channel but much more accessble to the ordinary Joe who wouldn't pay a subscription for Fox soccer (now dead) or Fox soccer plus (still just about alive and where they show the Scottish games). Bein sport show Spanish, French & Italian games and you can get German, Dutch and the South American leagues on various channels so that shows i think that there is sufficient interest if they can put the pieces together. I think the real key to it is that they need to expand domestic leagues to generate more interest in that at local level - but i can see how that's difficult to do in such a big country starting from such a low base. Will be interesting to see how it goes. It's a shame as well that they lost last night as a quarter final on Saturday against Argentina on July 4th weekend would have turned into one huge piss up.thumbdown.gif