So Farewell Then...Ursula K. Le Guin

Bud the Baker

Fantasy & Sci-Fi author Ursula K. Le Guin has died aged 88. Coming from an anthropological background her work focussed on the human aspects of other possibilities rather than being Tech obsessed or just Cowboys & Indians in space. She won so many awards she must've needed an exceptionally large mantelpiece!

Despite sales in the millions her work hasn't been adapted for TV/Film with the exception of Tales From Earthsea (a tale about a young wizard with a facial scar who goes to wizarding school and must eventually face his evil nemesis to save the world - sound familiar?) which has been done twice - a Studio Ghibli anime which I'd recommend and a Sci-Fi Channel mini-series which I wouldn't, she didn't either calling it a "far cry from the Earthsea I envisioned", objecting both to the use of white actors for her red, brown, or black-skinned characters, and to the way she was "cut out of the process".

Farewell Wizzywig - RIP.

Edited by Bud the Baker

32 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I take it you Cut and Pasted that?

Did you understand any of it..?

I got the 88 year old bit, that JR Rowling was  far better writer obviously ,and that she has died

Regardless RIP whoever you were

Only the quote, she was a far more original writer than JK Rowling has been or is likely to be. Rowling had to leak the true authorship of her crime novels before she could get folk to read them. None of Le Guin's minor characters are as ill defined as Rowling's alliterative ones like Luna Lovegood, Ted Tonks and too many others to mention. I've read both and know which author I prefer.

The purpose of the quote about the Sci-Fi Channel's version of Earthsea was to show Le Guin's characters were culturally & racially diverse 40 years before it became a fashion. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

Only the quote, she was a far more original writer than JK Rowling has been or is likely to be. Rowling had to leak the true authorship of her crime novels before she could get folk to read them. None of Le Guin's minor characters are as ill defined as Rowling's alliterative ones like Luna Lovegood, Ted Tonks and too many others to mention. I've read both and know which author I prefer.

Mate she is obviously very important to you so respect:D