Top 5 National Anthems

Guest Pompey

'Roses of Prince Charlie' is up there as a potential, however if your going for one with no words, 'Highland Cathedral' is the one we should have! A lone piper at Murrayfield plays it before the Rugby, and let me tell you its class!

The Scar Strangled Banner is the most pompous and arrogant piece of tosh ever to be committed to the ear drums. Land of the free, is it? Home of the brave? Yeah, it's free as long as you say what everyone else wants and you don't upset the status quo. As for home of the brave well it was before all the white blokes turned up and slaughtered them. America the Beautiful? Who says the Yanks don't get irony?

What a f**king surprise. Someone with typically anti-American bias hates the Star Spangled Banner. Land of the free - what do you expect - "Land of the extra large sweatshirt and double cheeseburger". Of course not - every national anthem has something included to lift the populace up. If this means that the native Americans don't like it, then tough shit. Sung by 50,000 New Yorkers, it is a hair raising spiritual experience - I have been involved in nothing like this and that includes Scotland at 2 World Cups and countless other sportinge events.

I don't know if there is an easier target than the American national anthem, but there probably is not. Still a suggestion that the American people do not get irony is pretty original. Well done. Never heard that before.

Might be tough to sing but it will lift its people up like nothing else. Trust me, I know.

i am watching the Superbowl , and that was the worst version of the American National Anthem ive ever heard ! The ones sung at the baseball were miles better

Best rendition of the Yankee Anthem I've ever heard was prolly Reba McEntire singing it to open Wrestlemania 8 at the Hoosier Dome (1992). She fairly belted it out aye, but it's still too difficult for the average punter to sing imo Bajan. :unsure:

Not being funny, but do you have any American connections? Just your defence of it is untypically vigourous for you man, and yer normally ice cool on here. B)

Not being funny, but do you have any American connections? Just your defence of it is untypically vigourous for you man, and yer normally ice cool on here. B)

TL, no US connections at all - just think the average American punter is not as stereotypically thick and vapid as we cynical Brits like to think. And, like SN1F, I just thin the anthem is uplifting - but the Superbowl one was pish - in keeping with the game itself...

TL - thanks for the ice cool shout - might consider changing my name... :D:D

my favourites are

1. Flower Of Scotland (Scotland)

2. Advance Australia Fair (Australia)

3. Land Of My Father (Wales)

4. Scotland The Brave (Scotland)

5. La Marsellies (France)

Rule Britainnia shit because rangers fans think they are english and sing it at every game

God Save The Queen because a verse about crushing scots well f**k the english

The Great Escape tune as it is the only tune the england fans know

Guest El Barto

'Scotland's Story' The Proclaimers

Nows there is a tune for racial equality with the mention of England not in hatred, but in friendship! <_< Ach well at least we can pretend to like them!