Connection Problems?

Tennant's Lager

Tonight's been a bit strange on the net here...some things started playing up earlier. For starters it was just google (my homepage) so I thought they were having a problem as every other site seemed to be fine (and still does). Tried google earth to see if that'd work and sure enough that was only able to get things that were already in the cache as it couldn't get onto the server. :blink:

Cleared the cookies and temp internet files as per normal when dealing with probs, and that seemed to do the trick, but it seems a few other things are a bit iffy now. In doing a set of scans (Spybot S&D, AdAware & Norton) I was able to update S&D & AdAware but getting onto Norton's LiveUpdate was a non-starter. No problems were found at all in any of the scans though, which was obviously good....

Then lately, I've not been able to get onto AIM as the service can't be reached, and even MSN was dodgy for a few minutes though I'm back on it now. Couldn't even get album info from Windows Media Player for ripping some CDs. God knows if I'll be able to get back on msn when I log off after this session mind. :o

I'm on ntl broadband and checked to see if there's any planned service disruption, and sure enough there's meant to be some stuff going on in this area...but this feels more like a problem here than there...I mean, surfing anywhere else is fine... *touchwood* - I'd expect the whole freaking thing to be out if that's where the probs are. :wacko:

Anyone got any idea what the feck is going on? :unsure:

Edited by Tennant's Lager

Tonight's been a bit strange on the net here...some things started playing up earlier. For starters it was just google (my homepage) so I thought they were having a problem as every other site seemed to be fine (and still does). Tried google earth to see if that'd work and sure enough that was only able to get things that were already in the cache as it couldn't get onto the server. :blink:

Cleared the cookies and temp internet files as per normal when dealing with probs, and that seemed to do the trick, but it seems a few other things are a bit iffy now. In doing a set of scans (Spybot S&D, AdAware & Norton) I was able to update S&D & AdAware but getting onto Norton's LiveUpdate was a non-starter. No problems were found at all in any of the scans though, which was obviously good....

Then lately, I've not been able to get onto AIM as the service can't be reached, and even MSN was dodgy for a few minutes though I'm back on it now. Couldn't even get album info from Windows Media Player for ripping some CDs. God knows if I'll be able to get back on msn when I log off after this session mind. :o

I'm on ntl broadband and checked to see if there's any planned service disruption, and sure enough there's meant to be some stuff going on in this area...but this feels more like a problem here than there...I mean, surfing anywhere else is fine... *touchwood* - I'd expect the whole freaking thing to be out if that's where the probs are. :wacko:

Anyone got any idea what the feck is going on? :unsure:

I had a similar problem ages ago. It turned out to be a prblem with the local nameserver. The bad news is, NTL technical support hadn't a fúckin clue what was wrong or how to fix it. It just gradually came back all by itself.

I had a similar problem ages ago. It turned out to be a prblem with the local nameserver. The bad news is, NTL technical support hadn't a fúckin clue what was wrong or how to fix it. It just gradually came back all by itself.

got the same prob with ntl tonight

Cheers Div & Reidy...and for the honesty Toon :P

So guys, should I actually need to do anything or do you think things will just sort themselves out without me tampering with things? :huh:

Aye, ntl tech support are utterly useless. We should prolly move from them but everything's locked in as it is, TV, (analog cable for terrestrial and sport as we're in a shitty reception area) phone, the lot... :rolleyes: